Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Ka Edge front struts

Robjay

Hi, my daughters car (Ford Ka Edge) has just been to Halfords for new front suspension struts fitting after MOT failure. Paid nearly £400.

Thing is , on travelling home from the garage she noticed a knocking noise from the front and on opening the bonnet I notice that each of the strut tops looks different. I have attached photos of each side - one looks nice and neat, the other messy and ill fitted looking.

What have they done wrong?

She has rung Halfords and they say to bring the car in tomorrow to have a look but is it safe to drive as it is? Thanks in advance for any info.

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

Personally I wouldn't drive it. It could do damage as the rubber cap isn't seated correctly and the metal in the middle could cause damage. Every time you go over a bump it will ride up and that's why it's making that noise. 
Does the car sit lower on one side? 

Thanks for the quick response. I haven't noticed it being lower on one side but will check. It's not very far from where she lives to Halfords so I suppose she will have to drive as carefully as possible to get there.

That rubber cap is a dust cover to stop any crud getting inside. As far as the noise is concerned it could be anything if they have removed the strut, could be the strut itself, drop link, strut bearing. I don't mean to be rude by asking this but how have they justified charging you nearly £400 to replace a shocker! Seems very excessive

Untitled.png

They have replaced both sides suspension struts (the assembly that's in your diagram above). The one with the lifted rubber cover has obviously not been fitted right. It's as though the rubber part 3W015 or 18198 in your diagram has been missed off.

take car back straight away and contack the aa as they so say recommend Halfords.

ask for the manager to take a look at it and state you do not want the same so called mechanic touching your car

They sorted it today. Apparently, the photo which looks "wrong" is actually the correct way its fitted. I thought it would be the other way round. Anyway, I compared to someone else's Ka Edge to confirm how it should look. 

Halfords refitted it - took about 1.5 hrs. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club