Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2012 Focus Engine Malfunction - Service Now

Colston

Hey all!

Had my 2012 Focus (petrol 1.0 ecoboost) serviced recently and the day after the service I had the Engine Malfunction Light - service Now message come up on the dashboard. Took it back to the garage and they checked for codes and couldn't find anything, told me to keep an eye on it. Now the message comes up every week or so but the message goes away when I switch off the engine. I've bought my own code reader and checked for codes when the malfunction message is on screen and still nothing and no other lights on the dashboard. The error only seems to happen when I'm driving slowly 20-30mph and normally when coasting into a junction. Pretty sure the engine goes into limp mode for a minute or so when the error appears but I don't usually notice as the problem never happens when I need significant power from the engine. The only other symptom is that the Auto Start Stop "off" light gets stuck on but this goes off after a couple of engine restarts.

I've seen this problem posted on a few forums before, but the causes seem to change drastically from DPF issues, filters or turbo problems. As the problem started straight after a service I'm sure it's something that was replaced or maybe knocked during the service. I tried replacing the battery as it was 6 years old but I still get the message. I've also checked the air filter and looked for any loose connections around the engine and fuse box.

Before I start digging deeper and checking everything that was replaced during the service, does anyone have any ideas of what could be causing the problem? I had new spark plugs installed in this service, could one be slightly faulty?

Many thanks!

43 minutes ago, Colston said:

Hey all!

Had my 2012 Focus (petrol 1.0 ecoboost) serviced recently and the day after the service I had the Engine Malfunction Light - Service Now message come up on the dashboard. Took it back to the garage and they checked for codes and couldn't find anything, told me to keep an eye on it. Now the message comes up every week or so but the message goes away when I switch off the engine. I've bought my own code reader and checked for codes when the malfunction message is on screen and still nothing and no other lights on the dashboard. The error only seems to happen when I'm driving slowly 20-30mph and normally when coasting into a junction. Pretty sure the engine goes into limp mode for a minute or so when the error appears but I don't usually notice as the problem never happens when I need significant power from the engine. The only other symptom is that the Auto Start Stop "off" light gets stuck on but this goes off after a couple of engine restarts.

I've seen this problem posted on a few forums before, but the causes seem to change drastically from DPF issues, filters or turbo problems. As the problem started straight after a service I'm sure it's something that was replaced or maybe knocked during the service. I tried replacing the battery as it was 6 years old but I still get the message. I've also checked the air filter and looked for any loose connections around the engine and fuse box.

Before I start digging deeper and checking everything that was replaced during the service, does anyone have any ideas of what could be causing the problem? I had new spark plugs installed in this service, could one be slightly faulty?

Many thanks!

Hi there I'm having the exact same issue you are describing but mine is a 1.6 duratorque diesel . Mine is going into limp mode the engine malfunction message on the dash ..switch of engine and all is ok for a day or a week or a month .. lost for ideas.. gonna book a major service and hope it helps or they find something 

Edited by Vern1970

vern1970, have you had a code reader on it?  when my previous 1.6tdci was playing up (going into limp mode on left hand bends - very odd) the code reader showed a code for low fuel pressure, I replaced fuel filter and it was fine after that. 

vern1970, Sorry you're having the same issue. Although it's probably nothing serious, it is a bit irritating having the error pop up every now and again. As isetta recommended, worth checking for codes, you can get a bluetooth code reader that works with your phone off amazon for ~£10 or you can get your focus into "test" mode and check for codes on the trip computer. Just hold down the trip computer "OK" button on your steering wheel and switch on the ignition, after a couple of seconds the menu will pop up and you can scroll down to codes. Mine has never flagged up any codes but it could help you out.

If that doesn't help you locate the issue and you do get your car serviced, please let me know whether the garage finds anything.

