Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nexen Tyre Fitters?

TomsFocus

Anyone know which chain stores fit Nexen tyres?  Basically, I've got a nearly new (6mm) tyre with an irreparable slowish puncture in it and MOT is looming. :sad:  Can't say I'm a fan of these tyres but can't afford/justify a pair as I won't be keeping the car much longer and the other side has the same amount of tread so makes sense to just replace this one like for like.  

eBay have 10% off today, so I can get the tyre for just over £40 on there, but will need to pay ~£15 fitting nowadays and finding somewhere to fit tyres that they haven't supplied is hassle now...  

Just wondering if it'll be easier/cheaper to have a chain fit one but the usual's like F1 and Kwik Fit don't seem to do them.  Specifically looking for a 205/55/16 Nexen N Blue HD Plus...  

Alternatively, if anyone is in the Ipswich/Woodbridge area with their own tyre machine, please do let me know lol!

Try black circle for a fitted price it will show you your nearest fitter

25 minutes ago, pragmatix said:

Try black circle for a fitted price it will show you your nearest fitter

I also used BlackCircles earlier this year for supply and fit of 2 Nokian Weatherproof tyres.  At the time it was less than £10 (in total) more expensive to include fitting than some places were offering on just supplying the tyres.

Blackcircles don't do Nexen either.  Someone must though, I keep seeing them on loads of cars lately!

I also got majorly distracted last night and missed the eBay offer lol. 🙄

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: None of the chains seem to offer them which is weird, but eBay have 15% off tyres today so I'm just going to order it (£38.76 after discount) and hope I can find someone to fit it for under a tenner. 

5 hours ago, stef123 said:

I'll fit them for you if you don't mind travelling :lol: 

Thanks for the offer Stef...it's only £100 in fuel there and back too... :laugh:

3 hours ago, TimST2 said:

Ah, that might explain why I see so many, 2 Ford dealers within a 5 mile radius here!  Prices don't look horrific either.

I have a Golf currently though, not sure they'd be too pleased with that in the workshop... :unsure: :lol:

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I have a Golf currently though, not sure they'd be too pleased with that in the workshop... :unsure: :lol:

Ah - I hadn't spotted that! Well they are at least in the right size 😄

Yeah...what's extremely annoying is that I have a full set of nearly new branded 205/55/16s in storage...but can't use them on the Golf as they're mounted on Mk2 Focus alloys... :rolleyes:

:laugh:

Tyre arrived today...went looking for somewhere to swap it, had the wheel off the car so easy 10 minute job...

First place quoted £21...not including tyre disposal! 😮

Another 3 quoted £13-£16.

Eventually got it done for £10 cash but that didn't include disposal either.

Everythings so expensive these days. :sad:

crazy prices. I had a new tyre recently on my fiesta (not a well known brand). £33  for the tyre including fitting / balance / disposal.  175/65/14 size.  Makes you wonder how much was for the tyre itself.

most places are not interested in customer supplied parts is the bottom line. Even the work I do, rarely do I touch customer supplied parts, especially when it's eurocarparts supplied 😒

• Like 1

Makes you wonder how much was for the tyre itself.

I'd be very wary of fitting such cheap tyres.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, isetta said:

crazy prices. I had a new tyre recently on my fiesta (not a well known brand). £33  for the tyre including fitting / balance / disposal.  175/65/14 size.  Makes you wonder how much was for the tyre itself.

Unless it's gone up recently, disposal is about £3, I'd expect ~£10 for fitting so £20 for the tyre which does seem a bit cheap!  If it was a large chain though, they can at least buy in huge quantities to get the price down.  You could check the price of the tyre online to find the RRP.

