Do Not Sell My Personal Information

where is my wastegate?

Dandare7

So I believe I have a turbo problem. I have a 06 TDCI 2.0. All the pictures I have seen have a waste gate visible I have an electronic actuator but cannot find any pipes that link to my turbo, Haynes manual pictures do not tally up to my car either.

Read some articles about a waste gate solenoid and again the pictures I have seen  I have nothing like that in my engine bay? 

Reason for searching is I have a newish turbo to fit and while I am going to do this big job I want to refit new pipes etc and refurbish bits that attach to my turbo but nothing tallies up from YouTube or even what is in the Haynes manual.... 

any help with photos and arrows to my waste  gate or solenoid would be great thanks

my dirty engine bay 

20180922_211844.jpg

1 hour ago, Dandare7 said:

I have an electronic actuator but cannot find any pipes that link to my turbo,

Turbos either have an electronic actuator (eg Focus 1.8TDCI & most Mondeos), or a vacuum actuator (eg Focus 1.6TDCI & Focus 2.0TDCI). The vacuum actuator has a pipe to a solenoid valve, sometimes low down at the back of the engine. Electronic actuators have no pipe. They combine an electric motor & position sensor in one unit.

The picture below seems to show both options. The Hella electronic actuator on the Mondeo seems to be much the same as the one on the 1.8TDCI Focus.

There are quite a few posts in various sites about electrical problems in the Mondeo Hella actuator, that can be fixed with a soldering iron. Though this may well not be relevant to you.

It makes no practical difference (in terms of replacement), but those turbo drawings look to me like variable vane turbos, rather than wastegate ones.

2TDCI-Turbo.gif

There isn't a wastegate, it's a VNT turbo.  The vanes are controlled by the electronic actuator on the top.  

• Like 2

Cheers. That would explain the lack of pipes. Seemed to be lack description of my turbo. Even typing the part number brings up turbos with a visible wastegate. 

On 9/24/2018 at 8:59 AM, TomsFocus said:

There isn't a wastegate, it's a VNT turbo.  The vanes are controlled by the electronic actuator on the top.  

Were would the pipe be that controls that sensor?i think i have found it but i follow it and it t pieces to my servo?

4 hours ago, Dandare7 said:

Were would the pipe be that controls that sensor?i think i have found it but i follow it and it t pieces to my servo?

There isn't a pipe for it.  The one to the servo is a vacuum line for the power brakes.

The ECU controls the turbo vanes electronically, it uses the MAP/boost sensor to determine how much boost the turbo is producing, and uses the actuator to adjust the VNT vanes which in turn adjust the amount of boost. 

What is the actual issue you're having currently?

Basically had a few weird issues with turbo high pitch shrikeing and bought a new turbo. Was going to replace all my pipe work to have a a hole refurb to the turbo unit. Seems to be with mine just bolt the new unit on and thats it 

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club