16 hours ago, Vern1970 said:

Hi there I'm having the exact same issue you are describing but mine is a 1.6 duratorque diesel . Mine is going into limp mode the engine malfunction message on the dash ..switch of engine and all is ok for a day or a week or a month .. lost for ideas.. gonna book a major service and hope it helps or they find something 

Had the same issue when I had a Focus turned out it needed a new fuel filter so make sure they replace the fuel filter when you have it done.

As for the petrol I have no ideas

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Colston said:

vern1970, Sorry you're having the same issue. Although it's probably nothing serious, it is a bit irritating having the error pop up every now and again. As isetta recommended, worth checking for codes, you can get a bluetooth code reader that works with your phone off amazon for ~£10 or you can get your focus into "test" mode and check for codes on the trip computer. Just hold down the trip computer "OK" button on your steering wheel and switch on the ignition, after a couple of seconds the menu will pop up and you can scroll down to codes. Mine has never flagged up any codes but it could help you out.

If that doesn't help you locate the issue and you do get your car serviced, please let me know whether the garage finds anything.

Are you using Forscan or just a generic OBD app?  The dash test mode doesn't show engine fault codes, only codes relating to the dash cluster.

Did you reset the battery monitoring after replacing the battery?

2 hours ago, Ryan_Tango said:

Had the same issue when I had a Focus turned out it needed a new fuel filter so make sure they replace the fuel filter when you have it done.

As for the petrol I have no ideas

Its been booked in for This Friday .. thanks for the advice and yes the fuel filter will be changed 

3 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Are you using Forscan or just a generic OBD app?  The dash test mode doesn't show engine fault codes, only codes relating to the dash cluster.

Did you reset the battery monitoring after replacing the battery?

Hi, I'm using Torque Pro, I've had a go at using Forscan Lite but I couldn't get my adapter to connect properly, it's only a cheap bluetooth ELM 327 off amazon. Can you recommend a USB adapter that will work with Forscan on PC, maybe the standard apps aren't bringing up all the error codes?

4 hours ago, Colston said:

Hi, I'm using Torque Pro, I've had a go at using Forscan Lite but I couldn't get my adapter to connect properly, it's only a cheap bluetooth ELM 327 off amazon. Can you recommend a USB adapter that will work with Forscan on PC, maybe the standard apps aren't bringing up all the error codes?

I bought my cable over 4 years ago on eBay so can't provide a link to that exact one I'm afraid.

A lot of people on here swear by the tunnelrat one though.

Yeah, generic obd doesn't pick up much, FORScan is far better for Ford's. 

Quick update, I had the error come up again when I was nearby my local Ford garage so took the car in with the error still on the dashboard and left the engine running. This time they were able to pick up codes p0039, p006a and p0692 and say the problem is the turbo 😞 They recommend to replace the MAP sensor and Vac pipe to fix the problem at £710 for parts and labour. I'm going to shop around a bit and see if one of the local garages can do it cheaper and see if there's anything else to try first. Does anyone have any suggestions, could I try cleaning the MAP sensor?

28 minutes ago, Colston said:

Quick update, I had the error come up again when I was nearby my local Ford garage so took the car in with the error still on the dashboard and left the engine running. This time they were able to pick up codes p0039, p006a and p0692 and say the problem is the turbo 😞 They recommend to replace the MAP sensor and Vac pipe to fix the problem at £710 for parts and labour. I'm going to shop around a bit and see if one of the local garages can do it cheaper and see if there's anything else to try first. Does anyone have any suggestions, could I try cleaning the MAP sensor?

£710 for a MAP sensor? 😮 

The sensor itself costs £40.  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-FIESTA-MK6-FOCUS-MK3-1-0-1-6-2-0-AIR-INTAKE-TURBO-BOOST-PRESSURE-MAP-SENSOR/252073732756?epid=2235091329&hash=item3ab0c3ea94:g:~xUAAOSw~y9ZA0eV

Are you sure they're not wanting to replace the turbo for that price?

