Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine temperature issue?

Slumdog

My 1.0 ecoboost is not heating properly. In the last couple of weeks, I'm noticing that the display temperature is not reaching the 4th square, even with a reasonable outside temperature (as shown in picture). Only when in idle or I run in high revs, it reaches the 4th square, but after a while running in normal speed it goes down again to the 3rd square.

Usually I do 15km runs, engine behavior has not changed.

Is this something that I should worry about? User's manual says the normal temperature is in the middle, could be a temperature sensor not calibrated?

Thanks.

20180924_183952_edit.jpg

i would drive the car normaly and at the end of your journey, switch ign off, press and hold the trip reset button under the rev counter and switch ign on. this will put cluster into test mode. then press tge trip button reapeatedly until the engine coolant temp shows( will only show a value and "c" ) this temp reading is more acurate than the little bars on the screen. after a good run it should be at least 90c 

It should get to 4 bars. Mine has 4 bars even in -15 degrees Celsius temp.

On 10/1/2018 at 10:10 PM, BenCMB said:

https://www.whatcar.com/news/ford-ecoboost-engine-recall-–-what-you-need-to-know/n17972

Probably something completely unrelated but eh, who knows

That recall is only on some 2011-2013 1.0 Ecoboosts.

Worth checking on Etis just in case there is a recall for your car though: http://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do 

On 9/27/2018 at 11:01 AM, Slumdog said:

Is this something that I should worry about? User's manual says the normal temperature is in the middle, could be a temperature sensor not calibrated?

Personally I wouldn't worry as long as it's between the little brackets in the middle (so 3-6 squares) - but if nothing has changed in your driving/engine behaviour I would get it checked out at a reputable garage, just for peace of mind, and because 3 squares is unsymmetrical and would drive me crazy 😂 

You have two suspects here the temp sensor and the thermostat , but i would say it's probably  the thermostat  has failed and it is constantly open which lets the cooling water to circulate in the radiator and  gets cold ,normally it should be closed until the temp reach a certain  degree then it opens next when the engine heats up more the fan kicks in to help. 

• Like 1

I agree with Chebhou that it is most likely the the thermostat is stuck in the open position (much safer than being stuck closed).  You may have also noticed that the engine takes a long time to get to 3 bars.  Changing the thermostat is not difficult and I recommend you get it done soon as your fuel consumption will take a hit in the winter if the engine is being over-cooled.

• 3 years later...
On 9/27/2018 at 11:01 AM, Slumdog said:

My 1.0 ecoboost is not heating properly. In the last couple of weeks, I'm noticing that the display temperature is not reaching the 4th square, even with a reasonable outside temperature (as shown in picture). Only when in idle or I run in high revs, it reaches the 4th square, but after a while running in normal speed it goes down again to the 3rd square.

Usually I do 15km runs, engine behavior has not changed.

Thanks.

20180924_183952_edit.jpg

Hi sounding dud you get this sorted and what was the fix 

I’m experiencing the same sort of issues 

thanks

My 2018 fiesta mk8 1.0 100hp also started having this issue last week. Is it just the thermostat that needs replacing? 

Mine just reaches half gauge in heavy traffic but when I'm in open road, the temperature drops a lot. Also after driving, I don't feel the front bodywork as hot as is used to. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, DvxPT said:

My 2018 fiesta mk8 1.0 100hp also started having this issue last week. Is it just the thermostat that needs replacing? 

Mine just reaches half gauge in heavy traffic but when I'm in open road, the temperature drops a lot. Also after driving, I don't feel the front bodywork as hot as is used to. 

Yup mine ended up the same thermostat replaced 

• Thanks 1

Hi I had a similar issue. I had both thermostats replaced. Now warms up very quickly and stays there. As stated above check the actual temp using the digital reading in the secret menu.

1 hour ago, Cragrat said:

Hi I had a similar issue. I had both thermostats replaced. Now warms up very quickly and stays there. As stated above check the actual temp using the digital reading in the secret menu.

I'm going to the dealership today to try and solve a break problem, and I'll talk about this new issue. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club