Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Squeaking when driving over 50mph

Martin-Fiesta-MK6-1.4

Mostly on motorways i am hearing a squeaking noise from the front left hand side of my car, this only happens when i drive at 50mph + in a straight line, now, i have an advisory on my MOT for my left track rod end, could this be the issue? or something else? thanks

Is it a constant squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeak or more of a repetitive squeak squeak squeak?  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Is it a constant squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeak or more of a repetitive squeak squeak squeak?  

squeak squeak, jingle jingle squeak squeak very light cluck very light clunk squeak squeak jingle very light clunk lol

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Martin-Fiesta-MK6-1.4 said:

squeak squeak, jingle jingle squeak squeak very light cluck very light clunk squeak squeak jingle very light clunk lol

Well that certainly sounds intriguing! 

A dry/worn track rod end could cause that sort of repetitive squeak.  It could also be the bottom ball joint or droplink but as the TRE was advised that's a good place to start I reckon.

• Like 1

On 10/6/2018 at 12:17 PM, TomsFocus said:

Well that certainly sounds intriguing! 

A dry/worn track rod end could cause that sort of repetitive squeak.  It could also be the bottom ball joint or droplink but as the TRE was advised that's a good place to start I reckon.

Well i replaced the TRE today and its still making the sound, although it sounds like a metal on metal grind, not constant, intermittent, as though something is loose.

Now, my clutch is on its way out, i know this for certain (its making the clutch scraping noise every so often) now, the noise im hearing (going over 50 mph) is actually pretty similar to that of my worn clutch, ***HOWEVER*** when im hearing the noise, going over 50, when i dip the clutch the noise continues ...could this all be linked to a worn clutch???

P.S. when i had a passenger today the noise was pretty much non existent

Ok, I don't think it'll be linked to the clutch if there's no difference with the pedal depressed.  Very odd that it only happens at speed though.  Out of interest, does it only happen in 5th or the same in 4th?

Did you check the other ball joints for play with a pry bar while you were doing the TRE?  Bottom ball joint in particular takes a lot of abuse and can squeak and graunch as well as knock. The extra weight of a passenger on that side could stop it moving so much.

a few years ago i had a fiesta with a constant squeek noise over 40 mph. changed a few things but noise still there then i put a new exhaust on and seen a piece of the heat shield above the exhaust had come loose and the wind under the car had been movining it up and down so obviously rubbing on the next piece of heat shield made the squeeking noise. a new nut and washer for a couple of pence sorted it. might be worth just checking it.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Ok, I don't think it'll be linked to the clutch if there's no difference with the pedal depressed.  Very odd that it only happens at speed though.  Out of interest, does it only happen in 5th or the same in 4th?

Did you check the other ball joints for play with a pry bar while you were doing the TRE?  Bottom ball joint in particular takes a lot of abuse and can squeak and graunch as well as knock. The extra weight of a passenger on that side could stop it moving so much.

Yeah only in 5th mate, but ive dipped the clutch and took it out of gear and it still makes the noise

No i dont have a pry bar lol, ive only got the basics, took me 3 hours to do my track rod haha

Im thinking either, bearing or bottom ball joint, out of interest how many hours labor should they charge for each?

The heatshield idea is probably worth checking tbh.

I'd class a pry bar as a basic tool lol. :tongue: 

Probably around an hours labour for each of those, but may take longer if things are rusty and seized given the age of the car.

7 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

The heatshield idea is probably worth checking tbh.

I'd class a pry bar as a basic tool lol. :tongue: 

Probably around an hours labour for each of those, but may take longer if things are rusty and seized given the age of the car.

well had it to the garage today and they seem to think that the brakes need 'greasing' and thats whats causing the noise, i done the brakes myself and didnt apply any grease at all, so hopefully thatll fix it, although again when i had a passenger n today it didnt make a peep but as soon as she got out it started back up again.

Might sound strange, but are you sure it’s not something to do with the passenger seat squeaking? Something rubbing underneath it?

10 hours ago, ThaiFiesta said:

Might sound strange, but are you sure it’s not something to do with the passenger seat squeaking? Something rubbing underneath it?

Well, i greased my brakes up and Still making the noise, done it with a passenger in today aswel, ive had my wheel arch off and can not see anything at all wrong on that side of the car, my bottom ball joint looks quite rusty but surely the garage would have tested that, again, only doing it at highish speed, really starting to annoy me now

Haven't you bought a pry bar yet? :tongue:

In all seriousness, if something is loose but only moving under the force of 50mph you won't see it by eye.  Best you can do is check if the rubber boot is damaged at all?  

May also be the anti roll bar bush on that side, again you'll need a lever to test  for play though.

19 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Haven't you bought a pry bar yet? :tongue:

In all seriousness, if something is loose but only moving under the force of 50mph you won't see it by eye.  Best you can do is check if the rubber boot is damaged at all?  

May also be the anti roll bar bush on that side, again you'll need a lever to test  for play though.

haha not yet, i looked at the bottom ball joint and i cant see any split in the boot, havent checked the roll bar bush though, next port of call i think

i drove it today and it didnt make a sound, then i drove it again and it did, im just gonna let it develop and take it from there, thanks for your help mate, ill let you know if and when i find out whats going on

• Like 1

Back again, here is a video with the noise it is making, this SEEMS (90% confident) to be coming from the front left hand side of the car, but any suggestions welcome

• 5 years later...

just wondering if you ever found the issue, my car is having the same problem and have done I tried everything to try and fix. 

7 hours ago, esteban_civic said:

just wondering if you ever found the issue, my car is having the same problem and have done I tried everything to try and fix. 

I know it's an old post, but if you want a guide to repair price, this may help...

carrepairpricelist.thumb.jpg.17c9b6bc4e29eb21c637dc8ecc555936.jpg

• Haha 1