Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.0L 2013 Ecoboost coolant leak

deano_94

Hi,

First of all sorry if this is in the wrong section as this is my first post, a few days ago while checking under the bonnet i noticed my coolant was near enough empty, I filled it, had it’s MOT and passed then when I got the car back I noticed again that the coolant had gone down quite abit, I then noticed a leak on I believe reading from other posts is the degas pipe? I am just wondering if anyone could shed some light if this is the newer pipe or the old one, I have attached pictures of the pipe where I believe the leak is coming from, Thanks

655E7C8E-EC23-43FA-8B68-B7A54FDBF9B6.jpeg

looks like the newer one to me, I think the old type was a kind of more rigid black plastic and not traditional rubber hose type. where is it leaking? on a joint or throuhg sidewall of hose

Yeah that's the newer  type hose, but still has the plastic joiner that can crack.

6 hours ago, isetta said:

looks like the newer one to me, I think the old type was a kind of more rigid black plastic and not traditional rubber hose type. where is it leaking? on a joint or throuhg sidewall of hose

Sorry for late reply just woke been on the night shift, I have attached a picture showing where the I believe the leak is occurring,  it seemed to be leaking from underneath that piece of black threaded cable

Thanks

B4B8CE77-CCD7-4A3E-A8D8-496662929868.jpeg

Just a quick update, I have further checked and have confirmed where the leak is from the thin black pipe underneath the threaded cable has actually snapped 

8130F02F-F6C3-470B-8189-F9166BF265EF.jpeg

People actually get paid to design this stuff...  Boiling hot coolant pipe?  Yeah, we'll make that out of thin, rigid, plastic... :rolleyes:

Did you catch it in time before any over heating?  If I do get one of these I'll be swapping this rubbish out for silicone with a metal T peice I think.

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

People actually get paid to design this stuff...  Boiling hot coolant pipe?  Yeah, we'll make that out of thin, rigid, plastic... :rolleyes:

Did you catch it in time before any over heating?  If I do get one of these I'll be swapping this rubbish out for silicone with a metal T peice I think.

Thankfully I appear to have caught it before any issues, I only checked under the bonnet because of my washer fluid being low and noticed it then (stupid I know), do you have an idea where I can get one of those silicone pipes with the metal T piece from? I’d rather not put another crap one on like this again 

I replaced my old style degas hose with the newer style one some years ago and it's still fine. But I think the issue is heat build up after engine off from the turbo boiling the coolant in that area. I fitted an extra electric coolant pump and quite often it's pumping after I switch engine off. Maybe the circulation prevents the plastic from getting to hot and going brittle? That's my guess but I may be wrong. 

• Like 1

I have seen a picture before on this forum of one that split in same place as yours. At that time I thought it seemed a bit daft that ford were replacing the upper plastic hose with the rubber one but were still leaving the other narrow plastic pipe there 

• Like 1

Hey, another update the plastic pipe has completely come apart now, seemed to have found a temporary fix from a mechanic I know he has put the two plastic ends into a pipe and this has stopped the leak completely, have driven it a few miles and seems to be ok and the coolant is staying in now, still quite hestistant to drive it tbh but I need it for work unfortunately.

2732FBF5-391C-40F8-BEA4-B7EEBA1EA7C4.jpeg

15 hours ago, deano_94 said:

Thankfully I appear to have caught it before any issues, I only checked under the bonnet because of my washer fluid being low and noticed it then (stupid I know), do you have an idea where I can get one of those silicone pipes with the metal T piece from? I’d rather not put another crap one on like this again 

There isn't a kit for it that I know of, would have to measure pipes and buy the parts separately.

On 10/9/2018 at 7:32 PM, isetta said:

I have seen a picture before on this forum of one that split in same place as yours. At that time I thought it seemed a bit daft that ford were replacing the upper plastic hose with the rubber one but were still leaving the other narrow plastic pipe there 

Which explains why the "ecoboom" Facebook page is full of people who've had engine failure after the recall work was done.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi all, I know this post is over a year old but I'm looking for advice with my 14 plate 1.0 ecoboost losing coolant too.

I got it from Big Motoring World in West Malling in October with just 28k miles on clock. Got 12 month warranty too.

Around Xmas I topped up my windscreen fluid and noticed my coolant was almost empty.

When cool I got the cap off to find the inner part of the cap had snapped off! AA attended and got it out for me so i got a bus to the local ford garage and got a new cap. I topped up the tank with antifreeze coolant to MAX and checked again after a few days and it was almost empty again.

Called Big Motoring World service desk who said they can't even look at it until after new year and don't have any courtesy cars. I would also incur a diagnosis charge when they do look at it - this annoyed me to no end as the ford garage advised not to drive as it could be unsafe and overheat causing fire.

A local independent garage identified the leak as a crack in the Degas pipe (exact same place as image in previous post) so picked one up for £50ish from the local ford dealership.

Local mechanic fitted it for me in less than 10min bit still charged me minimum labour of £45 😫

All seemed to be fine until just after Xmas, the tank is low again. No sign of a leak and the new pipe is intact. 

What the hell am I supposed to do? I need to get back on to Big Motoring World when they open tomorrow but I was hoping to hear from somebody here to see if they had the same problems and got them resolved.

Sorry for the long post, thanks.

James

Its just a guess but could there of been an airlock when your mechanic fitted the new pipe ? That would account for the water level dropping after the repair, regards. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I spoke to Ford, Strood who have said they can look at it and a diagnostic will set me back £120. If they find something wrong with the engine they will replace the whole thing free of charge, including my diagnostic fee under warranty.

