Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stalling cmax

Mattrburrows

Our1.6 petrol cmax has some very strange ways.

most of the time whilst driving it feels like it is missing, under power and not performing as it should .  On occasion it stalls when coming to a stop, I can have my foot all the way down on the clutch and the engine revs drop and splutter then it stalks, it’s done it to me as we come to a junction leaving me in the middle of the road trying to restart the engine.

im really fed up and worried that ee will have an accident if we can’t solve the problem. 

Has anyone got any advice????

Sounds like an electrical problem probably coil or plugs, when was it last serviced? Without fault codes its hard to say, is the engine management light on?

Thanks for the reply, I’ve had a new coil and it’s serviced every year, it happens even straight after it’s been serviced.  One thought was the a/c was taking too much power so we had it recharged and serviced again it made no difference.  No fault code comes up at all.  We have even changed the distributor and no joy.  The mechanic did mention that he saw that there were tens of thousands of misses logged but no fault

44 minutes ago, Mattrburrows said:

The mechanic did mention that he saw that there were tens of thousands of misses logged but no fault

If it was a generic code reader it may not pick up the fault codes.

It’s such a pain think it might be an expensive trip to the ford garage 

Changed the distributor on a 2011 car? :unsure: 

Forscan would be ideal here, as Pete says, the generic readers often miss faults.

Is it the Ti-VCT or the conventional 1.6?

Hahaha sorry I meant alternator, I think it’s just a standard 1.6.  Nothing fancy about it at all.

sometimes it flys along then other times it struggles to get to 60. 

Mate you suggesting Ford take a look?? If so any idea how much they charge????

I'm suggesting you get Forscan and check it yourself. :smile:  There are plenty of posts about it on here but essentially it's a free Ford specific diagnostic program that is almost as good as Fords own software.  You will need either an ELM cable or wireless dongle (depending on whether you have access to a laptop or a smart phone) but these only cost around £15.

Fords charge about £80 just for a fault check last I heard...but I don't use main dealers myself so it may have gone up since!

I must admit, it sounds like a coilpack issue tbh, do you notice it's worse when the car is up to temperature than when it's cold?  Was the replacement a genuine item or a cheap aftermarket part?

• 4 months later...

sorry to bring up a old thread but, my car has started to do this also. will be buying a ELM cable next payday

On 10/6/2018 at 10:41 AM, TomsFocus said:

I must admit, it sounds like a coilpack issue tbh, do you notice it's worse when the car is up to temperature than when it's cold?  Was the replacement a genuine item or a cheap aftermarket part?

I have noticed that this issue is worse when the car is warm, and if the air con is on, does these sound like possible symtoms?

15 hours ago, khevolution said:

sorry to bring up a old thread but, my car has started to do this also. will be buying a ELM cable next payday

I have noticed that this issue is worse when the car is warm, and if the air con is on, does these sound like possible symtoms?

Worse when warm is often a good sign that it's a coil pack at fault, but wait and see what codes Forscan brings up.  If it is the coil pack, that may not show on Forscan unless it's really bad.

thanks that is good to hear, i had visions of it being a lot more expensive, and if i can do it myself even better, is it worth going for the paid version of ForScan or will the free version be enough

If you're using a cable & laptop the free version is fine.  It's all I've been using for the last 4 years lol.

1 hour ago, khevolution said:

thanks that is good to hear, i had visions of it being a lot more expensive, and if i can do it myself even better, is it worth going for the paid version of ForScan or will the free version be enough

Ive allways used the free version never had a problem

• 1 year later...

Hi, I have a similar fault, stalling frequently when radio & aircon are on, did you find the solution?