Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2010 econetic 1.6 tdci - engine tapping after cambelt change

SkinnyP

Hi guys.

I'm a Ford newbie and am hoping for a little advice.  I've bought a used econetic 2010 and insisted on a timing belt change before the purchase.  They replaced the belt and pump etc as well as filters, oil and filter housing / casing which had a small leak.

I've had the car for just a week and it was driving and sounding nice.  I drive like a priest so haven't given the engine any beatings.

About 50 miles in and I gave it some revs - about 3000 (high for me), whilst in neutral, and the engine became much noisier with a noticeable tapping which is now continuous.  It sounds like it's across the top of the engine near the front of the car.

Will it be safe to drive (if driving back to purchase place, will 55 mph motorway driving be safe option or should I stick to A roads?), what's likely the cause of the noise and why would it come on after about 50 miles / a weeks driving and all of a sudden?

No engine warning lights and I only drive slow but no noticeable loss in speed/power.

The car has a full service history including a new turbo fitted within the last year.  Has covered 120k miles.

Thanks in advance.

12 hours ago, SkinnyP said:

About 50 miles in and I gave it some revs - about 3000 (high for me), whilst in neutral, and the engine became much noisier with a noticeable tapping which is now continuous.  It sounds like it's across the top of the engine near the front of the car.

Diesels usually have a distinct tapping noise due to the rapid combustion and resulting rapid rise in cylinder pressure. This can vary a bit according to the "mood" the engine is in: type of fuel, ECU adaptions, temperature, carbon build up in the cylinder, etc, etc.

However, if the noise change is pronounced and continuous, and especially if it happens on over-drive (coasting downhill with no fuel injections) then one possibility is the garage got the valve timing slightly wrong. At the higher revs, maybe a valve just touched a piston. Although the 1.6 has automatic adjusting tappets, it might still make a tapping noise, most audible close to the open oil filler cap.

A few more miles while keeping the rpm down is unlikely to do any real additional harm. If it is a valve problem, it could result in a bit more damage to the valve, but the head would have to come off to replace the valve anyway. So it is not really any the worse. 

It does depend on how much you trust the dealer handling the warranty. I have bought cars from some very dodgy dealers in the past, one totally mucked up a simple radiator change. I would only entrust work on cam belts and valve timing to a garage who I think deserves that trust. If necessary, go to an independant garage you trust for an inspection or timing check.

• Like 1

Thanks Peter for the detailed response.

I shot a short vid today to try capture the sound (and moved the camera around to peek at the injectors.  There's no hiss from them or fresh fuel but they look like they may have previously needed some attention).

This demonstrates the noise.  A local Ford tech confirmed everything you said. (. . Do you ork near me as a Ford mechanic?) Hehe.

Thanks Pete.  I intend to get it bfack to the seller for repair - it's warranted for three months and am only into week two.

5 hours ago, SkinnyP said:

I intend to get it back to the seller for repair

I had a listen, but could not pin point the noise. The normal racket of a diesel idle hides many noises. There did seem to be a metallic knocking, but it could be a lot of things, from a rattling heat shield or any loose bit of metal, to tappets or valve noise.

A bit of rubber hose makes quite a good stethoscope to try to locate and isolate odd sounds, just don't get it caught in the aux belt or fan! I assume the noise is audible inside the car, sometimes it is more noticeable there as the sound absorbing systems are designed to quieten normal engine noise. How it varies with rpm and load, especially with no load, can be useful.

If the dealer is reliable and competent, they will make a serious attempt to locate and fix any problem. Or they could fob you off with any old story, or just do nothing of significance and tell you it is fixed. So the more you know about it beforehand, the better.

I can't tell from the video. In my experience injector seal leak is normally a chuffing noise. On my old 1.6tdci they all leaked at different times and I fixed them by doing the retaining nuts a little tighter (the nuts you put an allen key bit in the top of each one). I was lucky. I think the longer it leaks the less chance this fix working.  Do not overtighten, if you snap it or strip it, you will have a very tricky time fixing it. 

There's a definite metallic rattle there.  Might be worth checking the crank pulley is running straight and true.

Also, possibly a silly question but have you checked the oil level is correct?

• Like 1

Sounds a little tappity if you ask me. its over cylinder one and doesn't sound all that dissimilar to a noise I had with the hydraulic lifters, usually fixed for a short time with an oil change.

• Like 1