Having a further look myself this morning, and I'm pretty useless with cars (Google most stuff), I think there may be a slight crack under the coolant bottle. There was a little pool of fluid and after drying that and the underside of the bottle, I found the underneath was wet again within minutes. Hard to see under but I'm probably going to just fit (or get fit) a replacement bottle/tank?

Spoke to Ford to ask if I will still be charged the £120 fee if all they find is a slight crack in bottle and they said if it is something visually obviously and no labour had taken place then they will just quote me for a replacement but they may have to strip and drain parts to check for any engine damage - which would then cost the fee, of course.

I have my MOT due in 2 weeks so if I am too scared to fit the replacement myself I could probably ask the local garage to fit during the MOT?

Fingers crossed this will fix the loss of fluid, of not I'll have to go get the ford diagnostic and hope it's under warranty!

On 1/2/2020 at 1:09 PM, jamesthoward said:

I spoke to Ford, Strood who have said they can look at it and a diagnostic will set me back £120. If they find something wrong with the engine they will replace the whole thing free of charge, including my diagnostic fee under warranty.

Having a further look myself this morning, and I'm pretty useless with cars (Google most stuff), I think there may be a slight crack under the coolant bottle. There was a little pool of fluid and after drying that and the underside of the bottle, I found the underneath was wet again within minutes. Hard to see under but I'm probably going to just fit (or get fit) a replacement bottle/tank?

Spoke to Ford to ask if I will still be charged the £120 fee if all they find is a slight crack in bottle and they said if it is something visually obviously and no labour had taken place then they will just quote me for a replacement but they may have to strip and drain parts to check for any engine damage - which would then cost the fee, of course.

I have my MOT due in 2 weeks so if I am too scared to fit the replacement myself I could probably ask the local garage to fit during the MOT?

Fingers crossed this will fix the loss of fluid, of not I'll have to go get the ford diagnostic and hope it's under warranty!

The extremely high coolant temperatures the Ecoboost engines run at tends to degrade the plastic reservoir which results in microfractures in the plastic.  These are often very difficult to see but because the coolant is pressurised when the engine is running, it's possible for coolant to be forced out through these cracks.

Fitting a new coolant tank is a doddle and is simply a case of:

• Unclipping the 2 hoses to the tank
  • Connecting them up to the new tank
  • Top up the coolant and run the engine up to temp with the tank cap OFF,
  • Once up to temp, run it for another 10 mins or so and then fit the cap (this should ensure that any excess air is bled out).
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Damian, I've purchased the tank and will fit when it arrives.

After that, I'll be attempting to take the car back to the dealership under consumer rights

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/letter/letter-rejecting-a-second-hand-car-bought-from-a-dealer

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hi all, i have a similar issue with my degas hose (coolant pipe) which has got a crack in it i had noticed yesterday evening. Now my question is can i temporarily fix this with silicone tape which is used on pipes to fix leakes for the short term to get me to a FORD garage?  or is it too dangerous for engine and could result  alot worse if i did drive it now with tape on it?

1 hour ago, KIsh - Ford focus ecoboost said:

Hi all, i have a similar issue with my degas hose (coolant pipe) which has got a crack in it i had noticed yesterday evening. Now my question is can i temporarily fix this with silicone tape which is used on pipes to fix leakes for the short term to get me to a FORD garage?  or is it too dangerous for engine and could result  alot worse if i did drive it now with tape on it?

The tape will be fine as long as it holds, you'd have to be prepared to stop immediately if the tape failed and the temp gauge shot up though.  If you're not far from the dealer and only on 30mph roads I'd risk it, if it's a long 70mph drive I wouldn't.

• Like 1

The tape will only hold until the engine warms up and the cooling system builds up pressure. The heat and pressure will cause the tape to come loose. The 1.0 ECOboost warms up pretty quick because of the multi stage cooling system. 

If the tape fails and the coolant leaks away the engine will overheat without a warning. The temperature sensor is located in the thermostat housing and measures the temperature of the coolant. If the coolant leaks away the temperature sensor measures air (bubbles) instead of coolant. Air does not transmit the temperature very well so the temperature sensor will not detect overheating. The MK3  1.0 ECOboost does not have a cylinder head temperature sensor. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, KIsh - Ford focus ecoboost said:

Get a quote or two to have the car towed to the garage.  It might not be too expensive and will definitely mean your engine won't blow up!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

The tape will be fine as long as it holds, you'd have to be prepared to stop immediately if the tape failed and the temp gauge shot up though.  If you're not far from the dealer and only on 30mph roads I'd risk it, if it's a long 70mph drive I wouldn't.

Cheers for this sound advice mate, i was planning on travelling with the tape for at least 30 miles to the flagship ford branch and would be hitting 50 miles easily along the journey 

1 hour ago, JW1982 said:

The tape will only hold until the engine warms up and the cooling system builds up pressure. The heat and pressure will cause the tape to come loose. The 1.0 ECOboost warms up pretty quick because of the multi stage cooling system. 

If the tape fails and the coolant leaks away the engine will overheat without a warning. The temperature sensor is located in the thermostat housing and measures the temperature of the coolant. If the coolant leaks away the temperature sensor measures air (bubbles) instead of coolant. Air does not transmit the temperature very well so the temperature sensor will not detect overheating. The MK3  1.0 ECOboost does not have a cylinder head temperature sensor. 

Cheers fella, will take this on board and not at all, i thought housing it with tape for a 30 mile drive might be okay but as you say if it blows, its game over! 

5 minutes ago, nitten_traveller said:

Get a quote or two to have the car towed to the garage.  It might not be too expensive and will definitely mean your engine won't blow up!

cheers dude, i will look into this for certain

1 minute ago, KIsh - Ford focus ecoboost said:

cheers dude, i will look into this for certain

It's why the recovery companies exist - sometimes it's worth spending the extra £.  Hope you get a good outcome!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club