Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Trip Computer

J i m

Hi.

I've been thinking of trading in my Fiesta for a Focus.

I've homed in on one of the later Mk1 3rd TDCi hatchbacks. I've selected this because a 3dr hatch is ample for me, the diesel engine has better fuel economy than the 1.6 Zetec Se engine in my Fiesta and also the insurance group is cheaper.

So all in all it should cost less to run (famous last words).

I have do have one question though, it might sound a bit silly. Does anyone one which models the full trip computer comes as standard? My Fiesta only has a simple trip-meter, it does not show for instance average MPG, Instantaneous Fuel Economy, Miles/Kilometers Until Fillup (Range), Outside Ambient Air Temperature, Average Speed etc.

I understand this is the same for some of the focus models as well but I can only seem to find info that says that the Ghia models come with the full trip computer fitted as standard.

Now I know this isn't exactly a vital feature, but it is one I'd like, and I'd also like to avoid the hassle of having to source the various bits n bobs and having to mess about with the wiring loom to fit one.

So if anyone knows please do tell :)

Hi.

I've been thinking of trading in my Fiesta for a Focus.

I've homed in on one of the later Mk1 3rd TDCi hatchbacks. I've selected this because a 3dr hatch is ample for me, the diesel engine has better fuel economy than the 1.6 Zetec Se engine in my Fiesta and also the insurance group is cheaper.

So all in all it should cost less to run (famous last words).

I have do have one question though, it might sound a bit silly. Does anyone one which models the full trip computer comes as standard? My Fiesta only has a simple trip-meter, it does not show for instance average MPG, Instantaneous Fuel Economy, Miles/Kilometers Until Fillup (Range), Outside Ambient Air Temperature, Average Speed etc.

I understand this is the same for some of the focus models as well but I can only seem to find info that says that the Ghia models come with the full trip computer fitted as standard.

Now I know this isn't exactly a vital feature, but it is one I'd like, and I'd also like to avoid the hassle of having to source the various bits n bobs and having to mess about with the wiring loom to fit one.

So if anyone knows please do tell smile.gif

only the ghia has them fitting one isnt hard all you do is take the clock surround off and feel behind it the plug for the computer if you have it will be taped at the back somewhere then you hit a scrapyard get the face tyhe computer outside temp sensor the light stalk with the trip button on it and the screenwash bottle with the level indicator in it fittings a simple case of plugging it all in to be honest thay arent much use anyway the ones that do work dont for long the readout is optomistic dont have one never needed one i wouldnt base my selection on these computers mate they aint all that usefull

Plus the fact that its more hassle than its worth to add all these parts in, the MK2's computer is bog standard doesnt have all the features its advertised with. Your probably better buying a one with a computer, then it saves you the hassle...

Plus the fact that its more hassle than its worth to add all these parts in, the MK2's computer is bog standard doesnt have all the features its advertised with. Your probably better buying a one with a computer, then it saves you the hassle...

all the parts 40 quid from a scrappy and took me an hour to fit it all to be honest after it was done i wondered why he bothered the info it gives is poor anyway and quite frankly people should be able to judge from the fuel gauge how much fuel they have so i dont really see the point

If you want a 3door with a trip computer its gota be a home done jobby the only ones that came with it as standard where the ghia's which only came in 5dr 4dr and estate variants. Also personal oponion but im a bit of a heavey footed driver and the 100bhp tdci is as nippy as treacle pouring out of a tin, the 115bhp is a MUST it acctually shifts preaty quickly lol.

Mike

• Confused 1

Hehehe yeah... I was coming to that conclusion myself, mainly brought about by the "Ghia" only appearing next to 5dr models.

I still want a 3dr though, and people say that it's a fairly easy mod to do, so I'll probably do that.

I probably will eer towards the 115bhp, but I'm the opposite of you, I'm a light footed driver, I barley have to rest my foot on the throttle in the 1.6 Fiesta and it just goes, the motorway is the worst because you're cruising along happily... then you look at the speedo and suddenly realise your'e doing about 95, when it only feels like 65!

I'm also light on the brake pedal, my Fiesta still has it's original discs and pads. Which reminds me... If I go through my with my plan... I will have most likely traded a car with relatively low mileage for one which has done probably double the mileage.

The pro's to that though is better fuel economy and cheaper insurance. What tax band does the Focus TDCi 115 fall under?

