Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Remote Start UK

Chunx4t

Hi Folks has anyone installed the remote start to their Edge? I read a post from 2016 on the subject, but it went off topic as the car was fitted with the original Sync 2 and there was no conclusion.

20 hours ago, shocks said:

not sure how that works tbh

I've seen a couple of videos on youtube, but they are from the US/Canada, there are kits available which simply connect into the existing loom, and it only take about 10 minutes to install, I was just wondering if anyone over here had fitted it. I might just bite the bullet and go for it.

I assume it just starts the car from your keyfob keeping the car locked. I haven't looked into it tbh. is there a benefit? 

1 hour ago, shocks said:

I assume it just starts the car from your keyfob keeping the car locked. I haven't looked into it tbh. is there a benefit? 

You can heat or cool (Not so much) the car before you get in it, and defrost the windows.

interesting but I wouldn't bother. id feel you have to go into the car to turn the screen heater on etc or remember to set things up before switching off the night before. that's how I understood how it works. might work for u tho.

It's not legal in the UK unless on private land.

According to The Road Traffic (Construction and use) Regulations 1986;

Regulation 98

The driver of a vehicle shall, when the vehicle in stationary, stop the action of any machinery attached to or forming part of the vehicle so far as may be necessary for the prevention of noise or of exhaust emissions.

Regulation 107

No person shall leave, or cause or permit to be left, on a road a motor vehicle which is not attended by a person licensed to drive it unless the engine is stopped and any parking brake with which the vehicle is required to be equipped is effectively set.

Technically it is an offence more commonly referred to as 'Quitting' and is usually dealt with by means of a fixed penalty fine.

Anyway, for it to be installed the car must have an automatic gearbox and as with regards to insurance purposes it may invalidate your policy as it bypasses the factory immobiliser (even though the car will stop if put into gear without a key being present).

I had a vehicle with remote start whilst living in America and it was very useful as it was very hot in the summer and a tendency to deep snow in the winter.

I did have it deactivated in the end though as it caused problems with the ignition relay at times which stopped the vehicle from starting at all and on a couple of occasions the vehicle cut out at highway speed which was not much fun.

Sent from my SM-G965F (S9+)

• Like 1

Nice idea but they don't seem to ship to the UK.

Probably because it would be illegal to  use one in the UK, however cool. It's called 'quitting'. Some forces enforce, others don't.

If anyone can get one and its OK, i might give it a go as well.

H

Because it's probably illegal in the UK and never offered as an option here I would have thought the official Ford install is likely to be for petrol models only. Remote start is a very USA thing. In Europe auxiliary fuel burning heaters are generally preferred which can of course be started remotely aa well. My previous LR Discovery had one, it's a lovely thing in the winter going out to a completely defrosted and 20 deg C car 15 minutes after pressing the remote button or setting the timer. One of the only things I'll miss about my Discovery come the winter.

14 hours ago, shocks said:

interesting but I wouldn't bother. id feel you have to go into the car to turn the screen heater on etc or remember to set things up before switching off the night before. that's how I understood how it works. might work for u tho.

It can be preset to your preffered settings via the remote start and has automatic climate control so will heat or cool depending on outside temperature.

14 hours ago, Stoney871 said:

It's not legal in the UK unless on private land.

According to The Road Traffic (Construction and use) Regulations 1986;

Regulation 98

The driver of a vehicle shall, when the vehicle in stationary, stop the action of any machinery attached to or forming part of the vehicle so far as may be necessary for the prevention of noise or of exhaust emissions.

Regulation 107

No person shall leave, or cause or permit to be left, on a road a motor vehicle which is not attended by a person licensed to drive it unless the engine is stopped and any parking brake with which the vehicle is required to be equipped is effectively set.

Technically it is an offence more commonly referred to as 'Quitting' and is usually dealt with by means of a fixed penalty fine.

Anyway, for it to be installed the car must have an automatic gearbox and as with regards to insurance purposes it may invalidate your policy as it bypasses the factory immobiliser (even though the car will stop if put into gear without a key being present).

I had a vehicle with remote start whilst living in America and it was very useful as it was very hot in the summer and a tendency to deep snow in the winter.

I did have it deactivated in the end though as it caused problems with the ignition relay at times which stopped the vehicle from starting at all and on a couple of occasions the vehicle cut out at highway speed which was not much fun.

Am I right in thinking then that these regs stipulate that you can neither leave your vehicle or remain in it with the engine running whilst it is stationary?

• Like 1

Am I right in thinking then that these regs stipulate that you can neither leave your vehicle or remain in it with the engine running whilst it is stationary?

Indeed, as per regulation 98 above.

My old Rover 75 estate had remote start, still illegal back then too

• Like 1

That law is only on the road though...  If you can afford a new Edge I'd guess you've probably got off street parking, if not a garage as well?

Just go out in your jim'jams and wellies and start it yourself!!

H

2 hours ago, Stoney871 said:

Indeed, as per regulation 98 above.

Ach well I'll be breaking the law either way, might as well do it with a cup of coffee in the comfort of my armchair...lol

1 hour ago, Hamster said:

Just go out in your jim'jams and wellies and start it yourself!!

H

I have a wife......lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

That law is only on the road though...  If you can afford a new Edge I'd guess you've probably got off street parking, if not a garage as well?

I have neither, my house was built in 1860 and although detached the need for off street parking or garages was not considered back then, so not enough space either side to get the motor round the back.

Ach well I'll be breaking the law either way, might as well do it with a cup of coffee in the comfort of my armchair...lol

Tbh you're unlikely to get pulled unless you're very unlucky but bear the law in mind.
My car warms up and thaws out pretty quickly as standard and I'm lucky enough that my work car has securerun on it anyway for the comfort of the dogs in the back.
At the press of a button it bypasses the ignition relay so the car can be left running without a key in order to keep the dog crate aircon, radio and anpr system running without killing the batteries but will cut if anyone tries to put it in gear or press the clutch pedal.
I know it's basically comparable to a remote start system except you have to start with the key and you can't do it remotely.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chunx4t said:

I have neither, my house was built in 1860 and although detached the need for off street parking or garages was not considered back then, so not enough space either side to get the motor round the back.

Where did they store the horse and cart? 😮

Fair enough though lol.

1 minute ago, TomsFocus said:

Where did they store the horse and cart? 😮

Fair enough though lol.

My Street late 1800's

Street Life 1890.png

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chunx4t said:

My Street late 1800's

Street Life 1890.png

That's really interesting tbh. :smile:

Where I live was still a farmer's field 15 years ago let alone 150!  Does mean there's plenty of off street parking here though!  

37 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

That's really interesting tbh. :smile:

Where I live was still a farmer's field 15 years ago let alone 150!  Does mean there's plenty of off street parking here though!  

How it looks more recently...without all the cars in the street, every house now has at least two cars

2017.png

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club