Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cam belt

Kowsmou

This has probably been asked 1000 times (sorry).. I have just bought a 2010, 1.6 zetec with 68k on the clock. The ford guy told me the cam belt is done at 100k or 10 years. 

Is that correct? 

yes   but always safer to do before …..   then u get 5 years motoring without worrying

another good reason....  you never know if a modern car has been clocked... if its done 150k and you smugly plan to wait another 32k and its snaps the impending 5 k bill won't make u smile

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Botus said:

another good reason....  you never know if a modern car has been clocked... if its done 150k and you smugly plan to wait another 32k and its snaps the impending 5 k bill won't make u smile

The mileage checks out and it's from a ford main dealer with 12 month warranty, I think I'll get it done just before warranty runs out!

2 hours ago, Botus said:

Modern cars are incredibly hard to clock backwards compared to mechanical odometers. Those you could basically disassemble the cluster and physically move the wheel backwards. Modern ones often require de-soldering chips and programming them on a PC using logic boards.

On the flip side diagnostic equipment could wind the clock forward (If you replaced the cluster). They don't let you wind it back though obviously.

As for clocking, luckily you can check mot history for vehicles and have  good idea if clocking may have taken place or not. 

As for cambelt intervals , the 1.6 petrol is 100k or 8 years, 1.6 diesel is 125k or 10 years. So if your car is petrol it should be due now. 

PM me your reg number and I could check for certain for you, there are a few other intervals depending on car build dates. 

Well, that was a good result, getting the cambelt done before you take ownership. 

56 minutes ago, iantt said:

Well, that was a good result, getting the cambelt done before you take ownership. 

yes, thank you for your help!

19 hours ago, Luke4efc said:

Modern cars are incredibly hard to clock backwards compared to mechanical odometers. Those you could basically disassemble the cluster and physically move the wheel backwards. Modern ones often require de-soldering chips and programming them on a PC using logic boards.

On the flip side diagnostic equipment could wind the clock forward (If you replaced the cluster). They don't let you wind it back though obviously.

I think you mean incredibly easy with the right kit... a laptop, diagnostic port and 2 minutes make it read anything you like

current legislation means u get 3 years to clock it and it they get their way 4 years and you can always do 10k every year and no one will know

8 minutes ago, Botus said:

I think you mean incredibly easy with the right kit... a laptop, diagnostic port and 2 minutes make it read anything you like

Ok then maybe I should've said more expensive. A £4000 plug in scanner should do it compared to free with a mechanical one... Either that or you learn where the chip is and desolder it and reprogram the hex values. I'm pretty sure even Ford's own IDS can't even turn the mileage back.

No need for expensive diagnostic equipment to lower the mileage.

A generic €10,- ELM327 interface, freely available software and some basic additional programming skills is basically enough to lower the mileage of the Focus MK3/MK3.5 instrument cluster. The MK2/MK2.5 instrument clusters are even easier.

On 10/16/2018 at 6:30 PM, JW1982 said:

No need for expensive diagnostic equipment to lower the mileage.

A generic €10,- ELM327 interface, freely available software and some basic additional programming skills is basically enough to lower the mileage of the Focus MK3/MK3.5 instrument cluster. The MK2/MK2.5 instrument clusters are even easier.

I'm intrigued, I know you can go up via elmconfig (+maybe forscan?). Is it just validation in that software that stops it going down? 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club