Hehehe yeah... I was coming to that conclusion myself, mainly brought about by the "Ghia" only appearing next to 5dr models.

I still want a 3dr though, and people say that it's a fairly easy mod to do, so I'll probably do that.

I probably will eer towards the 115bhp, but I'm the opposite of you, I'm a light footed driver, I barley have to rest my foot on the throttle in the 1.6 Fiesta and it just goes, the motorway is the worst because you're cruising along happily... then you look at the speedo and suddenly realise your'e doing about 95, when it only feels like 65!

I'm also light on the brake pedal, my Fiesta still has it's original discs and pads. Which reminds me... If I go through my with my plan... I will have most likely traded a car with relatively low mileage for one which has done probably double the mileage.

The pro's to that though is better fuel economy and cheaper insurance. What tax band does the Focus TDCi 115 fall under?

Try just settle for a zetec with the climate pack on or an edge (same as a zetec just got bigger alloys and a rear spoiler). I'm aware this is going to sound biast as i have an edge but thats the one id go for again the 115bhp is the only diesel engine you can have and i prefer the alloys, spoiler, seat design etc anddd there usually newer (2004-2005 only). As for the tax bands just have a nose on parkers that will tell you everything about specs and engine stats etc so you get a better idea of what trim and engine to choose from.

Mike

Parkers seems to be having a few problems with the interweb today, so Autotrader to the rescue!

That's another good reason to trade in my Fiesta 1.6 for a Focus TDCi, the road tax is about £50 cheaper a year.

I'd quite like to opt for the Edge, but a Zetec would do as the Edge puts about £40 extra on the insurance.

Now I just need to actually get the budget :(

Parkers seems to be having a few problems with the interweb today, so Autotrader to the rescue!

That's another good reason to trade in my Fiesta 1.6 for a Focus TDCi, the road tax is about £50 cheaper a year.

I'd quite like to opt for the Edge, but a Zetec would do as the Edge puts about £40 extra on the insurance.

Now I just need to actually get the budget :(

Lol never new the edge was more expensive to insure il admit when i went to buy mine i didnt go to look at the one i bought i was after a 1.8 lx in magnum grey but my trusty edge was parked right next to it and i immeditaly dived on it. Is your fez an automatic or a zetec-s bdw/

Mike

My fiesta has the 1.6 Zetec Se engine, manual box, the car is the freestyle range.

just to state the trip computer mod is easy to do if the car has the wiring behind the dash not all cars do im lucky my zetec has wiring for electric mirrors trip computers etc some dont its a hit or miss and short of removing the dash cover you cant tell

If you get the 115tdci, you'll become a hooligan just like me. ;)

I pay £125 for road tax.

Spend the money, you won't regret it, but it costs me £57 to fill the tank abut it last almost 500 miles.

Just got a few quotes for me on a 04plate 1.8tdci ghia 115bhp (18yr old student, 1yrs no claims, mum and dad on my car, fully comp with £500 excess, 3 points) bear in mind its 1 insurance group higher than my 1.6 which im paying 990 to insure .... £1,589.70 WHAT THE F*** :blink:

Mike

Hehe I'm already a hooligan, well in a kart anyway :P

The good news is that the focus tdci is going to be cheaper to run in pretty much every way than my Fiesta. I'll be going from insurance group 8 to 6, which saves about £50, then road tax band I to F again saving about £50, and I'll be getting upto 20 more miles per gallon than I am now, though I know mpg is very much dependant on how you drive and the load of the car.

But I will be getting essentially a better car, yet one that costs less to run than my current fiesta. Well I'm at least trying to rationalise a blantant desire for a different car anyway :D

Just got a few quotes for me on a 04plate 1.8tdci ghia 115bhp (18yr old student, 1yrs no claims, mum and dad on my car, fully comp with £500 excess, 3 points) bear in mind its 1 insurance group higher than my 1.6 which im paying 990 to insure .... £1,589.70 WHAT THE F*** :blink:

Mike

hmm well, yeah you're in a higher risk catergory. My first car a 1.2 Nova cost me about £1200 to to insure 3rd party fire + theft back in 2001. You'll find if all goes well, i,e don't make any claims it will come down every year.

I have 7 years no claims (would have had 9, but the nova got stolen) but the premiums basically got cheaper for me every year until this year, when it actually went up a bit. But I guess I'm at an age and experience level when it can't actually get cheaper and inflation takes over.

