Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk6 Fiesta ABS

HenryV

The image of the 100nm torque was only the initial torque before fully torqued to 290nm . Torqued both nut types to 290nm no issues. The strange nut you refer to has been used also on the rear hubs ( slightly smaller version) , and on other models too in focus  to torques of 235nm ok. 

• Like 1

Did you try to re-use the stacked nut instead of replacing it?  Those ones really are single use!

Just for reference, I had a loose front wheel on my Mk6 from the day I got it...thought the bearing was knackered...once I'd bought the bearing I popped the centre cap off and went to loosen the hub nut...turned out the nut was only finger tight! Bearing was fine, just someone had left the nut loose after replacing it prior to my ownership.  I torqued it to 290Nm no problem.

Thanks again Ian,

Yes, you're right on the 100 NM

My mistake;

I've just re-checked the Ford instruction and indeed the 100 NM is the 'pre-load' torque.

I still find it impossible to believe that my type of hub nut will withstand 290 NM.

The last one certainly didn't.

However, The one that stripped was included with the 'LPB' bearing.  It wasn't a genuine Ford nut. Could there be a difference?

• Like 1

Thanks Toms,

It was indeed a virgin nut.

I've just this minute started gradually increasing the torque on both hub nuts by 10NM steps.

I'm now at 210NM (the limit of my 1/2" drive torque wrench).

• Like 2

Very interesting;

I've continued increasing the torque by 10 NM on both front hub nuts..

The N/S is a genuine Ford.

The O/S is LBP.

I got to 220NM with both.

I could tell that the Ford nut was performing much better than LPB.

I went for 230NM..

The Ford nut gave the re-assuring click on my 500NM 3/4" drive torque wrench.

The LPB is about to strip.

No way on this Earth will that nut reach 290NM.

I'm now minded to invest in another genuine Ford nut.

All input to this thread is much appreciated.

H..

• Like 1

...and more interesting;

I continued increasing Torque on the Ford nut and guess what?

Yes, I'm at 290NM !!

I went back to the LPB o/s nut  and wound back the torque wrench to 180NM and again..

I got a 'click'

190NM, click.

200NM, errr, click.

210, no click, about to strip.

Time for another Ford nut I reckon.

• Like 1

Just to clear things up;

The nut that stripped and caused this debate was an LPB nut that came with the bearing and an unnecessary circlip.

I stated earlier that the Ford nut stripped.

My apologies for posting that misleading info :sad:

I'm now off to Fleabay to find a Ford nut.

Best regards and thanks again for your advice/input,

H..

• Like 2

The second Ford hub nut (1008849) for the off side wheel arrived today.

I gradually torqued it up to 290NM.

I'm really glad to see the back of this job.

My word I've spent some hours on it.

I've learned a lot along the way though.

Thanks again to all who gave advice/opinions to help me along the way  :thumbsup:

I really do enjoy this website :smile:

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Hi with that abs fault do you remember the fault code that came up as Iv recently got a abs code coming up C1095 that is a pump motor circuit failure and C1234 that is front right wheel sensor input missing its also blowing 30A fuses I also just changed the front right sensor with one from eBay and thought that was the end it so  I traced the wire back from the pump and theres no splits or anything in the wires so I don't know if I should blame the pump

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for late reply F28 but I hadn't seen your post,

Have you got it sorted?

I don't have any record of the fault codes sorry.

I didn't ever get a 'pump motor circuit failure' reading.

IMHO and limited experience, single sensor issues are usually caused by the magnetic strip being corroded/perished on the wheel bearings.

Dual sensor codes are a nightmare.

I don't reckon your issue is really comparable with mine but please let me know how you've gotten on.

H..

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

Hi 

Firstly thanks for taking the time on this post as I’ve found it very informative. Could you tell me what OBD reader you are using as I have the ABS light on on my 2005 ST150 but when I plug in my Creader 9081 it says there are no faults. Cheers

• 1 year later...

Hi guys I have this same exact fault on my 1.6 tdci mk6.5 fiesta so it's basically had a whole new front suspension and drive shafts well second hand shafts, but I keep getting the same abs tooth ring missing and it's had new bearings and ford abs sensors but I think Henry is right about it catching since the back end of my sensor has been rubbing on something, I'm just wondering what else it could be 

16274334620036114200343610999719.jpg

• 5 months later...
On 9/28/2018 at 2:24 AM, HenryV said:

Here's an update;

To cut a long story short, I'd managed to break the cover/lever on the ABS multiplug.

Luckily, I've managed to buy a replacement cover/lever from a breaker on 'fleabay'.

I'll try to give an explanation and show some pics of how this plug works to help others who get stuck with it in the future.

The multiplug is in a very awkward spot and it's hard to determine how it functions. It's also very difficult to photograph but I gave it a go;

The cover has two pinch levers that need to be squeezed to enable it to be pivoted/lifted away from the plug body (see above pics).

The cover, when lifted, pivots the two round pins around radial slots in each side of the plug body.

The plug body has a plastic 'slide plate' at either side with a slot for the lever/cover round pin.

One 'slide plate' is beige in colour and one is blue.

When the cover is down the slide plates are pushed upwards to engage/lock the multiplug body onto the studs on the module side of the connection;

When it is lifted, the plates are pushed downwards to disengage from the studs.

In my case, the plates were jammed/ceased in position.

I'd advise anybody who tries to remove this type of plug to give the plate slots a good squirt with WD40 and to gently coax the plates up and down using the lever/cover and maybe a small screwdriver to tap the plates down enough times to free up the mechanism.

All so easy with hindsight eh? :wink:

Thank you so much for this thread!  I scoured the internet looking for how to get this plug off and yours was the only hit I got for the Mk 6 Fiesta.

You've saved me hours of frustration which certainly would have ended with me breaking my plug.

Cheers from Australia!

Brian

• Like 1

Thanks very much Brian,

I can hardly believe how long ago this thread was!

Really chuffed that my post was useful to you.

It's somewhat late in the UK right now and admittedly I've a 'couple' of Amber nectars 😉

BTW, my beloved Fiesta M6 is currently running as well as she ever has, clocked 121 000+ Miles and I won't part with her come Hell or high water!

Best regards,

H

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club