Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coolant Leak

Bethanie1992

Hi All,

I have a coolant leak and can't pinpoint where it is leaking. I have the 2013 1.5 diesel econetic. Whenever i topped up the coolant to the max level after couple of days it's down to the min level. I have checked the pipe works and cannot see any obvious leaks or loose connections (in my old corsa it was a loose jubilee clip). I check under the car aswell and can't see any leaks on the floor. I doesn't loose the whole lot coolant so it's baffling me. I have now topped it up 3 times to the max level as i read online there might be an air bubble in the pipes and it can take some filling up but i still have the same issue. Just find it odd that it constantly sits at the min level.

Has anyone else had a similar issue? Don't want to take it to the garage to be told the expansion tank or the heater matrix needs replacing etc if it doesn't.

When I had a leak on my previous 1.6tdci it was from the plastic thermostat cover. I could not find it until I added radweld to the coolant. This sealed it for a while but then leaked again. But, at least when it leaked with the radweld in it, the red radweld left a red streak down the engine so I could see where the leak came from. 

I had a similar problem in an 06 Fiesta.   Gave it a dose of BarsLeaks and it's still going strong now.

Personally wouldn't bother adding stuff (such as radweld etc.) to the coolant. If it can block up a leaky radiator, what else is it going to block up at the same time?

Back when I had a 1.6tdci it was blasting coolant out the exhaust. Never figured out how it was happening - didn't appear to be head gasket as both oil and coolant were clean. Are you getting a lot of white smoke out the exhaust?

11 hours ago, jbell said:

Back when I had a 1.6tdci it was blasting coolant out the exhaust. Never figured out how it was happening - didn't appear to be head gasket as both oil and coolant were clean. Are you getting a lot of white smoke out the exhaust?

Could be headgasket, they can fail between cylinder and waterway so won't affect oil at all.  Could also be EGR cooler if you had one of those.  No other points where coolant can get into the exhaust.

As for the original post...does it ever drop further than minimum?  The cap is designed to let out excess pressure, and if overfilled it'll let out coolant as well.  Some cars just do sit on the minimum mark, as long as it doesn't drop below that it'll be fine.

Had a gen 7 Celica like that, never had a leak but it never showed above minimum, every time i tryed to get it to max it just spat it back out.

Agree with Tom and Rob. I've owned a few cars, and in all cases the coolant found a 'natural' level either just above or even just below minimum. Obviously keep an eye out for further loss.

• Like 1