Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

What Counts As Modifications?

SteveThePirate

Ive recently put neons my fiesta and then purchased a cone style air filter.

I phoned the insurance company who told me i cant put my filter in til im 21 :angry: , at the time i forgot to mention the neons. :blink:

so do neons count as a modification that affects insurance? , since ive read alot they're only bothered by modifications that affect performance(like the air filter) or ones that greatly affect the value (alloys)

And if they dont count what else could i get away with before the insurance becomes invalid ?

I think pretty much any Mod affects insurance.

For example, if you had a Fiesta Style and replaced the Style badge with an ST badge this would invalidate your insurance as it is more attractive to thieves.

In conclusion anything that changes the car from standard is a Mod and therefore should need the insurance to be told.

Happy to be corrected though :lol:

I think pretty much any Mod affects insurance.

Happy to be corrected though :lol:

I think that is pretty much a spot on answer – if you’re not sure and are worried about the neon’s ask your insurance company, but I would be very surprised if the say there not classified as a modification. :unsure:

It can get even sillier than that, take alloy wheels for instance, your insurance company will class them as a modification and charge you extra for the insurance, but don’t assume that covers thief or damage to the wheels oh no! get them nicked’ and some insurance companies will say sorry we don’t cover them just the cost of replacement standard wheel (if you’re lucky). :(

Anything that is non standard fit (as per the car's spec) is normally deemed a modification, making the car more attractive runs the risk of some idiot pinching it.

My old insurance company had a policy of classsing "everything" non standard as a mod and made a charge, my new company on the other hand does'nt charge but does still need to be informed and providing the work is carried out by a professional their happy and I won't be charged any more.

e.g if i wanted to replace my steel wheels with alloys, providing i got them fitted by a tyre company and let them know I would'nt be charged, which to me makes sense.

As well as the "more desirable" aspect i do think there is an element of safety/increased risk involved, e.g replacing 15inch rims with 18inch alloys or lowering the springs etc is going to effect the car's original handling.

Cheers for the heads up guys.

So im guessing this means my cd player is a mod as well then?

If so i guess ive got invalid insurance , hurry for me since that should mean i can mod all i like

Yep everyone is right, I work for privilege insurance on sales and anything that is not standard including opt extras are classed as a mod :D

So just to confirm before I add all sorts to the car, since we havent declared the cd player the insurance is invalid meaning if i crash they wont cover me?

Or will they just make it harder for them to pay up?

What you have to remember, is the insurance company are 100% happy to take your money.

BUT

They also employ people to prevent them having to pay out.

SO

You are driving along the road and god prevent, but you get hit by another driver. Your car ends up on its side/roof in the ditch etc etc.

Car gets recovered, and the insurance asseser comes around and starts looking at your car. He/she then notices that there are some undercar neons/door handle neons etc etc on the car.

He/she then informs your insurance company, to which 2 things can then happen.....

1/ You get a phone call/letter saying.... "We regret to inform you but due to the undeclared modifications we are unable to pay out the £6500 for your 2002 Ford Fiesta LX"

OR

2/ You get a phone call/letter saying..... "We are pleased to enclose a cheque for £6500 to cover your loss of a 2002 Ford Fiesta LX WITH declared modifications."

I know which call/letter i would rather have.

I tried to declare a k&n air filter but they say no modifications til im 21, so i took it out and forgot to ask about neons (since its not performance affecting)

But the cd player isn't declared either since we never thought it needed to be, so what I want to know is will the insurance company just let a cd player slide or not. since if they will let it slide i'll remove my neons just in case.

Ring them up and ask them about there modification policies etc All the stuff you can add that they do not need to know about and waht they do

Phoned them. Have to fill in a form they're sending for the cd player but the neons have to be removed until i've been driving for a year :(

Thanks for the help guys (:

At least you know that you are 100% legal buddy

I'm with Quinn and i can do pretty much everything over the internet. So when i thinking about whether my new alloys would affect the insurance, i went on "my profile" and went through the steps of declaring a modification.

The closest i could get to was "Wheel Alteration" and i click this, fearing i'll be charged silly money, and it was free!

ALWAYS best to be legal with the insurance. I know that with my car, i would only get around £700 for it if it were written off, but that is much better than getting £0.00 and being stung for insurance in the future :)

Best to have everything by the books.

What company are you with out of interest?

Churchill, they're proper cheap. Only £500 to put me on my mums insurance, and i get my own no claims bonus. But proper stingy on mods :(

But aren't Quinn expensive straight from the start? I think they wanted like £2000 compared to the £500 churchill.

But yea better to be safe with insurance which most people at my college don't seem to get.

That is a good deal that cannot be complained at. Watch the price drop after your first years NCB kicks in :P

I'm with Quinn and pay £1600 for the year, thats on my own policy with my whole family as named drivers (not that they are EVER allowed to drive MY car) !!