16 hours ago, stef123 said:

most places are not interested in customer supplied parts is the bottom line. Even the work I do, rarely do I touch customer supplied parts, especially when it's eurocarparts supplied 😒

The odd thing is, none of the places declined or even hesitated as it was a brand new tyre.  The place that quoted £21 was even happy to fit a part worn! :unsure:  

Anyway, it's done now, will stick to buying tyres from major chains online in future!  Next task is finding an MOT centre that doesn't charge the full £55, understands the regs, doesn't give 50 silly advisories and is within walking distance just in case there are any 'dangerous' faults that I've missed... :rolleyes:  I hate garages... :laugh: 

• Like 1

Even your tyre disposal charge is expensive :lol: £1.50 up here. Even then, I can take my own tyres to the council tip for free.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, stef123 said:

Even your tyre disposal charge is expensive :lol: £1.50 up here. Even then, I can take my own tyres to the council tip for free.

You're lucky there, our council tips haven't taken tyres for 10+ years!  This is from our local council waste site for tyres... 

Reuse: Old tyres can be turned into planters. Old inner tubes can be cut into strips to be re-used as wheel rim tape.

Recycle: Old vehicle tyres will be accepted by the fitting garage whenever they fit a new tyre to the vehicle (though a disposal charge may be added to your bill for this). Another option is to contact your local scrap/ car dismantling yard because some will accept tyres at a charge. Tyres cannot be disposed of at any Suffolk Household Waste Recycling Centres. 

Looks like I'll have to make a planter...that'll work well in my upstairs flat... :laugh: 

On a serious note though, the high waste charges round here and complete refusal to accept some items at dumps is partly why people fly tip.  It costs the councils millions of pounds a year to clear up fly tips...surely it'd be much cheaper to allow people to dispose of stuff at the proper tips! :rolleyes: 

• Haha 2

If you can't find a reasonably priced tyre fitter Tom, try finding someone with an adaptor to do centre-less Peugeot wheels! No where in Fife, Dundee, Perth or Edinburgh could help me out today! So i improvised :lol:  4 tyres fitted and balanced lol. 

centre-less wheel.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stef123 said:

Its the very reason fly tipping is on the rise

It didn't take a rocket scientist to work out that as soon as they started charging for landfill people would start dumping stuff in the countryside.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

My local tyre place (literally round the corner from me) just put up a massive Nexen tyres poster on their workshop window, shows the whole tyre range.

I've never bought a tyre from them( workshop looks scruffy as you drive past), though they repaired a puncture for me for £10. That's when they told me that they have a special tyre machine for alloy wheels...hmmm interesting. Other places seem to use the traditional tyre machines and they usually mark the inside of my alloys, which I don't like. Anyway, they charged me £25 (cash, normally £17.50 for alloys) to fit two Continentel winter tyres after I bought them with the discount on eBay the time before you OP.

I think tyre disposal is about £3 here in the South West. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stef123 said:

If you can't find a reasonably priced tyre fitter Tom, try finding someone with an adaptor to do centre-less Peugeot wheels! No where in Fife, Dundee, Perth or Edinburgh could help me out today! So i improvised :lol:  4 tyres fitted and balanced lol. 

centre-less wheel.jpg

Genius haha!  Centreless alloys were a pain to get balanced here even 10 years ago...pretty much impossible now!! :laugh:

One of my Peugeot mates took a hole saw to the centre of his in the end... :lol:

The only place that used to balance them locally was ATS...the guy only charged a fiver a wheel to fit, balance and dispose, cash of course.  How times change eh!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Frembrit said:

My local tyre place (literally round the corner from me) just put up a massive Nexen tyres poster on their workshop window, shows the whole tyre range.

I've never bought a tyre from them( workshop looks scruffy as you drive past), though they repaired a puncture for me for £10. That's when they told me that they have a special tyre machine for alloy wheels...hmmm interesting. Other places seem to use the traditional tyre machines and they usually mark the inside of my alloys, which I don't like. Anyway, they charged me £25 (cash, normally £17.50 for alloys) to fit two Continentel winter tyres after I bought them with the discount on eBay the time before you OP.

I think tyre disposal is about £3 here in the South West. 

If they are marking your alloys, that’s most likely because they are using the clamps designed for steel wheels that push outwards.

when doing an alloy wheel it needs to clamp inwards so it doesn’t leave a mark. The plastic jaw covers also help reduce any risk of a mark being left. 

Unless it’s an ancient machine, any half decent machine will clamp for both steel and alloy wheels. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club