Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford paying out for engine failure.

jace1969

At last ford are going to pay out 100% for the engine problems and recalling them to be checked.

Looks like the full range from 1.0 to 1.6 reading BBC news.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-45628325?intlink_from_url=https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/topics/cz4pr2gdgyyt/ford&link_location=live-reporting-story

So all the split pipes could get there repair for free,we live in hope but glad i have the old 1.6 2011,not as good in its own way but no turbo and keeps plodding on.

Hopefully I’ve posted this in the right place (on my phone)

not sure if anyone saw the BBC last night but this might be good news for ecoboost owners who have had to pay a % towards their new engines after they’ve ‘blown’. Ford now stating they will pay 100% of the bill and they’re looking back at people who have already paid 👍🏼

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-england-45628325

• Like 1

BBC1 tonight at 19.30  Inside Out.

(Keeley Donovan meets some of the hundreds of Ford customers whose engines have failed without warning, in some cases bursting into flames.)

2 hours ago, kossofffan said:

BBC1 tonight at 19.30  Inside Out.

(Keeley Donovan meets some of the hundreds of Ford customers whose engines have failed without warning, in some cases bursting into flames.)

gxuM60O.gif.bf9b93c212faaa4bcd9e8763db774ccd.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

While this is good news for anyone who's engine has already exploded, it's a bit late by then!! :unsure:  It doesn't exactly give me any more confidence in the 1.0EB, the failures seem to still be getting more frequent, even after the degas hose recall.  As the cars get older I can only see this getting worse and it's really putting me off them tbh.  

How hard can it be to make an engine that is both efficient AND reliable!?  :sad:   

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TomsFocus said:

While this is good news for anyone who's engine has already exploded, it's a bit late by then!! :unsure:  It doesn't exactly give me any more confidence in the 1.0EB, the failures seem to still be getting more frequent, even after the degas hose recall.  As the cars get older I can only see this getting worse and it's really putting me off them tbh.  

How hard can it be to make an engine that is both efficient AND reliable!?  :sad:   

The amount of engines out there, as a percentage, the failures are still really low.

9 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

The amount of engines out there, as a percentage, the failures are still really low.

The real problem for people is Fords (in particular Andy Barratt) ‘couldn’t give a monkeys’ attitude and ‘side stepping’ of the problem. Personally, after Fords profit losses in Europe and the fact that they’re losing court cases in other countries regarding the ecoboost I think they’ve realised ignoring the problem & burying their heads is going to hurt them big time.

Edited by Russ

Just now, Russ said:

The real problem for people is Fords (in particular Andy Barratt) ‘couldn’t give a monkeys’ attitude and ‘side stepping’ of the problem

As is the same with every car maker and big company. 😞

They'll all try and get away with stuff as long as they can and give as little back until it's deemed the reputation damage outweighs the cost to put it right.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

It doesn't seem all that low to me tbh, with all the forums and facebook pages I'm on, the EcoBoosts are by far the most frequent engine failures.  Complete engine failure isn't something that should be happing on a sub 7 year old car at all let alone so frequently.  I can't be the only one that is more bothered by the risk of a sudden unavoidable breakdown or fire than the cost of repair after the event?  

I drove a DV6 for 3 years permanently worrying about the turbo popping...I don't want to drive an EcoBoost permanently worrying about the engine exploding and potentially catching fire.  Tbh, I don't even remember seeing as many DV6 turbo failures as I'm seeing 1.0EB engine failures.  :unsure: 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

It doesn't seem all that low to me tbh, with all the forums and facebook pages I'm on, the EcoBoosts are by far the most frequent engine failures.  Complete engine failure isn't something that should be happing on a sub 7 year old car at all let alone so frequently.  I can't be the only one that is more bothered by the risk of breakdown or fire than the cost of repair after the event?  