17 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

£710 for a MAP sensor? 😮 

The sensor itself costs £40.  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-FIESTA-MK6-FOCUS-MK3-1-0-1-6-2-0-AIR-INTAKE-TURBO-BOOST-PRESSURE-MAP-SENSOR/252073732756?epid=2235091329&hash=item3ab0c3ea94:g:~xUAAOSw~y9ZA0eV

Are you sure they're not wanting to replace the turbo for that price?

The quote they've given me is to replace two components: F1767049 N/STK HOSE and F1892131 Valve Assy, not sure exactly what those parts are. My initial thought was they are trying to replace larger components which have the sensor embedded in them rather than just swap the sensor itself. I'm going to call another garage and quote the fault code and see what they recommend.

Ok, those parts are nothing to do with the MAP sensor.

One is the turbo bypass/recirc valve. 

The other is several vacuum pipes on a metal bracket that are part of the turbo control system.

That price still seems very high though!

Their quote states "recommend to replace map sensor and vac pipe" then lists those two items, strange. I've located the map sensor on the car so I might try cleaning it or buy a replacement and see if that helps. I think it's worth having a go for ~£40 rather than get the work done that Ford recommends, especially seeing as the replacement parts seem to have nothing to do with the error codes.

• 10 months later...
On 10/23/2018 at 5:20 PM, Colston said:

Their quote states "recommend to replace map sensor and vac pipe" then lists those two items, strange. I've located the map sensor on the car so I might try cleaning it or buy a replacement and see if that helps. I think it's worth having a go for ~£40 rather than get the work done that Ford recommends, especially seeing as the replacement parts seem to have nothing to do with the error codes.

Your problem is solved mr Colston?!? I have the same thing with my focus :(((

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/21/2018 at 5:20 PM, Colston said:

Hey all!

Had my 2012 Focus (petrol 1.0 ecoboost) serviced recently and the day after the service I had the Engine Malfunction Light - Service Now message come up on the dashboard. Took it back to the garage and they checked for codes and couldn't find anything, told me to keep an eye on it. Now the message comes up every week or so but the message goes away when I switch off the engine. I've bought my own code reader and checked for codes when the malfunction message is on screen and still nothing and no other lights on the dashboard. The error only seems to happen when I'm driving slowly 20-30mph and normally when coasting into a junction. Pretty sure the engine goes into limp mode for a minute or so when the error appears but I don't usually notice as the problem never happens when I need significant power from the engine. The only other symptom is that the Auto Start Stop "off" light gets stuck on but this goes off after a couple of engine restarts.

Many thanks!

Hi I'm stuck with the same problem, mine is a 2012 Focus Zetec S Turbo 1.6 petrol. Did you get yours solved?

I diagnosed mine and it came up with PCM Power Control Module which is the fuel rail pressure sensor bank 1. However, the turbo boosting way too much at this point but not feeling the power even at as little as 2000 rpm and it's blowing off very load I'm starting to wonder if I've split the waste valve. This all happen after a night of high speed drag and power sliding. Trust ford done a good job with this car it is oh so good on power and head starts. Torque is nice for what the engine is, just need to solve this problem ASAP. 

Did anyone get there's solve?

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/21/2018 at 6:03 PM, Vern1970 said:

Having all these same issues. Changed the fuel rail pressure sensor felt a bit better now change the Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor but still having power loss somewhere along I don't know what to do anymore. In addition to Symptoms, the turbo seems to be building up so easily but not giving the power. A lot of air noises but checked for leaks and found none. Any 1 else had this experience?

On 10/23/2018 at 11:07 AM, Colston said:

Did this work?

• 11 months later...

Hi all!

Do you have an update on this topic? I have the exact same issues and the same engine.

Thanks!

• 8 months later...

I had this problem too in my 2012 1.0 Focus. Mine was leaking coolant into the drivers footwell from a heater core pipe, after fixing it the issue has never returned. Maybe just a coincidence but worth a check.

• 4 months later...

AM ALSO HAVING SAME , MIND IIS DISPLAYING / FLASHING ENGINE MALFUNCTION service NOW. WHAT SHOULD I DO.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club