Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Exhaust Heat Shield Rattle

paul97

Hi

My 2009 1.6 Titanium exhaust heat shield has come loose towards the rear of the car and all the (for want of a better description) connection fixings have broken so I'm unable to reattach.

I have tried to fix the problem using cable ties but it has come loose again, has anyone got a better solution for a more permanent fix.

Thanks

Paul

Polyurethane sealant such as sikaflex, tigerseal etc. Works a treat. 

Just done one yesterday for someone. You might need to prop it up for a couple of hours to ensure it stays in place but once it’s set it ain’t going anywhere 

How did you actually fix this? i.e as the existing connections are already broken and free from the car body where would i find a place to attach too....if you get my drift.

Thanks

A blob where the fixings were and stick them to th under body of the car. I’ve done this on dozens of cars, works well when the prescribed mounting point has disappeared or rotted out

Rivet gun and do it yourself. They aren’t essential anyway, I know of a lot of garages that just remove damaged ones and advise not to bother replacing

• Like 1

Thanks Jonro2009, nice to know that I can just remove the shield if necessary.

4 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

Rivet gun and do it yourself. They aren’t essential anyway, I know of a lot of garages that just remove damaged ones and advise not to bother replacing

you cant do that any more. heat shields are now part of mot. seems a bit silly esp at the rear as the exhaust isnt very hot there. 

• Like 1

Didn't realise this was part of the MOT, will try using Polyurethane sealant  as mentioned by stef123.

Fire risk due to fuel tank shield or exhaust shield missing where fitted as original equipment

You live and learn, thanks @iantt. I didn’t realise it was part of the MOT, is that since the revisions were made recently?

2 hours ago, iantt said:

Fire risk due to fuel tank shield or exhaust shield missing where fitted as original equipment

Am I right in saying its only the fuel tank shield or exhaust heat shield covering the fuel tank? The rest of the system would be ok without? That's how i interpret the wording anyway. 

Just thinking the centre heat shield is missing on my Mondeo, Its been missing for about 7 years so i don't see how it would be a risk of fire :lol:  

23 minutes ago, stef123 said:

Am I right in saying its only the fuel tank shield or exhaust heat shield covering the fuel tank? The rest of the system would be ok without? That's how i interpret the wording anyway. 

Just thinking the centre heat shield is missing on my Mondeo, Its been missing for about 7 years so i don't see how it would be a risk of fire :lol:  

I'm told it's the whole exhaust, but im with you on your view. It is under the fuel section . Will be able to clarify when the mot club rep turns up to check us and have our online assesment next month. I rarely do Mots now. I can't be arsed to ring the dvsa to find out. Lol 

• Haha 1

:lol: Would be interested to know.

I did notice they had made a few corrections, such as tyres not fitted in accordance with manufacturers instructions. 

Yeah, afew alterations at beginning of September. Or should I say they forgot a few items that had to put back in after feedback from testers. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, stef123 said:

:lol: Would be interested to know.

I did notice they had made a few corrections, such as tyres not fitted in accordance with manufacturers instructions. 

As in not held on with cable ties and prayers? 🤣

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Jonro2009 said:

As in not held on with cable ties and prayers? 🤣

HAHA! Is that not correct? have I been doing it wrong all these years? 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, stef123 said:

HAHA! Is that not correct? have I been doing it wrong all these years? 

Only if someone notices. 

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club