Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2008 Fiesta ST - Strange sound on start up (Video)

Jon_T

Hello there,

Over the past couple of days my Fiesta ST has been starting with a strange noise. I have a feeling it may be something to do with my power steering as it feels different (Heavier than usual) - Note: I had a full service 2 months ago.

I have a dashcam video which you can hear the strange sound in. I am getting it looked at Monday, but thought I may get some extra thoughts.

The noise is always noticeable from cold starts. Also, the noise occurs from every cold start, or if the engine has cooled since last using it.

Video below - first 30 seconds is all you need to watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NayCNObvgoY&list=UURWvJnBJfeHE709TbRE1H_w&index=1

Let us know what you think.

Cheers,
Jon.

Take a look at the PAS fluid. I hear that it being black is not a good sign. Have you relocated the power steering fluid? It's a common problem of these to boil on the STs

Sounds like the starter motor sticking in slightly too long but sounds can be misleading.  

Heavier steering could be due to a slightly low tyre so it's worth checking pressures.  Also as Zain says these STs boil PAS fluid quickly and it's not something that would be changed during a normal service.

Thanks for the comments Tom and Zain.

Yeah I've heard the issue about the ST's boiling the fluid. I think I remember checking the steering fluid not long ago while cleaning the car and it looked fine. I've not long owned the ST (Around 2 and a half months), but nope the power steering fluid has not been relocated from what I can see.

Due to this boiling issue, do you guys know how regularly the steering fluid needs to be changed (Just for future reference).

It's being looked at tomorrow so hopefully the girl is not too sick 🤢.

Cheers.

You can buy a relocation kit to prevent the fluid from boiling. Ive forgotten what website but it was about £100. 

How you finding the ST anyway? I'm thinking of getting a mk6 ST in 2 years to replace my mk6.5 zetec s 1.6 TDCi. Do you get any problems with idling? This is the only thing I'm worried about as I hear its a characteristic of the car. 

31 minutes ago, Jon_T said:

Due to this boiling issue, do you guys know how regularly the steering fluid needs to be changed (Just for future reference). 

There are too many variables for a set figure, just check it now and then and change it when it turns black.  Cheap and easy to do yourself anyway!

Thanks Tom I'll keep an eye out!

Zain - Personally I love the car, the performance is brilliant, once it's above 2500rpm it really starts to shift. The fuel economy is okay, I've managed to reach around 27-29mpg with normal urban driving, but who gets a car like this for fuel economy eh.

About the idling, personally I haven't noticed erratic idling in my time of owning it, from a cold start it idles at around 1000-1200 rpm, after around a minute or two it sits comfortably until operating temp, at which it sits around 750rpm.

The only odd thing (Which I knew before buying, plus a characteristic, like you said) was the weird idling when you put the car in neutral while the car is still moving - it's like the car keeps blipping the throttle very slightly until you stop, but I have not found it to be a problem at all. The wheel to wheel lock is pretty bad, 1 full rotation and a quarter, which makes parking interesting but you get use to it pretty quick.

I'd recommend the Mk6 ST's personally, they're a great little pocket rocket with a solid engine. 

Shout if you want to know anymore about the ST.

• Like 1

Thanks Jon 👍. That clears things up about the idling for me. Do the revs drop below idling revs when your moving slowly and press the clutch in? I've seen people on YouTube record this and one person called leelockwood says sometimes it sounds like the engine will cut out and the headlights dim. 

This was the relocation kit I saw. Might be worth doing it. Like Tom said also to check the starter motor. My dad's friends car actually would make that same / similar noise when he'd start his mk4 golf up and my dad knows it's the starter motor. 

https://www.sico-developments.co.uk/products/power-steering-relocation-kit

Yeah I know leelockwood from YouTube and I have heard of that quirk on these ST's. From the time I've had it I have not noticed anything like that to be honest, and I drive it virtually everyday. It's a 2008 ST, so whether that makes much of a difference 🤔, plus whether the ECU is already up to date from the previous owner is another factor.

Thanks for relocation kit link, is this difficult to do?

On 10/22/2018 at 7:27 PM, Jon_T said:

Yeah I know leelockwood from YouTube and I have heard of that quirk on these ST's. From the time I've had it I have not noticed anything like that to be honest, and I drive it virtually everyday. It's a 2008 ST, so whether that makes much of a difference 🤔, plus whether the ECU is already up to date from the previous owner is another factor.

Thanks for relocation kit link, is this difficult to do?

Hmm I think I might just need to test drive a few. Lee's one had been mapped etc so it could of been that which might of caused it. I'm planning on getting it in 2 years time as a year after a lot of old diesel cars will get charged when driving around in London. 

I'm honestly not sure about fitting the kit. Doesn't look hard by the looks of it as you got a hose and tank to fit on but don't take my word for it. I'd most likely get it if I get an ST to prevent the pump from going. 

I'll do some searching around about fitting the relocation kit, though I may just get the garage to do it if it's a bit fiddly.

Saying about preventing the pump from going. The garage has gotten back to me about the sound my car was making, and it was in fact the power steering pump going, so I will consider the relocation kit and just check the steering fluid regularly for the time being.

Thanks for the help 👌👊🚗

• Like 1