I drove a DV6 for 3 years permanently worrying about the turbo popping...I don't want to drive an EcoBoost permanently worrying about the engine exploding and potentially catching fire.  Tbh, I don't even remember seeing as many DV6 turbo failures as I'm seeing 1.0EB engine failures.  :unsure: 

Ford are selling around 100k Fiestas a year, of which what 50% are the 1.0 EB? So since 2013, that's what 250,000 1.0 EBs just in Fiestas. The BBC article mentions 3000 members, even if they were all Fiesta's that's about 1% failure rate.

Add in all the B-max, Foci, Ecosports, etc that it's fitted to. It's still a fairly low failure rate imo.

The issue was that they didn't have a sensor in the early ones to detect coolant loss, coupled with brittle coolant pipes. That's all been rectified with recalls and updates since.

4 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

Ford are selling around 100k Fiestas a year, of which what 50% are the 1.0 EB? So since 2013, that's what 250,000 1.0 EBs just in Fiestas. The BBC article mentions 3000 members, even if they were all Fiesta's that's about 1% failure rate.

Add in all the B-max, Foci, Ecosports, etc that it's fitted to. It's still a fairly low failure rate imo.

Your missing the point, how would you feel if you were one of the ‘few’ who’s fiesta, focus or ‘any ford with an ecoboost’ went bang and when you contacted Ford were fobbed off with excuses such as ‘it’s the way you drive it’ or ‘it hasn’t been serviced by ford’! (Two of the excuses used) Then to be told ‘we’re only giving you 55%, like it or lump it’!

Just now, Russ said:

Your missing the point, how would you feel if you were one of the ‘few’ who’s fiesta, focus or ‘any ford with an ecoboost’ went bang and when you contacted Ford were robbed off with excuses such as ‘it’s the way you drive it’ or ‘it hasn’t been serviced by ford’! (Two of the excuses used) Then to be told ‘we’re only giving you 55%, like it or lump it’!

I'd be dragging them to court as I'd expect to take any other maker under the same circumstances.

I'm not saying what Ford did before is right, but I don't expect any less from a big company.

My point was just that given the huge number of these engines out there, the rate of failure still isn't that high.

No it doesn't excuse Ford for treating those few customers badly, but that's big business. I don't like it, just expect it.

2 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

The issue was that they didn't have a sensor in the early ones to detect coolant loss, coupled with brittle coolant pipes. That's all been rectified with recalls and updates since.

I agree it's a low percentage, but it's not a low number.  We are talking about thousands of cars that this has happened to and it's a major safety issue.  It's not even a limp-mode causing fault which would be a bit more acceptable at this sort of rate.

Fitting a low coolant sensor isn't a fix for the problem either.  The plastic coolant pipes weren't the only issue, most of the cars that it's happening to now have had the recall done! If you do get a burst pipe at 70 in the overtaking lane the engine will be cooked by the time the light has come on and you've pulled over to the hard shoulder and shut the engine off...if there even is anywhere to pull over, there often isn't on dual carriageways or smart motorways.  And that's assuming the engine doesn't just cut out in a live lane before you're able to stop safely.  Then you're still stranded at the side of the road with a totally undriveable car.  

I know there is a risk of a fault causing this sudden and catastrophic failure with any car, but the risk is clearly much higher than average with the 1.0/1.6 EcoBoost engines.

I don't think we're going to agree on this so I'll leave it there lol.

1 minute ago, TomsFocus said:

I agree it's a low percentage, but it's not a low number.  We are talking about thousands of cars that this has happened to and it's a major safety issue.  It's not even a limp-mode causing fault which would be a bit more acceptable at this sort of rate.

Fitting a low coolant sensor isn't a fix for the problem either.  The plastic coolant pipes weren't the only issue, most of the cars that it's happening to now have had the recall done! If you do get a burst pipe at 70 in the overtaking lane the engine will be cooked by the time the light has come on and you've pulled over to the hard shoulder and shut the engine off...if there even is anywhere to pull over, there often isn't on dual carriageways or smart motorways.  And that's assuming the engine doesn't just cut out in a live lane before you're able to stop safely.  Then you're still stranded at the side of the road with a totally undriveable car.  

