Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Horrible sound on engine start

DeathKwonDo

Hello! New member here looking for your expertise in diagnosing a problem before I take my fiesta back to a garage. 

I have a 63 plate zetec s (1L ecoboost ), and just recently it's been making some not so funny noises when starting the engine from cold. It's a kind of grinding noise followed by warning beeps but no messages.

So I took it to a garage and they couldn't hear the noise, but they recommended a service as it was overdue. The sound is "better" but still there. Here is what it sounds revving on neutral

This morning I put my foot down in 5th at about 45mph and as soon as the turbo kicked in I lost a bit of power and got an engine malfunction warning. The car drives fine but I'm afraid to let the turbo wind up. Booked in to a garage already but I was hoping someone could enlighten me as to what the problem might be so I don't get ripped off!!

Thank you!

Karl B

• 3 years later...

Hi, did you ever find out what the issue was?

35 minutes ago, Toby_ZS said:

Hi, did you ever find out what the issue was?

You are not going to get an answer to a 3 year old post. The guy has not been back to the forum since Novemeber 2018.

Do you have the same problem with your engine ?

Yes the exact same and I didn’t really notice the date the post was put up. My mistake.

Well the first thing I'd say is do not start the engine.

The engine is suffering from lack of oil circulation. When did it last have a full oil and filter change ?

How many miles has the car done ?

Had a full oil and filter change using genuine Ford parts back in April and car is on 87k miles now. 

2 minutes ago, Toby_ZS said:

and car is on 87k miles now.

and theres the problem. You will need it looked at by a Ford main dealer, if your car is sounding like the one in the video I'm afraid that it may well have come to the end of its life. When you start it from cold in the morning does the oil pressure light go out straight away, or does it take a few seconds to go out ?

The light comes on and goes off straight away. Always knew this day would come. Just didn’t want it to happen just yet. 

• Sad 1

In theory the engine should be good for 150,000 or 10 years before you should get any major problems. In real life it seems that quite a number of these engines don't get to the magic numbers.

The wet belts are now recommended to be changed at 100,000 or 10 years, but that requires all owners to have serviced the car at least every 20,000 miles and as often as ever 6000 miles if the car does lots of short journeys.

Couldn’t just be a problem with the oil pump then? I was hoping I could run it to atleast 100k and then I’d be alright to let it go. Be nice if they could last that long.

It kind of is, a problem with the oil pump. The most likely issue is that the wet belts are starting to disintegrate. Parts of the rubber belt then get stuck in the sump oil strainer and block it. This leads to a lack of oil circulation and very quickly all sorts of engine parts start to fail.

Replacing the oil pump is quite involved on the ecoboost engine. You will also need to replace the oil pump wet belt. The sump needs to come off to be able to clear the oil strainer. From information I've see on this you need to remove the front section of the exhaust to be able to get the sump off. There is an awful lot of work involved and at the end of the day the engine may already be damaged due to lack of oil.

3 hours ago, unofix said:

In theory the engine should be good for 150,000 or 10 years before you should get any major problems. In real life it seems that quite a number of these engines don't get to the magic numbers.

The wet belts are now recommended to be changed at 100,000 or 10 years, but that requires all owners to have serviced the car at least every 20,000 miles and as often as ever 6000 miles if the car does lots of short journeys.

oil is cheap,engine issues are not.I have always had my oil changed @ 10,000kms or less,on ALL my vehicles.Oil is the lifeblood of an engine.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club