Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thinking of getting a mk7 - few questions

m1tch

Hi all,

I currently have a Mk6 1.4 TDCi which is still running well after 155k miles or so, I have had it for a few years and am looking to change cars next year for something slightly more comfortable (saying that I just drove 4 hours after work on Friday to Bath for the weekend). Looking at the mk7 as it looks like its the sort of thing I am after though - I work around 22 miles from home on a combination of b roads and a short amount on the motorway. The main issue I have is that I will be switching back to petrol after having many diesel powered cars - I do have a weekend car so looking for my next car to be good on economy and be practical in terms of space.

My 1.4 TDCi is only averaging low 60s MPG combined for my daily commute, edges closer to 70mpg on a longer run though (but no where near the 80mpg my Clio 1.5 DCi was getting). I am going to have to switch to petrol owing to the fact diesels are being phased out even though they are more thermally  efficient, are cleaner (with the right filters) and use less fuel than petrol engines.

Anyway, looking at the mk7, will probably go with an pre facelift earlier model owing to the cost - looking to spend around £3k.

My main question is on which engine I should aim for, I am guessing I should go with the 1.25 which looks like I am able to get one for around £2k which is good for the budget! Looks like the Ecoboost engines start from around £3.5k which I guess I could stretch to as I do like the styling of the facelift model.

Main thing I need to work out is if its worth paying the extra to go from the 1.25 Zetec (listed as doing up to 60mpg) or the 1.0 Ecoboost (listed as doing mid 70s) - I am aware that the Ecoboost can use a lot of fuel but anything with a turbo driven hard will. 

With all of the issues with the Ecoboost engines at the moment is it worth me simply sticking with the earlier 1.25 pre facelift or should I look to get the facelift model with the Ecoboost - although looking at the cost of the car etc I would be spending twice as much on a car that does only 25% more in terms of fuel economy.

Thanks in advance!

It partly depends how much you can tolerate the lower performance of the 1.25 petrol.  I have mk7.5 1.5tdci, I did have a mk6 1.6tdci and my sister has a mk6 1.4tdci which I have driven.

I think the 1.25 petrol will feel disappointing compared to your 1.4tdci.  I know the bhp is higher but the torque is lower and I reckon you will feel the difference. Feels weak on inclines.

But if my priority was simple dependable motoring I would chose 1.25 instead of 1litre ecoboost.

But it would take a lot to prise me away from diesel for the torque with fuel economy. But if I ever get DPF problems it might change my mind.

Go and have a drive in a 1.25, after your diesel you might hate it (it will be quieter and more comfortable but you may hate the sluggishness)

I part-exchanged my 2012 1.25 Zetec for an ST-2 two weeks ago after 4 years of ownership so have some experience with them.

In my experience, real-world fuel economy was between 42 and 46 mpg commuting. It's a good car but low-powered. As already said, expect to need to change down a gear or two when going up hill!

Not sure what age you're looking at but mine was worth about £5k with 37,000 miles on it when I sold it.

Both the 1.25 and the EcoBoost 1.0 (100 or 125) will get about between 40-45 mpg. 

My partner has a 1.25 and I have a Ecoboost 125, and both do a mix of driving. 

I have a 1.6 pre facelift petrol which on paper sounds a lot less economical than the 1.25 but in terms of real life driving, it has decent oomph and returns a steady 40mpg’s
Also the 1.6 won’t have to work as hard as the 1.25 you will probably find yourself revving the 1.25 a lot harder than the 1.6 to get similar performance

Thanks for the help on this guys, I do agree with the face that smaller engines do have to work harder to get up to speed and can use more fuel than a larger engine but when on cruise/light load the larger engine might use more fuel.

Its frustrating for me coming from having a diesel (which I will keep running for as long as possible) as there are no petrol alternatives that offer the same fuel economy and low down torque. I did choose the 1.4 TDCi as it has no DPF to worry about and its not the 1.6 TDCi which has a HUGE number of issues (although is a very good engine when it works).

I will look at a few options, 40mpg isn't really any good as I would be using a 1/3 more fuel than the current car and will also cost more in tax I would recon.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club