Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ka engine swap

Quasimodo

Hi guys,  please don't slate me for this question. .  How practical is it to fit a zetec 1.3 into a streetka as a replacement to a 1.6 ?  I'm asking for the money and running costs factor. More economy, cheaper road tax etc. How would insurance be effected? Would that bring the streetka insurance down or will it be classified as modified, even if going down in cc's? If I change the engine capacity on log book does that trigger bells on the insurance data base? I'm asking this hoping just to save a few £££s, vehicle performance is not an issue here. Many thanks in advance for help and advice.

It'd cost you more to swap out the engine, insurance will be this biggest hit regardless of CC's unless you pay someone to do it for you, if you're gonna go down this route put a 1.0 ecoboost, with how light the KA already is fuel economy should be great plus fast enough to travel at what will feel like warp speed, just get another car will be cheaper than just swapping out a engine   

Thankyou for the reply. The engine would be from a donor car which I already have. Like I said performance is not the issue so the ecoboost is not necessary and would actually be more expensive insurance wise than a 1.3 zetec. It's just annoying that when drivers are willing to 'down grade' to save money, cut emissions etc- they get hammered by having their vehicle classed as a modified EVEN though it's being made slower with less power and less emissions. It's Sooo wrong 😞

Tbf, the 1.0 EcoBoost produces more power with less CO2 and better fuel economy than the archaic 1.3...  

I've done a few engine changes though, it's always a pain to insure them even with a 'worse' engine.  You would have to phone and check with your insurer ideally.

Tax also doesn't get reduced even after you've changed the V5, which is again more hassle.

You'll need to have a 'competent' mechanic check the car after the swap to confirm in writing that it's been done correctly and safely for some insurers.

All that hassle to save about 5mpg  really isn't worth it, just buy a car with lower running costs as standard. :smile:

• Like 1

Hi.

If you needed any help with insurance for this type of conversion then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. I am curious to know how you've got on with the engine change?

Fast & Furious 6 : "With cars you have to customise - it's all between you and car you build, it's a bond, it's a commitment ... but when you trade up, they don't take half your **** "

I like the look and size of the StreetKA. I would like to change to a similar power pre-turbo engine with less carbon emissions - the StreetKA' worst trait is incredibly high carbon emissions for its size. Therefore I am probably looking at a 2008/2009 Fiesta/Focus, but I don't want to cut into the structural frame.