Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2009 Zetec S 1.6TDCi opinions

BR36

Hi all, sons ‘ 58 1.25 Zetec is now beyond economical MOT repair and he’s looking for a 2009> Zetec S 1.6TDCi. Any views on price he should be looking to pay (private or trade) and anything in particular to look out for? Any owner experiences to share?

can't comment on value.

I had a 2007 1.6tdci which I thought was a brilliant engine. Owned from 1k miles to 146k miles. Only problem I had was injector seals leaking (making a chuffing sound) which I fixed by doing the injector retaining bolts up a little tighter.

Mine was twincam 16 valve 90bhp.  Later ones are single cam 8 valve but I am not sure what year they changed over.

With this engine a lot of people had turbo failure due to oil starvation to turbo due to blocking of the oil feed with carbon/gunge. I am not sure if this was just down to people not changing oil when they should or not. I have seen it mentioned that it was made worse by dpf being close to the oil feed pipe which caused heat problems, again not sure how significant that is. Mine did not have a dpf, not sure when ford put the dpf of the fiesta. I think it was earlier on the Focus 1.6tdci and I think it was mainly Focus where people reported the turbo problem.   It might be that ford had sorted all those problems out by 2009, not sure, but it is likely soemone else will tell you about the famous turbo failures on the 1.6tdci.

Mine had no turbo problems. The car is now owned by my brother and has 163k on it and still not turbo problems but it has recently developed EGR valve problems.

The torque on these engines is very good and will seem amazing after the 1.25 petrol.

Also from a maintenance point of view it is much easier to do the timing belt on the 1.6tdci than the petrol cars.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply, going to look at one later today so will have eyes and ears peeled. 

Prices largely depend on which mark Fiesta you want. The mk6 is 2002-2008 and mk7 2008-2017. Also milage is a big factor with cars this age. There were many different alloys available from factory so the more sporty ones will push the price up. 

These are only rough figures as the prices can also vary depending on the cars condition.

Mk7 with 100k miles I'd say around £3,000

Mk6 with same miles would be nearly half that price.

However find a mk7 with less than 70k on the clock and I would expect to pay £4,250.

Thanks again for your reply.

Been to see a private sale ‘59 plate with 80k miles in black with the body kit and snowflake alloys. Fully stamped service booklet and 12mth MOT. Couple of minor dings  in the bodywork but nothing too bad but various scratches here and there that always show worse on black paint. All wheels with significant kerb rash but will refurb ok. Wants £3595

I have a mk6.5 fiesta zetec s 1.6 TDCi and have to say it's okay. Check it drives okay, check for chuffing noise like @isetta said as that may be the copper seals. Check it's been annually serviced as that can show oil has been changed. Can't remember if the mk7 1.6 TDCI has a DPF but if it does I won't recommend it if your son does little mileage. 

From the turbo is a oil feed pipe which has a filter which catches debris. If you don't keep up with your oil changes then you'll start to get dirt building up on that filter which can restrict the oil getting to the turbo then leading to turbo failure._20180109_180014.thumb.JPG.0e6ca4a4b950687c48f35b5d8cfe3ef1.JPGDSC_0130.thumb.JPG.b9a38cdbd71c9d2c53a3c141c1819db4.JPGDSC_0129.thumb.JPG.452820ae6ac750e10b9509e67cbd83b1.JPG

With the copper seals you can take off the top engine cover and look underneath the cover for any signs of fresh / wet patches of diesel. This would be a sign of one of the seals going. I don't think mine were gone but there was a lot of black crud coming up from where each injector sits. IMG-20180106-WA0005.thumb.jpg.8a06ed8a4a9f12e56ccb3f1432bb2465.jpg

Check it has service history, drives nicely and has power. Check the body for any accident repair damage. From my experience don't get a car if the seller says he doesn't has paperwork / receipts on him and says he will post it to you. The seller of my car said its had a new clutch, water pump, injector seals, timing belt and a mountune remap. He said he'll send the receipts to me and have got nothing since so have a feeling he was lieing. He has the cheek to reply to my emails and say he's busy. 

When I bought my car the issues I've had with it were a leaking injector and a split brake fluid pipe. The leaking injector I'd only notice on a cold start as it would start and idle rough along with a puff of white smoke. Its about £70 for a refurbished injector although I heard its better and cheaper to get a second hand one. Sadly you can't really trust a seller to leave the car standing cold to see how it starts cold as some drive the car to warm it up a little before the buyer comes. 

Overall though I find my mk6.5 fiesta zetec s 1.6 TDCi a nice little fun car. The stiff suspension makes it fun going fast around corners plus the engine is nice being able to pull you even in the higher gears with the bonus of cheap running costs. 

You can check my build topic to see what I did for the leaking injector. I just got all injectors reconditioned as the car was on 115k miles. 

Nice summary of your experience, thank you. I’ve had a read around and as isetta said about, I get the impression the main turbo problems afflicted the Focus and pre Mk7 Fiesta. The one we viewed yesterday had none of the noises you’ve both advised me to look out for and service history is completely stamped so regular oil/filters shouldn’t be an issue so far. Suppose my question is, is it worth £3595 (it’s been reduced from £3750 on their advert in the last week so not sure what offer they’d take against the lowered price). 

• Like 1

I'd say that price isn't bad. The mk7s I've seen start off around £3000 but thats high mileage or cat D so the price of the one you viewed sounds good. 

Is that private or dealer?  They're still going for around £4k around here.  You can get 1.6TDCi MK2.5 Focus' with the same age and mileage for less lol.  I never understand how small cars hold so much value!

It’s a private sale but needs a couple of bits sorting (dings, kerb rash, minor scratches) but for a ‘59 I guess you’d expect a bit of work to do. 

22 minutes ago, BR36 said:

It’s a private sale but needs a couple of bits sorting (dings, kerb rash, minor scratches) but for a ‘59 I guess you’d expect a bit of work to do. 

I'd say that's a reasonable price tbf then, they may even drop the £95 if they haven't had any other interest.

On 9/29/2018 at 3:37 PM, TomsFocus said:

I'd say that's a reasonable price tbf then, they may even drop the £95 if they haven't had any other interest.

You were spot on, made him a cheeky offer but he’d only go to £3500 which looks a good deal if you look at the ‘My car check’ valuations. Picking it up tomorrow😉

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BR36 said:

You were spot on, made him a cheeky offer but he’d only go to £3500 which looks a good deal if you look at the ‘My car check’ valuations. Picking it up tomorrow😉

Share some photos of the car. You must of got a good deal there 👍

On 10/3/2018 at 11:20 AM, zain611 said:

Share some photos of the car. You must of got a good deal there 👍

30D73A9A-5CED-4191-BAB7-CF77431B1AC2.jpeg

A732ED6B-A895-4C82-955F-1776F0CFD824.jpeg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, BR36 said:

30D73A9A-5CED-4191-BAB7-CF77431B1AC2.jpeg

A732ED6B-A895-4C82-955F-1776F0CFD824.jpeg

You definitely picked up a good one. Your lucky also to get it with factory rear tints. That's something I know is hard to find when I was searching for a mk6 fiesta zetec s. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club