Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Ecoboost 1.0 Not starting

Luisamaral

Hi all

Wonder if any of you can help me!!

I have a focus Ecoboost 1.0 (2014) with light damage on front left. When turning the ignition, engine turns for 1 second and stops. Dashboards have lights on and all seems to work ok but the engine does not turn over. It stops almost immediately. 

Any ideas of what else I can do?

I am getting 3 DTC's
C401_64
1607_82
C100_00

Thanks for any suggestions.

Hi mate not sure if this is the case but I had this issue twice now, after using forscan. Warned me battery too low on 11.4v went to start the car and turn once and stopped. All inside works, lights cluster works etc.. To fix I had to have car jump started first time. Second time I tried an easier route thinking it could be software glitch, I simply disconnected my positive on battery for 1minute then reconnected m. Started car and engine started first go. Not sure if my batteries going faulty or software issue, as I had it tested after this -and was classed as normal good battery. No fault. Hopefully this helps mate 

ok thanks for the advice. I did charge the battery and seems fine. I will jump start it just in case to see if anything changes it.

It does seem that fuel cut off is on but I cannot find any switch anywhere. Doing some research it seems these models have a fuel switch off electronic triggered by the ECU.

Does anybody knows if this is the case?

Thanks 

Yes it does look like the fuel pump is off but for these models there is no switch. The cut off is controlled by the ECU and I cannot get it reversed. Not sure if I am doing something wrong. 

Does this need to be activated using diagnostics?

You need to get the dtcs read with a decent code reader. Did the airbags go off in crash? 

• Like 2

"engine turns over and stops...." do you mean

it cranks OK but only runs for a split second then stalls (as if out of fuel) and further cranking doesn't start the car

it starts to crank then stops dead and won't turn over anymore

last night on TV they did a bit on ecoboost issues and engine fires

1 ltr engine has a design fault on the early ones (free fix !!!) where the cylinder head cracks, and out of sight a waterway in the exhaust port allows coolant to leak, keep driving the car overheats.... I can imagine this could easily cause hydraulic lock and the need for a new engine

on 1.6 a recall was to add a overheating warning to dash display..... now changed the plan and I believe aim to resolve the fault as well... somehow this causes an engine fire and 6 mins later you don't have a car anymore 

Thanks Iantt, no airbags deployed as it was a minor crash. I did the hidden menu test and got the following 3 DTCs:

C401_64
1607_82
C100_00

Also checked the video from TomsFocus several times but still no change in behaviour. 

Botus -- Key in position 2 -- I can hear a noise from the engine like trying to get fuel but reacting like if there was none. This noise could last for several minutes if I dont move the key. Once I turn the key to start the engine, it cranks for a split second and stops (like if there was a power cut). Also every time I turn the key, I can hear the relay in the boot clicking.

What else should I check to see if this is coming from fuel cut off or maybe something else causing the engine from starting?

Thanks for the link. I will do more research about it. 🙂 

various clicks and whirrs all round the are quite normal these days

I think where the others are coming from is no fuel pressure... (hence has the fuel cutoff safety switch be activated in an accident)  but it doesn't ONLY have to be this, a fuse, relay, wiring or pump fault (or even no fuel in the tank) can cause the same problem.

you can get either some residual fuel pressure in the rail push fuel for a split second (and I guess even gravity fed to some extent) so it "catches for a split second" then the car notices no more fuel to run, so it cuts out....   you can keep cranking but if there's nothing to burn it won't start

the other reason I included the BBC link is they have a design fault and water won't help it run...

• 3 months later...

Hi there,

Thanks for all your suggestions. Just an update if it can benefit anyone. At the end I took the car to a garage with all Ford software available and they did a software update which has resolved the issue. The engine now runs as it should be with not problems. Not much more detail other than the software update cleared all error codes and the engine starts normal.

Regards 

• Confused 2

• 1 year later...

My car has just done this as well it’s leaking water and won’t start at all it’s a 2013 1.1 Ford Fiesta eco how much was the fix or was it major as only had the car not even a year? 

• 1 year later...

Hi there just wondering if anyone can give me some advice on what’s going on with my car I was on the way up the motorway today and my car juddered and cut out so I rolled onto the hard shoulder at great difficulties but no won’t start back up it’s turning over but won’t start it’s started a few times but ticks over for 5 seconds then dies again any advice on what it could be please?

25 minutes ago, Joeblakeyy said:

Hi there just wondering if anyone can give me some advice on what’s going on with my car I was on the way up the motorway today and my car juddered and cut out so I rolled onto the hard shoulder at great difficulties but no won’t start back up it’s turning over but won’t start it’s started a few times but ticks over for 5 seconds then dies again any advice on what it could be please?

You should really start a new thread for this.

First check would be oil & coolant levels.  If they're fine then you'll need to plug it in to diags, Forscan ideally.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club