Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What is going on is this normal??

Laurac

I hit something underneath yesterday and now there’s fluid coming from somewhere which may have been like it before and I only noticed coz I checked to see if I’d don’t any damage 

6151BBA9-B9AC-41C5-9C12-348693C32C81.jpeg

Well the only thing around the back axle is the fuel tank, lines, and if a petrol, the fuel filter probably. There should be no fluid in the back box definitely. What did you hit? and when was the photo taken?

you need to get under there more and look up above that end of the silencer. whilst it is not very likely, if there is a very slight exhaust leak you can get the exhaust blowing condensation out of the leak. I can't tell if that is water or more oily, can you get your finger on it and rub it to see if it is like water or oil or smells of petrol (assuming your car is petrol fuelled). if left without engine running, or when engine is running and very hot , does it dry off.

or is it an oil seepage from engine/gearbox which is blowing back as you drive along?, although if it was, there have have been more on the underside of silencer and not just on the edge seam

actually is the photo looking towards to the front or the back

The picture is taken from the back of the car so looking towards the front. The picture was taken this morning after I’d driven it, it does smell oily and does dry although when dripped on floor doesn’t leave a mark when dried. I hit a speed bump!! One I go over every single day and I wasn’t speeding. I do have it booked into garage tomorrow and I showed someone at work the picture and he thinks I may have put a hole in my exhaust 

4 hours ago, STJAY said:

Well the only thing around the back axle is the fuel tank, lines, and if a petrol, the fuel filter probably. There should be no fluid in the back box definitely. What did you hit? and when was the photo taken?

I hit a speed bump I wasn’t doing high speed as had just turned into the road this photo was taken this morning it’s the exhaust 

This is a picture of it when engine is cool so no spots on ground or anything but as soon as I drive it it’s leaking fluid 

7004902F-ECFE-4EEC-A8E9-F9639200FB30.jpeg

Did you have your aircon on when driving? the aircon drips water out underneath (not sure which side on the Festas) and when dried leaves no residue

sounds quite normal. there is a small hole by design in the exhaust silencer and its probably a build up of moisture and sooty particles being blown out. do you  do short journeys? 

• Like 1

Yes every day is just short journeys only do about 10 miles a day lol weekends are normally a bit more. 

Well it’s in the garage so anxious wait now to see what they say although the guy in there today said it sounds perfectly normal but I’ve asked him to give it a good look over anyway as got a busy few months coming up so lots of driving 😞

It’s back from the garage and thankfully having given it a good check they said it’s normal and there’s no damage 🙂 didn’t even charge me to look at it phew 

Apparently it’s from the exhaust but coming out thru the drain hole which is all perfectly normal 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, robbyvrs said:

So where was the water? coming from?

Every litre of fuel through combustion produces just under a litre of H20 (water) that water is normally steam out exhaust but if the exhaust rear silencer is cold enough , the steam can become condensation and drip out the hole in exhaust.  

• 2 years later...

@Laurac I've also just noticed the same thing on my '67 Fiesta, there is a liquid sometimes there after driving, but it normally dries up after a while and doesn't leave a mark on the drive. I thought I hit something like a bump or the kerb on the way in but it seems unlikely as this part of the exhaust is tucked behind the axle .. and I can't see an obvious damage to either parts.

Good to know it's most likely just the drainage hole and probably worried cos I've never looked underneath to see it before ha .. but going to get the garage to take a look for me just to be on the safe side. Hoping that this is just a normal function of the exhaust system. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club