Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Air vent direction dial mis-rotating

matt786

Got a 2008 Zetec Fiesta 1.6 TDCI mk.6.5 but the heater knob for the vent adjuster is just turning without changing the vent position, I've had the radio out to examine the issue and the actual cog on the heater that the adjuster cable affects is turning but it's not engaging the other cog on the heater box that actually moves the vent flaps. If you fiddle with it, it does then start to engage with the main cog again but this soon stops engaging again soon after.  Initially thought it was the switch end that was faulty so this was replaced with another control panel along with the control cable but the miss rotation is still there. I have disconnected the control rod from the switch end and when i turn the control rod by hand, i can feel the cog that controls the flaps not engaging. Seems the cogs have lost a tooth or two. Just to be clear, this is not the fan speed switch or temperature selection switch that is being referred to here. Winter is on the way and i need this sorting for my daughter who drives the car. Can anyone help me on this please.

Maybe get a replacement unit from a scrap yard, will be much cheaper than buying a new unit.

If the cogs/ gears have teeth missing then I don't see many other options than replacing the unit.

I can't actually see the missing cog teeth but just saying that's what it feels like when turn the air vent selection rod by hand. I have now seen a photo of the heater box and its a white plastic lever with a securing screw on the back of heater box which is connected to the cogs to control flaps. Just need to know if anyone has replaced this without taking heater box out. 

I can't actually see the missing cog teeth but just saying that's what it feels like when turn the air vent selection rod by hand. I have now seen a photo of the heater box and its a white plastic lever with a securing screw on the back of heater box which is connected to the cogs to control flaps. Just need to know if anyone has replaced this without taking heater box out. Here is a link so please check it out. 

• 2 years later...

Did you fix the problem? 

• 3 weeks later...

Good evening matt786 I have the same problem on my 2008 Fiesta 1.4 Tdci GHIA. Funny its my daughters as well a common link i think.....

I've been searching for a procedure to change the unit as i think mine /hers is beyond repair. Looks like a Dockyard job to me....

Did you sort yours out?

Regards

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club