Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Fiesta Mk6 weird noise

Haider55

Hi guys so it's been some time my car has been making some weird noise and now it is really starting to annoy me. My dad did open the back hub and cleaned it out which made it stop for a few hours. Any idea what it could be. I've attached the video on YT sorry can't upload it here. When I am braking the noise stops. 

https://youtu.be/zRy1-z5KlTw

Thanks 

Does it happen on one side of the car? I'm not certain but could that be the drum shoes touching the drum covers? 

Just now, zain611 said:

Does it happen on one side of the car? I'm not certain but could that be the drum shoes touching the drum covers? 

yes it only happens on the driver rear side my dad had a look at that he said it was fine. 

Did you jack the car up and span that wheel? May help diagnose whether it's the brakes or suspension. 

1 minute ago, zain611 said:

Did you jack the car up and span that wheel? May help diagnose whether it's the brakes or suspension. 

Yes we've tried that too but can't really work it out, if it was suspension wouldn't the noise be on both sides? We thought it was the shoes at first but had a look at them and they seem fine. 

Does the noise go away when you brake? If it does then the noise could be linked to the brakes

4 minutes ago, zain611 said:

Does the noise go away when you brake? If it does then the noise could be linked to the brakes

Yes when I am braking the noise stops and you can only really hear it under 10mph. 

It might be to do with the brakes. How's the handbrake? Do you have to lift it high for the car to not move? 

18 minutes ago, zain611 said:

It might be to do with the brakes. How's the handbrake? Do you have to lift it high for the car to not move? 

Nope the handbrake is fine so what part exactly of the brakes could it be? 

I'm not too sure but as you said the noise goes after you brake. I'd think its to do with the braking. Hopefully someone here can help 👍

When you put the handbrake up how many clicks would it need to hold the car? If its adjusted right it should be around 2 or 3 clicks. 

Well that's not an angle I'd experienced before! :laugh: 

The noise could be the wheel bearing on the way out.  But it does sound like the shoes catching the drum, it's likely that the drum has warped but you wont be able to see that by eye.

2 hours ago, zain611 said:

I'm not too sure but as you said the noise goes after you brake. I'd think its to do with the braking. Hopefully someone here can help 👍

When you put the handbrake up how many clicks would it need to hold the car? If its adjusted right it should be around 2 or 3 clicks. 

Yes I think it's around that maybe 4 or 5 clicks. 

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

Well that's not an angle I'd experienced before! :laugh: 

The noise could be the wheel bearing on the way out.  But it does sound like the shoes catching the drum, it's likely that the drum has warped but you wont be able to see that by eye.

Haha it just came to my mind and stuck the phone outside the window upside down 😂😂 Ahhhh ok and what would be the fix for that? Yeah I thought it could be the bearing too. 

Hi guys I took it to the garage and they're saying if It was a bearing it would have been a humming noise. They're saying its the front pads and discs and having a look at them they do look really bad, could this be the cause? 

It is possible the discs have got a partial raised lip around the edge due to the pads not making full contact while braking so it catches and rubs slightly on certain area's of the discs which can sound like an off and on scraping sound as I have had the issue before which I cured with grinding the edge of the discs and some filing of the the calipers where the pads slide and the end of the pads that sit on the calipers .

31 minutes ago, E TEA 66 said:

It is possible the discs have got a partial raised lip around the edge due to the pads not making full contact while braking so it catches and rubs slightly on certain area's of the discs which can sound like an off and on scraping sound as I have had the issue before which I cured with grinding the edge of the discs and some filing of the the calipers where the pads slide and the end of the pads that sit on the calipers .

Yes the pads and discs look like they haven't been changed in a very long time either, but wouldnt the noise come from both sides then not just the driver side? 

The disc could be warped or lipped, or the caliper could be binding slightly. 

In an ideal world they'd wear evenly on both sides but they rarely do, especially as the car gets older.

Jack up the NSF and soon the wheel out of gear, you should be able to locate where the disc is being caught.  Chances are you'll need to replace the pads and discs anyway if they're as bad as you say lol.

Yes the garage had it lifted up fully and they said they're certain it's the pads and discs. Yeah they need to be changed asap. And that noise is soooooo annoying espcially if you drive without the radio. 

19 hours ago, Haider55 said:

Yes the pads and discs look like they haven't been changed in a very long time either, but wouldnt the noise come from both sides then not just the driver side? 

Tom summed it up nicely as he quite rightly said they very rarely wear equally as all it takes is a sticking caliper or pad which will affect the wear of the pads and disc's hence why I like to take a wire brush and sand paper to the calipers and give them a good clean every 6 to 8 months to keep the brakes working freely .

Sorry about the slow reply guys and yes getting them changed on Friday hopefully. Will keep you guys updated thanks for your help! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys so I finally got the chance today to change the pads and discs. One of the pads had a clean crack in the middle which I think caused the squeaking, finally the noise has now gone. 😊😊 I'll get another clip tomorrow of it driving nice and quiet haha

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club