Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Removing Aux Belt Focus mk3 2.0 tdci

DickP

Hi

Does anyone have info on removing the aux belt on the focus mk3 2.0 tdci?

Which way does the tensioner move to release the belt?

I have what I think is a failing alternator bearing as there is an engine speed whine. Or of its not that then an idler issue but need to get the aux belt off to start investigating.

Thanks

iirc you need to push it up from underneath in a clockwise rotation as your looking towards it.   Not the easiest if memory serves me well, a second pair of hands would make life a lot easier getting it back on, but its totally doable on your own.  the problem for me was there is very little room so coming from above wasn't an option but then my car was difference so it might be easier on yours

You can do it from on top, there's a rectangle on top of the tensioner that you can get a spanner on, then pull it towards you.  Be very careful of slipping though, I used a socket to avoid the possibility of slipping. Pictures are a 1.6 TDCi but it's the same setup on the 2.0, just a bit less space.

IMG_20171006_100829399.thumb.jpg.5dcd4b21847c789832c164c9459c25b1.jpg

IMG_20171006_100916828.thumb.jpg.428e0701fdc9a7c02c5ad1567fbebbf5.jpg

that wasn't on mine... 

mine looked more like this.....

s-l1000.jpg

Put a spanner on the tensioner bolt head at approx 140 degrees and turn clockwise. There are holes that line up so a 4mm Dowl can be inserted and then take spanner off while removing belt

• Like 2

Hi

That's great, thanks.

Whilst on the subject, should I need to replace either the tensioner or alternator, what is involved for either in removing and refitting?

Thanks!

Tensioner is easy enough to get off, just a bolt holding it on, idler is a nut from what I remember. The alternator is going to be a bit more tricky. I've not done one on a mk3 focus but does a few on Kuga. The fuel filter and housing needs to come off  , and probably other bits. Think I left the fuel pipes on the filter and lifted the lot up 

Hi

I have found this topic on Kuga owners which looks very useful.

https://www.kugaownersclub.co.uk/forum/18-mk1-how/6634-alternator-removal-lots-pictures.html#/topics/6634?page=2

It doesn't look that bad to do. No bodywork to come off unlike my fun car!

Thanks,

Hi

I have looked on the ECP website and two alternators are shown. One with threaded bush and one without.

Any idea which mine should have being a 2011 car?

Thanks 

if there is the slightest doubt about tensioner wheel when spinning it, change it. On my previous Focus Mk1 which had similar style tensioner, the belt came off 100 miles from home (on that car the belt also drives the water pump), when investiagting at side of M1 I found that the tensioner wheel had melted away. It seems what happened was the tensioner bearing siezed, the friction from the belt being dragged around the stationery plastic wheel caused the heat that melted the wheel.  It had been making a slight noise for a few weeks before but I had not been able to tell quite where the noise was coming from, it did not sound too serious and I had not tried taking the belt off to investigate fully.  I know better in future

Hi

To give an update I purchased both types of alternator on the basis of being able to return the one which does not match.

However on trying to remove the filter housing I have discovered it does not resemble that of the Kuga. It is an aluminium cast item and I cannot figure out how to remove safely.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Anyone able to help with info on removing the alternator?

Thanks

im sorry, i completley forgot. will pm you in a minute

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club