I know there is a risk of a fault causing this sudden and catastrophic failure with any car, but the risk is clearly much higher than average with the 1.0/1.6 EcoBoost engines.

I don't think we're going to agree on this so I'll leave it there lol.

I'm not disagreeing with the issue, just trying to put it in perspective.

You have to look at thing as percentages, it's only fair.

Companies with the most customer will typically have the most complaints, but it's about the percentage of unhappy customers that's important.

5 hours ago, alexp999 said:

I'm not disagreeing with the issue, just trying to put it in perspective.

You have to look at thing as percentages, it's only fair.

Companies with the most customer will typically have the most complaints, but it's about the percentage of unhappy customers that's important.

A large percentage of customers won't know they have a problem yet. At some point in the future, guaranteed there'll be way more failures.

Problems I know about:

1) Plastic degas pipe cracks and dumps coolant. Fire risk and cooks engine. Recall issued

2) Turbo coolant pipe rusts and dumps coolant. Fire risk and cooks engine. No recall yet. 

3) No coolant temp sensor on ST's. Overheating (unspecified cause as far as I can tell) cracks head gasket, cooking engine. Recall issued. 

Problem 1 was largely solved by the recall. Problem 2 is going to rear it's ugly head in the next few years as people's pipes start failing. Problem 3 is the one the media are going nuts about today. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ford need to get on top of this, look what the K series head gasket did to Rover's reputation (same small coolant capacity - no alarm issue?_

I have just took my car in to ford I have the fiesta 1.0 eco boost and it is leaking coolant. I only notices as my heater stopped working suddenly and when I googled it said it may be due to low coolant. Anyway I took it in to ford who said they would fix it under the recall programme however they have now said as it is leaking from the turbo that they will not pay for this and want £1100!!! I have only had the car for 17months and it is only 3 years old (just outside of warranty)! I now have a car that is stuck at the ford dealership and is unsafe to drive I have an outstanding finance agreement and. I can not afford that kind of money to get a car fixed that I have had for such a short period of time and for that major fault to be happening in a 3 year old car simply is not right!!  I am absolutely livid!! I saw a comment before regarding common problems with leaks from the turbo  can anyone give me any more info or advice that would help me to fight this with ford?

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 2:28 PM, Laurag86 said:

I have just took my car in to ford I have the fiesta 1.0 eco boost and it is leaking coolant. I only notices as my heater stopped working suddenly and when I googled it said it may be due to low coolant. Anyway I took it in to ford who said they would fix it under the recall programme however they have now said as it is leaking from the turbo that they will not pay for this and want £1100!!! I have only had the car for 17months and it is only 3 years old (just outside of warranty)! I now have a car that is stuck at the ford dealership and is unsafe to drive I have an outstanding finance agreement and. I can not afford that kind of money to get a car fixed that I have had for such a short period of time and for that major fault to be happening in a 3 year old car simply is not right!!  I am absolutely livid!! I saw a comment before regarding common problems with leaks from the turbo  can anyone give me any more info or advice that would help me to fight this with ford?

Hi Laura and welcome to the forum.

If your turbo is leaking then it may be linked to the pipes as per this thread (linked to the last post which includes the Ford technical service bulletin - TSB) which may be the same issue with your car.

On 10/19/2018 at 2:28 PM, Laurag86 said:

UK head of Ford stated on TV that ford will be covering 100% of coolant related ecoboost engine failures. Whether or not they will actually deliver is another question -- but it's worth pushing! 

Raise your case with mgrcrc@ford.com. Regular CRC will refuse to deal with the case as it is coolant related so you do need to go via the mgrcrc email. 