Well I share the car with my mum . Sounds lame but the way I see it:

Cheap insurance

No paying for MOT

No paying for Tax

No paying for general servicing

No paying for half the petrol

and she drives it like once a week at best the rest of the time it be mine :D

And I'm looking forward to the price drop :P Although alot of people at college are complaining their insurance has gone up, one guys £1400 quote is £3000 this year :/

Well I share the car with my mum . Sounds lame but the way I see it:

Cheap insurance

No paying for MOT

No paying for Tax

No paying for general servicing

No paying for half the petrol

and she drives it like once a week at best the rest of the time it be mine :D

And I'm looking forward to the price drop :P Although alot of people at college are complaining their insurance has gone up, one guys £1400 quote is £3000 this year :/

That is certainly one way of looking at it. Especially at today's petrol prices.

Cant believe it has went up that much, unless they have claimed or got points i would be telling the company not to renew my policy. This year my policy (Main driver, mum added) dropped from £1231 to £700.84 ;)

Cant believe it has went up that much, unless they have claimed or got points i would be telling the company not to renew my policy. This year my policy (Main driver, mum added) dropped from £1231 to £700.84 ;)

No claims just same as before. Although he drives a Saxo, so maybe insurance companies had a change of heart over them.

Another friend tried insuring a car on his own, for a rover metro (1.0L engine) two companies would insure him with the cheapest being £2000 and for a Mk5 1.25L Fiesta cheapest was £2900. He lives in a good area, has no points or criminal records yet people just don't fancy insuring him.

Insurance for a 1.6 ford focus edge 3dr 2004 04 plate:

1st year of driving (no no claims no points) £2,300 - churchill

2nd year of driving (1yrs no claims and 3 points) £990 - admiral multy-car

Modifications:

Knn cone induction kit

Cat-back system being fitted on friday + the list under my post

Both of these mods void my insurance and in truth i crap my self every time i go out in my car because i live about 12miles from cheshire police HQ not a fun game to play the modding buisness so personally mate given what ive learned over the past year and a bit dont go mad with mods if you do make it subtle and avoid engine/exhaust mods

Mike

In truth i think im going to be ringing admiral on friday when the cat-back gets fitted just for peaceof mind hope to high holy hell it dosent cost the earth :(

Edited by ford focus edge

1.6 L Ford focus with 2 performance mods...they'll love you :P

Well I've decided to play it safe, rather not write off my first car :) already scratched it and slid into the curb when it was icy so ive done enough damage

1.6 L Ford focus with 2 performance mods...they'll love you tongue.gif

Well I've decided to play it safe, rather not write off my first car smile.gif already scratched it and slid into the curb when it was icy so ive done enough damage

a modification is and i qoute anything which effects or improves the performance of the car and was not fitted as standard by the manufacturer. this list includes engine modifications such as filters electronic chips upgrades of the engine in any way which may be deemed to be performance related fitting bodykits and spoilers aftermarket headlights perfomance exhausts interior modifications including interior lighting and aftermarket head units tv screens etc in simple anything that wasnt standard on the car is a modification and lists are easily available to find what was standard to the car.

remember they will look for any excuse not to pay you so simply upgrading the Speakers is a modification from standard. the cat back and cone mean youre insurance is nil and void and if the traffic cops pull you they now have access to youre insurance so they will know if you have declared and or are allowed modifications and they will notice the cat back and cone penalty is up to 1000 fine and 3 points for each so if you have not been passed youre test for two years goodbye licence.

wont happen to you.... tell that to a friend who got pulled because he had a performance loud exhaust and had the car siezed when the checked the insurance.

the cat back adds 35 percent to the cost of the insurance if they allow you to have it at all as its classed as a performnce mod if they wouldnt let you have the cone they wont let you have the exhaust so call them before its fitted not after mate for gods sake

a modification is and i qoute anything which effects or improves the performance of the car and was not fitted as standard by the manufacturer. this list includes engine modifications such as filters electronic chips upgrades of the engine in any way which may be deemed to be performance related fitting bodykits and spoilers aftermarket headlights perfomance exhausts interior modifications including interior lighting and aftermarket head units tv screens etc in simple anything that wasnt standard on the car is a modification and lists are easily available to find what was standard to the car.

remember they will look for any excuse not to pay you so simply upgrading the speakers is a modification from standard. the cat back and cone mean youre insurance is nil and void and if the traffic cops pull you they now have access to youre insurance so they will know if you have declared and or are allowed modifications and they will notice the cat back and cone penalty is up to 1000 fine and 3 points for each so if you have not been passed youre test for two years goodbye licence.

wont happen to you.... tell that to a friend who got pulled because he had a performance loud exhaust and had the car siezed when the checked the insurance.

the cat back adds 35 percent to the cost of the insurance if they allow you to have it at all as its classed as a performnce mod if they wouldnt let you have the cone they wont let you have the exhaust so call them before its fitted not after mate for gods sake

I've rung them and they wont touch me but im crossing my fingers and hoping its not loud if it is its coming off and getting sold on i doubt it will be though its only removing one box and my focus has 3 boxes and 1 cat, after the exhaust it'l have 2 boxes and the cat.

Mike

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club