Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.6 Focus Ecoboost whine...

darkening vii

Hey all,

i got a 2012 1.6 ecoboost titanium that has developed a couple of issues and may be related 🤷‍♂️ And I’m hoping someone may be able to shed some light on it...

ok so about the car first I have had it 3 years when I got it, it had 12k on the clock and I was the second owner, car was purchased through a ford dealer and has always been serviced/mot’d at the same dealer.

i have always noticed a whoosh noise from the turbo when changing gear and I know this is the turbo. But recently it’s been “fluttering/chattering” rather than whooshing, then is developed a whine from the engine bay. Below is a clip of the whine.

Now I know the car has a recall which I have booked into ford 4 times,, every time to be rung the day before it goes in to cancel as they don’t have the parts!  I have taken the car to ford to be checked out they say that a hose was faulty and replaced but obviously that’s not fixed the issue, so do you people have any idea what’s going on with my car?.

https://youtu.be/J0mHRRMSwzA

Yes, it doesn’t seem as loud when you rev it. When the car is cold you can hardly hear it but if you drive it, leave it for a few minutes then go back the noise is there 

you are aware these go bang regularly with turbo failure?

I would sort before you need a new engine.... it might be pricey needing a turbo…. but a turbo and an engine plus fitting is 3 -5 k more

So does it sound turbo related? I took it to ford to get it checked they said they did not know what it was 🤷‍♂️ I’m not happy driving it with this whine/turbo noise.

Hi

Turbo's whine when they are failing.  Does the car use oil? turbo's start letting oil into the inlet when they are worn.  Warning when it lets go it may send bits of metal into the engine which will damage it beyond repair.

• Like 1

Not as far as I can see, no smoke on start up or when driving it

just spotted your youtube link

it might make more sense to shoot it with the engine revs changing (try to get the turbo to do something, at idle its basically doing nothing)....  it sounds a bit like you have a leak on a vacuum side.  a good dealer ought to know exactly what that is...

either way these engine have turbo issues and they fail....  as others have written many times look for "ecoboom" features with thousands of unhappy owners

Hey just seen the reply I have it booked in at the dealership again as the car has a recall. I will see what they have to say

• 2 years later...

My car is making the same sound but I removed the air intake from the airbox and the sound is resonating through the pipe, from the turbo. Did you replace your turbo and it was fixed?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club