Always a good idea to shop around for quotes as well, and these comparison websites don't always produce the cheapest quotes because some companies opt out of them because of the commission they charge.

hmm well, yeah you're in a higher risk catergory. My first car a 1.2 Nova cost me about £1200 to to insure 3rd party fire + theft back in 2001. You'll find if all goes well, i,e don't make any claims it will come down every year.

I have 7 years no claims (would have had 9, but the nova got stolen) but the premiums basically got cheaper for me every year until this year, when it actually went up a bit. But I guess I'm at an age and experience level when it can't actually get cheaper and inflation takes over.

Always a good idea to shop around for quotes as well, and these comparison websites don't always produce the cheapest quotes because some companies opt out of them because of the commission they charge.

well sorry to say edge butto an insurance company youre high risk on anything bigger than a kitchen blender christ i pay 300 and odds a year fully comp with courtesy car breakdown and legal ive never ever had a qoute more than 600 quid even when i passed my test wipe those eyes its the points thats killing you to the insurance youre a constant speeder who is highly likely toi cause an accident lose youre licence you wont find many companies who will even entertain you and the ones that do will ask for silly money so slow down man think how it will feel losing the licence then youll have to do a theory again and a minimum of 10 lessons b4 you can go for a retest all money monety money

well sorry to say edge butto an insurance company youre high risk on anything bigger than a kitchen blender christ i pay 300 and odds a year fully comp with courtesy car breakdown and legal ive never ever had a qoute more than 600 quid even when i passed my test wipe those eyes its the points thats killing you to the insurance youre a constant speeder who is highly likely toi cause an accident lose youre licence you wont find many companies who will even entertain you and the ones that do will ask for silly money so slow down man think how it will feel losing the licence then youll have to do a theory again and a minimum of 10 lessons b4 you can go for a retest all money monety money

I know but still 1,500 for a focus DIESEL :( all for the sake of one night's mistake saying that it could of been much worse and since i must admit ive backed right off. Sticking to the speedlimit just getting there quite quickly if the roads empty. Higest quote ive ever had was about 12k for my little edge just after i passed my test and no thats not a joke lol. Roal on next january can get 12 points then.

Mike

I know but still 1,500 for a focus DIESEL sad.gif all for the sake of one night's mistake saying that it could of been much worse and since i must admit ive backed right off. Sticking to the speedlimit just getting there quite quickly if the roads empty. Higest quote ive ever had was about 12k for my little edge just after i passed my test and no thats not a joke lol. Roal on next january can get 12 points then.

Mike

theres a lot of companies that dont accept 2 points now even if you didnt get banned you want to behave until they points are cleared my pal just lost his 6mnths ago hes had to pay for all the lessons he has to take etc now he has a 1.0 litre corsa and even that at the cheapest qoute he could ghet is 950 quid a year thats a standard 1999 corsa the insurance cost more than the car and he had a hell of a time who would touch him with 12 points now hes stuck to driving craop he acnt modify and being over taken by pensioners he went through a list of cars and that was litteraly all he could get insured on so behave man before youre not a focus owner you end up a corsa driver i aint talking to you

theres a lot of companies that dont accept 2 points now even if you didnt get banned you want to behave until they points are cleared my pal just lost his 6mnths ago hes had to pay for all the lessons he has to take etc now he has a 1.0 litre corsa and even that at the cheapest qoute he could ghet is 950 quid a year thats a standard 1999 corsa the insurance cost more than the car and he had a hell of a time who would touch him with 12 points now hes stuck to driving craop he acnt modify and being over taken by pensioners he went through a list of cars and that was litteraly all he could get insured on so behave man before youre not a focus owner you end up a corsa driver i aint talking to you

If i became a corsa driver dont worry i wouldant speak to myself id rather catch cancer and as im sure you'll all agree thats something! After being chased down by a T5 cant really say as im going to be doing it in the near or distant future touch wood i nearly droped my licence when i handed it over i was physically shaking that much (yes im a wimp). And i had a list when i was looking for a car and there were the usual 1.2 polo's etc but my mum wouldant let me have anything smaller than a focus god bless overbearing parents.

