Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Keyless Entry Theft

Hamster

Hi folks

There has been some news reports this morning (TV and Daily Mail) highlighting the vulnerabilities of key-less entry and engine start-up.

If it's possible, keep your key-less keys in the microwave oven (don't cook them though). Alternatively keep them in a metal tin (eat the sweets first) or a foil lined plastic tub.

Hamster 

Aye a metal box is fine,  and don't forget about your spare key fobs. 

I bought a metal cash box from eBay so I can keep all my keys in it, only a tenner. Other key is in metal filing cabinet. 

• 3 weeks later...

Does a simple metal key box work as a Faraday cage?  I only ask as a few years ago I opened my car from inside a shipping container (different car, part of an experiment nothing to do with keyless)?

Has anyone actually tested this or are we blindly following it cos someone on the net said so? 😀

I had a Faraday bag and that was ok for a few months. Apparently it wore out and no longer works

It would depend on how good the metal box was at blocking the signals. Aluminium is proven to work, but I assume your metal box is steal. Try it and see. 

21 hours ago, AjM said:

Does a simple metal key box work as a Faraday cage?  I only ask as a few years ago I opened my car from inside a shipping container (different car, part of an experiment nothing to do with keyless)?

Has anyone actually tested this or are we blindly following it cos someone on the net said so? 😀

Not necessarily! A fully enclosed metal case around an object will only attenuate (reduce) the signal level by a certain amount, but not block it completely. Especially a box that is made from a ferrous material. That will 'conduct' the magnetism associated with radio waves.

If you place a box in a box (with a suitable separating gap ALL the way around it), you will achieve better results. If your really interested, here is a good article that explains the physics ...

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/303291124_Material_Analysis_and_Application_for_Radio_Frequency_Electromagnetic_Wave_Shielding

• 1 month later...
On 10/4/2018 at 10:27 AM, eddiek said:

Aye a metal box is fine,  and don't forget about your spare key fobs. 

Update to above,  I gave it a try and the metal box on its own didn`t shield the radio signal.  Step 2,  wrapped key in tin foil and then placed in metal box,  Result.  Walked right up to car and it couldn`t detect key.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/5/2018 at 12:42 PM, eddiek said:

Update to above,  I gave it a try and the metal box on its own didn`t shield the radio signal.  Step 2,  wrapped key in tin foil and then placed in metal box,  Result.  Walked right up to car and it couldn`t detect key.

Bit of a pain though. 

On 10/22/2018 at 12:57 PM, AjM said:

Hi All

I purchased a pair of these "Rf Blocking" pouches and a wallet from amazon a short while back.

With key in pouch, could walk right up to car, but could not unlock it until took key right out of pouch. Now all keys kept in pouches as secondary line of defence.

Happy motoring

Dave

18 hours ago, Edge of Reason said:

Bit of a pain though. 

Yes it would be a pain but only done it as an experiment.  Think now i`ll line the same box, including the lid with the tin foil and see what that does to the radio signal. 

• 1 month later...

Just bought these and I’m very impressed.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07BMBN65X/ref=pe_3187911_189395841_TE_dp_1

With my key in one of the pouches (you get 2) I can stand right at the drivers door and can’t get in the car. If I take the key out the pouch and go inside the car then put it back in the pouch again, the car will not start. I now keep the key in one pouch at home and keep the other pouch in the car so I can take into work, restaurant or wherever I go. Brilliant. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club