Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New owner questions

TimST2

I've had my 2016 ST-2 for a couple of weeks now. I previously owned a 2012 Zetec so I'm familiar with most things but there are a few differences specific to the Mk7.5 and the ST...

1) Both rear hubs have surface rust on them (the ST has disc brakes all-round so the rear hubs are different to my previous Fiesta). It that normal?

2) When the car is idling with the air con switched on you can hear a whirring noise that comes and goes. I assume that's the compressor running and the compressor clutch engaging and disengaging. At anything above about 20mph road/engine noise drowns it out. On my previous Fiesta the engine cooling fan ran constantly when the air con was on (so the noise was quite different) but that doesn't seem to be the case on this new car. Again, normal?

Rust on hubs is normal on most cars due to steel used (not alloy) - i usually paint them with Hammerite smooth if they get bad

Yeah I suspect both are quite normal but it would be good to hear other Fiesta owners experiences. With the hub rust it's wierd that it only seems to affect the rears.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

On closer inspection it seems that the rust is on the centres of the discs, not the wheel hubs, and the discs on the rear are smaller than the front so perhaps a different material too? Either way it cleans off if you rub it...

I'd still be interested to hear from other owners about the air con. Can you hear it whirring when the engine is idling?

Yeah my air con does the exact same thing, low speed and low load i notice it sometimes. My car has done it since new and is normal, louder than what the 1L used to be i had before.

• Like 1

I called in at a Ford main dealer near work today and they had one of their master techs take a look at it. He said all normal, rear brakes don't get so hot while driving so tend to rust more, and some compressors are noisier than others, especially with the ST. They're going to change the compressor under warranty anyway. [emoji106]

Yeah my 1L fiesta was much quieter, but different set up and newer engine. they all vary but you did well for them to change that under warranty!

On 10/22/2018 at 5:34 PM, johnnyshapperz said:

You did well for them to change that under warranty!

Yes I was a bit surprised too!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

In case anyone is in the same boat, I can confirm that the new compressor is quieter.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Non coated brake discs are prone to rusting over time. When I change mine I will be using coated discs from either ATE or Textar.

http://www.ate-brakes.com/products/disc-brakes/original-ate-brake-discs/coated-brake-discs/

https://textar.com/brake-discs/

• Like 1