Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brake Discs

SNH

I have an 18 plate Edge Titanium whenever I stop driving I can smell a slight burning smell and all of the brake discs are really hot. Is this Normal the car has done about 5500 miles so far, do the pads need to bed in a bit more?

Pads will bed in in less than a 100 miles, sometimes a lot less if you actually 'try' to bed them in. Discs will naturally get hot under normal driving conditions, but shouldn't be getting hot to the point of you being able to smell them unless you've used them heavily. Somethings not right so it needs investigating.

Sorry I can't help more than that.

Simon, are you sure it's the brake discs? Mine has done about the same mileage as yours and after a long drive I can sometimes detect a strange smell after stopping and getting out of the car. I'd assumed it was just the exhaust getting hot.

This was discussed before on the forum (July 2017) but the conclusion appeared to be the hot exhaust does give off a strong burning smell as you've described?

See 

• Like 1

Yes as above. It’ll be the exhaust. I’ve got a Sport and it has chrome trims lined with black paint. They used to smell like burning. They don’t now but the paint inside the exhaust trims does look a little second hand these days. I’m at 17,000 miles. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club