• Like 1

Sorry you guys , Kia have a seven year warranty. My Mondy 2005 Duratec 2L petrol is the last Ford I shall own. I do have a Kia Piccanto and the brake light switch was replaced at year 6.5 with no cost and no hassle.It makes no sense to buy a faulty new car that is then treated with contempt by the manufacturers and dealers.

Ford will only change by losing sales to rivals that are giving a better service

My Mondy is 13 years old but totally reliable and gives me 34 mpg. I am happy with that and the only faults have been poor quality springs (front) year 5 and year 6. No problems since replacement with Partco cheapos. Ford should have used them first. 

• 2 weeks later...

Bad news folks. Regular Ford CRC can no longer handle cases related to the Ecoboost coolant system, and mgrcrc are rejecting responsibility for everything that isn't a recall. 

tl;dr ford will screw us all over in the future. Title should be changed to "Ford only paying out for anything coolant related if there's a relevant recall" or "ford not paying out for technical faults that would cause engine failure"

2 hours ago, jbell said:

Bad news folks. Regular Ford CRC can no longer handle cases related to the Ecoboost coolant system, and mgrcrc are rejecting responsibility for everything that isn't a recall. 

tl;dr ford will screw us all over in the future. Title should be changed to "Ford only paying out for anything coolant related if there's a relevant recall" or "ford not paying out for technical faults that would cause engine failure"

Who are MGR?  Are you saying, for example, they'll only pay if you've missed the recall and the fat hose breaks resulting in engine failure?  Not if you've had the recall and the thin hose breaks causing engine failure?

*Giggles nervously after noticing my Golfs TBM (emissions recall warranty) ran out altogether last week* :laugh: 

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

Who are MGR?  Are you saying, for example, they'll only pay if you've missed the recall and the fat hose breaks resulting in engine failure?  Not if you've had the recall and the thin hose breaks causing engine failure?

*Giggles nervously after noticing my Golfs TBM (emissions recall warranty) ran out altogether last week* :laugh: 

Mgrcrc ( mgrcrc@ford.com ) is the "dedicated" Ford CRC contact for Ecoboost engine coolant system issues, according to the main Ford CRC. Regular Ford CRC refuse (they say they're not allowed) to deal with coolant system issues and refer to mgrcrc instead. 

Mgrcrc aren't interested in anything other than the degas recall. So if you have *any* coolant related issue that is a ford design issue and isn't the degas recall - they'll both fob you off. It's totally unacceptable, this sort of behaviour from Ford will build a few easy small claims victory for people affected I would say. Either the left hand isn't telling the right hand what it's up to, or they're deliberately trying to dump responsibility for their design mistakes on the Ecoboost by just fobbing people off with excuses about recalls and other teams. 

In summary I've been fobbed off by both CRC teams for over a month and am out of pocket on the repair of their design fault myself. Thus far they've refused to even acknowledge the fault, never mind that it was their mistake.   

Assuming an apology doesn't land in my inbox from Ford (regardless of status of compensation - it isn't a huge sum I spent on the repair) with acknowledgement that turbo pipe rust isn't normal / the customers fault in the next few days I won't ever be buying another Ford, simple as that. What a terrible way to treat their customers. 

/rant

• Sad 1

• 8 months later...
On 10/1/2018 at 6:47 PM, jbell said:

A large percentage of customers won't know they have a problem yet. At some point in the future, guaranteed there'll be way more failures.

Problems I know about:

1) Plastic degas pipe cracks and dumps coolant. Fire risk and cooks engine. Recall issued

2) Turbo coolant pipe rusts and dumps coolant. Fire risk and cooks engine. No recall yet. 

3) No coolant temp sensor on ST's. Overheating (unspecified cause as far as I can tell) cracks head gasket, cooking engine. Recall issued. 

Problem 1 was largely solved by the recall. Problem 2 is going to rear it's ugly head in the next few years as people's pipes start failing. Problem 3 is the one the media are going nuts about today. 

Does anyone have a list an , part numbers for these items so we can start fixing them ourselves? 

Thanks

Ian. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club