Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clutch Pedal Problems

fossy

i currently own a '53 plate fusion. over the last week the clutch master cylinder actuating rod has been slipping off the small rod that is attached to the clutch pedal.

is there something that keeps this rod on ie a top hat or plate

does the pedal spring need replacing

is the clutch on the way out

and ideas or solutions would be much appreciated

:rolleyes:

im sure there is a mod for this , will look into it and be in touch

there is a modified clip .50p plus 50p postage

50p last of the big spenders how refreshing to see a clip at 50p my old passat when you went for a clip or bolt was 5 quid a time laugh.gif there you go cheap as chips

50p last of the big spenders how refreshing to see a clip at 50p my old passat when you went for a clip or bolt was 5 quid a time laugh.gif there you go cheap as chips

problem is now solved. went to local ford dealer and got clip a massive 35p, yes a whole 35p!!!!!!!!!!

problem is now solved. went to local ford dealer and got clip a massive 35p, yes a whole 35p!!!!!!!!!!

thats a first 35p i think i would have died of a heart attack there and themn seriously expensive part that aleways summat stupid that goes if it had been a vw clip it would have been 20 quid

• 10 months later...

How happy am I to find this thread...just called the AA out as the gf is stranded at work with a broken 53 plate Fusion, symptoms were as she was leaving work, she pushed the clutch down to stop at a barrier, there was some initial resistance in the clutch then suddenly it went straight to the floor, so she stopped on the brakes and stalled it. Clutch returns fine but no resistance either way. I texted her about the clutch rod, she presumably showed the AA man and that's it, so he's doing a temporary fix now. He says there is a small leak at the master cylinder and suggested it could be slightly overfilled causing it to pop off? Anyways, for a few minutes I had visions of trying to replace the master cylinder in the street, in the rain, and out of pocket. Just a 50p clip, how lucky am I?! Can I get it free under warranty/recall ;) Actually, a little more seriously, will they fit it for free?!

• 4 years later...

I have a fusion + 57 plate, I had put it in gear and went to release the clutch and it made a clonking sound, I then managed to put it in gear again but as I went to release the clutch peddle it made a double clonking sound and there was no clutch peddle, it just went straight down to the floor, can anyone help!!

It may mean that the pedal return spring has come off.

If you look up under the dash to the pedal mounting point you may see the problem.

The AA roadside fix for this is a plastic tie after the pin is reinserted. The guy told me horror stories of garages charging for new master cylinders up to replacement clutches. Someone developed an over engineered fix for this which was on e bay, probably stronger than the clutch.

• 10 months later...

Ford Fusion Zetec 1.6 TDCi, '07 plate

Got into the car the other day, and felt resistance on the clutch pedal, which gave way at the top of the travel, then the pedal went straight to the floor without resistance. Of course, I repeated this several times before I was convinced I had a problem. Visions of broken clutch plate, shattered release bearing, and enormous cost passed before my eyes, but I managed not to panic. This was perfectly OK the last time I drove the car - what's happened now?

Thankfully I have access to an honest and experienced mechanic, who did not recognise the problem, but checked that there was no obvious sign of damage externally - no clutch fluid leaks, nothing on the floor, nothing appeared to have come loose, until he scrambled into the driver's side footwell on his back with a torch, and found that the rod on the pedal that goes through the 'eye' in the clutch master cyclinder actuator rod had parted, so the pedal was no longer pushing the actuator rod, and the clutch did not work. Being honest, the guy didn't charge me for his time and back injury, just agreed that it was fortunate that it was such a trivial fault. Such contacts are invaluable, in time of need.

There was no harm to the clutch itself, or anything else come to that, all it needed was the actuator rod mating up with the pedal rod, but it kept slipping off again. So why had it come off?  Wear and tear, I suppose, and maybe the pedal link was bent.

A visit to my local Ford dealer revealed that they had received a 'bulletin' about this sometime previously, and what was needed was a spring washer clip (F6843385, "B306 CLIP"), 57p + VAT. Only since receiving the bulletin had they made this part made available on its own.

Of course, they had run out of the clips, so an order was submitted. Two days later, I picked up the clip part, and tomorrow I plan to climb into the footwell on my back, bruising various vertebrae on the door-sill, and try to push the clip onto the pedal rod, over the replaced cylinder actuator rod. I may find out then whether the pedal rod has bent - if so, my trusty lock-wrench will be brought in to the rescue, and (hopefully) all will be well. We shall see!

The news that this was the subject of an official Ford 'bulletin' suggests to me that Ford had quietly become aware of the design fault, and chose not tell any customers (does it ever?), just let them find out the hard way, and cater for recovery by making this tiny spare part available on its own, if you know what to ask for.

• Like 1

On 08/11/2015 at 10:50 AM, fusionfan2 said:

That's the one i got. perfect solution

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club