Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How does this happen??

Hangman3

I recently changed the fuel filter in my 2011 Focus TDCI only to find all this sandy stuff in the bottom of the filter housing.

How does it get there?? I would have thought that even if someone had tried to sabotage it by sanding the tank, then the filter should have caught it.

WP_20180921_12_16_02_Pro.thumb.jpg.a45b2c63112b05be877cbda6dcd226a9.jpg WP_20180921_12_15_53_Pro.thumb.jpg.e7b73018c07b8f9dfea1d55319f66bba.jpg

wow. iv no idea but im going to check mine too. dont want any of that crap getting to injectors

thats just the housing corroding, nothing to do with the filter. 

• Like 1

but that could get to the fuel line and injectors tho.

13 hours ago, Hangman3 said:

I recently changed the fuel filter in my 2011 Focus TDCI only to find all this sandy stuff in the bottom of the filter housing.

How does it get there?? I would have thought that even if someone had tried to sabotage it by sanding the tank, then the filter should have caught it.

The filter has caught it, in effect. The housing is on the inlet side, so the sandy stuff will only get into the pump & injectors if it can get through the filter.

Aluminium is only likely to corrode like that if water is getting in to the system. Unfortunately many filling stations do get some water into their tanks, so it is possible to buy some water with your fuel. Water and Diesel give micro-biological growth (fungus & bacteria), that can produce acids that corrode aluminium. (Google Microbiological Induced Corrosion.)

Frequent filter changes, or at least filter drainings to remove any water (which is heavier than diesel so sits at the bottom of the housing), can reduce the problem.

If there was a defect in the filter element, or if there is any aluminium on the outlet side of the filter, then that could explain the failure of 4 injectors. It looks like that housing was not cleaned out for a long time. That is a lot of corrosion residue.

• Like 1

everyone is misundertanding the function of the aluminium bracket shown in photo. its is just a bracket to hold the metal filter assembly in place. the fuel is in the filter assy ( removed) and the fuel pipes are then attatched to the top of the filter assy. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, iantt said:

everyone is misundertanding the function of the aluminium bracket shown in photo. its is just a bracket to hold the metal filter assembly in place. the fuel is in the filter assy ( removed) and the fuel pipes are then attatched to the top of the filter assy. 

+1

I was also thinking the same as soon as I saw the picture. :huh:

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club