Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Strange noise!

Carpysmith

Hi all!

I have a 2009 Focus 1.8tdci Titanium estate that has developed an "odd" noise.

It is difficult to describe as I cant decide if it is a "hissing" noise (like a turbo pipe or something split) or more of a fast rattling noise, like a heatshield or something rattling/vibrating. It seems to be coming from the drivers side front area but is difficult to pin down exactly, It only does when you are going through the gears when driving it fairly briskly (but not thrashing it), still does it but not as bad when driving very gently, and does not make the noise when just revving engine when not driving (so making it very difficult  to pin it down) it started making the noise whilst driving back to Norfolk from hols in Devon whilst driving down the A43 at about 68mph in cruise control so not caning it or anything!! Car still seems to pull ok and doesn,t seem to be using any more or less fuel.

Thoughts anybody!

Regards.

Steve.

22 hours ago, Carpysmith said:

Hi all!

I have a 2009 Focus 1.8tdci Titanium estate that has developed an "odd" noise.

It is difficult to describe as I cant decide if it is a "hissing" noise (like a turbo pipe or something split) or more of a fast rattling noise, like a heatshield or something rattling/vibrating. It seems to be coming from the drivers side front area but is difficult to pin down exactly, It only does when you are going through the gears when driving it fairly briskly (but not thrashing it), still does it but not as bad when driving very gently, and does not make the noise when just revving engine when not driving (so making it very difficult  to pin it down) it started making the noise whilst driving back to Norfolk from hols in Devon whilst driving down the A43 at about 68mph in cruise control so not caning it or anything!! Car still seems to pull ok and doesn,t seem to be using any more or less fuel.

Thoughts anybody!

Regards.

Steve.

Hi Steve,

I seem to remember when I had my first split on my Intercooler - Inlet manifold hose on my 1.6tdci, I couldn't hear it at idle for some reason, only in 2nd 3rd & 4th gears with.  I personally would suspect it's got to be an air leak (or at least thoroughly rule that out first) but they can be very difficult to pin down.  My second air leak, I only managed to find because I revved with the door & bonnet open and could actually see the concertina piece just before the manifold bulging!  Hadn't noticed the tiny split by looking alone.  If it's a smallish hole (and they don't need to be big to hear the hissing), I wouldn't of thought you'd get much noticeable effect on performance or economy.  As mine got worse and bigger the fuel economy and performance took a hit! 

Hi David.

Thanks for the response! Reckon I will have a better look over the weekend and maybe get an assistant on the throttle while I look for any bulging pipes etc!

Regards.

Steve.

• Like 1

The intercooler hose is known for cracking on the underside on this engine, it's been mentioned on these forums a few times over the years and I also had this issue a few years ago.  As you look at the engine from the front, it's at the rear left hand side of the engine and is shaped at 90 degrees.  Upgraded "silicon" hoses are available for a lot less than the cost of a replacement from Ford (a replacement which has the same inherent fault/weakness).

The crack in mine wasn't obvious to the naked eye, even after I removed it from the car.  The test I used to discover the split was I put my hand underneath the 90 degree bend and got someone to rev the engine to a good 4K RPM and hold it there for a few seconds.  I made sure the engine was nice hand hot which meant I could feel the hot air on my hand, it wasn't a huge amount (airflow) and if the engine hadn't already been hot I might not have noticed it.  Either way it's a quick/easy test and if you can't feel anything then you can discount the hose as being the culprit.

(I've attached an image of the hose in question).

Image result for 1.8 tdci egr hose

• Like 1

Hi Damian!

Thanks for that! funnily enough I had another look today and guess which pipe had a split in it, Yep the very same one! Have fitted a new one today, problem cured!!

Many thanks for the input!

Regards.

Steve.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Carpysmith said:

Hi Damian!

Thanks for that! funnily enough I had another look today and guess which pipe had a split in it, Yep the very same one! Have fitted a new one today, problem cured!!

Many thanks for the input!

Regards.

Steve.

No worries mate, it's always nice when it's a cheap/quick fix that doesn't involve having to pay a Ford "stealer"....sorry I meant "Dealer". :thumbup:

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club