Mike

Lol.... luckily I have a clean license... always have, and hopefully (touches wood) always will.

i wish i was bought a 1.2 punto actually it was a good car never let me dow had it till it was rear ended at that time 78k on the clock and not a spot of trouble in 40k miles so far my focus is the dearest car ive bought saw it wanted it dont like 3 doors just 2 impractical when you have kids if i didnt have kids it would be a 3 door but saw my focus and knew it was the one i wanted could have had the ghia but too much on them to go wrong i wanted as impler car no aircon to knacker up could have ghad the diesel but it was a saloon and green plug ugly looking thing mine was just in tucked in the corner had to haggle to get her but glad i did people can say what they like about fords but its better than my passat was a lot of the guys on the vw forum had got rid of fords for v then wished they hadnt when things kept needing fixed and replaced

I'd love a Volkswagon or Audi. Problem with them though is that they are simply more expensive, more expensive and more expensive to service.

dont they are sxxt for one there are more sensors on them than the starship enterprise and vw take 60 quid before its even on the ramps the parts are ridiculously priced the whole front end of the car hads to come off to do the timing belt and tensioners which fail regularly a big and involved job vw price 600 independant 400 and unless youre really good with engines and timing forget it as they arent marked lucky my mate can do it so a few pints paid for that the aircon pumps are failing drasticallyleaving a 700 quid bill to get it fixed thats a dity price vw want 1300 quid the suspension set up is mad theres 4 arms on each front strut costing 30 quid an arm to replace the climatronic always fails 4 spark plugs at the cheapest come in at at least 35 quid and 50 for the leads mine had a full vw dealer history my mates audi has so many reciepts it looks like the lord of the rings novel hes spent in the last year on wear and taer items over 1000quid doing the work himself i had enough fixing mine every week then they leak through the pollen filter except when they do the control module that works all interior electrics alarm windows climatronic/aircon gets soaked if youre lucky no damage if not a new one and thats expensive to fix door wiring always breaks meaning you cant get doors open to fix them without damaging the door card to get it off so new door cards needed the list goes on honestly never believe the hype unless you have cash to burn leave vw and audi and seat well alone

I used to be apprentice mechanic (didn't see it through, long story). Anyhoo the dealership I worked for sold and serviced Jaguar, but we had a dealership of the same group that did Mazda around the corner.

The Mazda garage was only small, so they'd often nip round to use our workshop to do tyres for example. Sometimes we'd nip over there if we needed to borrow a bit of kit from them. I remember having a lengthy conversation with one of them as they were servicing one of the Mazdas. And we came to the conclusion that basically the only difference between the two marques from a servicing point of view was that the Jaguar has significantly more noughts in the price before the decimal point and usually after another higher value digit.

And I think that rings true for the industry in general, Prestige isn't always quality.

The garage I worked for charged about £90 per hour labour. That was back in 2002, it's probably significantly more now. I've been out of the industry since about mid 2003 I think.

I used to be apprentice mechanic (didn't see it through, long story). Anyhoo the dealership I worked for sold and serviced Jaguar, but we had a dealership of the same group that did Mazda around the corner.

The Mazda garage was only small, so they'd often nip round to use our workshop to do tyres for example. Sometimes we'd nip over there if we needed to borrow a bit of kit from them. I remember having a lengthy conversation with one of them as they were servicing one of the Mazdas. And we came to the conclusion that basically the only difference between the two marques from a servicing point of view was that the Jaguar has significantly more noughts in the price before the decimal point and usually after another higher value digit.

And I think that rings true for the industry in general, Prestige isn't always quality.

The garage I worked for charged about £90 per hour labour. That was back in 2002, it's probably significantly more now. I've been out of the industry since about mid 2003 I think.

dont get me wrong the vw can do silly mileage but the cost of keeping it maintained is ridiculous i know a few people who had them 7 of us none of us have vw anymore we all sold them now we have nissan 2 of 1 skoda octavia 3 fords and a hyundai nopne of us will ever buy a vw or audi again even my hairdresser got rid of hers when it went for a service and she got a qoute for 1100 quid some of the most reliable cars ive had have been the cheapest like my dads old hyundai accent he bought in 1995 i got it after the punto was pranged i had it with 80k on the clock no major faults no big repairs no rust and it started every time while the rest of the cars struggled through the winters it wa worth about 200 quid no electric windows ort aircon no abs etc yet it handled well and was really nippy at the garage i worked at from the cars we had in i wouldnt buy ford kas pugeots of any kind or citroens nor vw or audi they were by far the majority that came in and all the bills were big ggod we were on first name terms with ahlf the customers you would see them at lleast 2 times every month

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club