Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford paying out for engine failure.

jace1969

Hi I have a Ford Focus 1.0 Ecoboost 2013. Whilst driving home the oil light came on and lost acceleration there were no other warning lights. I have been told by ford that I need a new turbo & engine at cost of £3700 due to loss of oil pressure. 
Has anyone else come across this issue before?

thanks

Ed

• 3 years later...

Just had this happen to me and im getting nowhere with fords...   In fact i feel like they are doing everything they can to fob me off.

The coolant pipe split on my 2013 1.0 ecoboost causing the engine to overheat or whatever it does, The car only has 51,000 miles and full ford service history.

I went to allen ford and bought a new hose, had the hose fitted and refilled the coolant. It wouldnt start, it looked like water was vacuuming back up trying to come out of the coolant bottle.

I towed it in to fords who diagnosed it and said theres evidence of coolant in all 3 cylinders, and want £4300 for a new engine.

This is where it gets a joke. 

I saw a reply from fords to parliament on 13th November 2018 where fords say the following......

Ford also notified dealers of the FSA and any affected vehicles presented to a Ford dealership for a routine service or maintenance check or trade-in should have had the degas hose upgrade carried out to address the concern 

So my car has been into a main dealer all of its life for servicing, over 10 service stamps, and not once have they changed this hose causing the problems.  I mentioned this to fords who say were sorry but your car is 10 years old and isn't covered,

I tell them hang on a second.... your own advice tells the dealers to have changed it, mines been in your dealers 10 times and not been changed,  This is your fault not mine. You have had the opportunity to change it on several occasions and haven't bothered.

crazier still is Fords are still today selling the old pipe which splits, goes brittle etc. as thats what they sold me on the replacement i bought. why on earth are they still selling that hose, surely they should only be selling the upgraded hose or your just asking for future problems.

Fords pass me to the resource center, who passes me to the dealer, who passes me back to fords and i go round and round in cirlces of them telling me the car isnt covered, and dont seem to want to take responsibility that they had 10 chances to change this and didnt do it to save money.  They wasnt told to check the hose, they was specifically told  to have had the degas hose upgrade carried out to address the concern .

Currently i have a immaculate car with full service history and low mileage stuck on my drive i cant do anything with and fords are doing nothing to help at all...   absolute joke. 9 times out of 10 you cant even get a dealer to answer a phonecall, let alone return a call.

Im lost as to what to do and feel totally let down by fords and totally left in limbo.

2 minutes ago, unofix said:

I very much doubt if there is such a thing as a "good" used 1.0 ecoboost engine. Unless someone is willing to give you at least a 3 year 40,000 mile warranty, all you are potentially doing is installing an unknown time bomb.

Any used replacement regardless of age or mileage would need to be stripped and have the wet belts replaced as previous service will be unknown. To do this will cost around £1200 on top of the cost of the engine which will probably be between £1200 to £1400 plus fitting, unless you can do that yourself.

You can buy a brand new, with warranty 1.0 Ecoboost engine from PumaSpeed for £1999.90 inc VAT to fit yourself, or they will supply and fit for £2989.90 inc VAT

https://pumaspeed.co.uk/product-Brand-New-Ford-Service-10-EcoBoost-Engine_18898.jsp

10 hours ago, AUDIdoTHAT said:

So my car has been into a main dealer all of its life for servicing, over 10 service stamps, and not once have they changed this hose causing the problems.  I mentioned this to fords who say were sorry but your car is 10 years old and isn't covered,

I tell them hang on a second.... your own advice tells the dealers to have changed it, mines been in your dealers 10 times and not been changed,  This is your fault not mine. You have had the opportunity to change it on several occasions and haven't bothered.

crazier still is Fords are still today selling the old pipe which splits, goes brittle etc. as thats what they sold me on the replacement i bought. why on earth are they still selling that hose, surely they should only be selling the upgraded hose or your just asking for future problems.

Just for information, your car does have the latest hose which will have been fitted under recall.  (Just seen it on your other thread).

Sadly, the new hose is still *****, and will eventually break again, but Ford don't take any responsibility for that.  Only if you've not had the recall hose fitted in the first place.  The best course of action is to bypass Ford dealerships and fit the facelift hoses, which are a totally different design.

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

Just for information, your car does have the latest hose which will have been fitted under recall.  (Just seen it on your other thread).

Sadly, the new hose is still *****, and will eventually break again, but Ford don't take any responsibility for that.  Only if you've not had the recall hose fitted in the first place.  The best course of action is to bypass Ford dealerships and fit the facelift hoses, which are a totally different design.

Its really bad how crap that hose is...   It was so brittle by the T piece that it was crumbling in my hand with the slightest amount of pressure,  also where that thinner hose Tee's off and plugs onto the engine, that bit where it plugs in was also very brittle, In fact it came away from the clip that holds it into the engine, and had to get the clip out separately,  again for a car with relatively low miles its not good. Out of curiosity, what makes you say mine is the newer hose ? whats the difference between the old hose and what you see on mine for example ?  I have never had a recall for this so im unsure how mine has the newer hose

16 minutes ago, AUDIdoTHAT said:

Its really bad how crap that hose is...   It was so brittle by the T piece that it was crumbling in my hand with the slightest amount of pressure,  also where that thinner hose Tee's off and plugs onto the engine, that bit where it plugs in was also very brittle, In fact it came away from the clip that holds it into the engine, and had to get the clip out separately,  again for a car with relatively low miles its not good. Out of curiosity, what makes you say mine is the newer hose ? whats the difference between the old hose and what you see on mine for example ?  I have never had a recall for this so im unsure how mine has the newer hose

The recalled hose was made of hard plastic between the T-piece and the coolant reservoir.  The new hose is made of rubber.  The 'old' hose hasn't been available to buy new for many years now.

This isn't actually a recall that you'd be told about.  Ford replaced them 'on the quiet' when the car went in for a service.

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

The recalled hose was made of hard plastic between the T-piece and the coolant reservoir.  The new hose is made of rubber.  The 'old' hose hasn't been available to buy new for many years now.

This isn't actually a recall that you'd be told about.  Ford replaced them 'on the quiet' when the car went in for a service.

ah ok i see, mine had actually snapped on the t-piece itself, but even if the t-piece hadn't snapped, the state the thinner hose was in in the way of brittle and perishing it would have gone sooner or later anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AUDIdoTHAT said:

ah ok i see, mine had actually snapped on the t-piece itself, but even if the t-piece hadn't snapped, the state the thinner hose was in in the way of brittle and perishing it would have gone sooner or later anyway.

Yes, the whole pre-facelift pipe setup really is poor quality.  If keeping the car I'd always advise upgrading the facelift pipe setup instead.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club