Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bonnet won't open!

F0CUE
聽Share

Went to put in some water for the wipers and my key is not opening the latch. Does the MK2.5 have the same issue as the MK2? Recently I was doing something and had to lift the slam panel and had not opened the bonnet since then 馃槶

40 minutes ago, F0CUE said:

Went to put in some water for the wipers and my key is not opening the latch. Does the MK2.5 have the same issue as the MK2? Recently I was doing something and had to lift the slam panel and had not opened the bonnet since then 馃槶

Same issue as the mk2 unfortunately聽

Damn do you know if the screwdriver fix once you remove the rubber actually works?

10 hours ago, F0CUE said:

Damn do you know if the screwdriver fix once you remove the rubber actually works?

Some have been successful,聽

Others jack up the front of the car,聽

Remove the under tray聽

Then reach up inside with a socket wrench to undo the bolts from the receiving bracket to allow the entire latch to lift,聽

I went to ford with mine as I had lowered the ride height couldn't fit under and I don't have a garage just concrete driveway.

The screwdriver opened it but it still does it and got the washer fluid filled are these fixable or best to get repair kit?

On 10/22/2018 at 8:52 PM, F0CUE said:

What did you actually do to get it open Angus? I've heard about this fault and am dreading the day when it happens on mine ....

I had to take of the rubber boot at the far end of the cable it slides off then you need a long enough screwdriver or flat ended knife and put pressure onto the mechanism above the wire in the circle then turn the key left and right and it pops open when the mechanism catches back on. I'm going to take the latch off and see what's going on in there behind as it's all plastic.

post-14432-1242399761_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/24/2018 at 9:49 AM, F0CUE said:

I had to take of the rubber boot at the far end of the cable it slides off then you need a long enough screwdriver or flat ended knife and put pressure onto the mechanism above the wire in the circle then turn the key left and right and it pops open when the mechanism catches back on. I'm going to take the latch off and see what's going on in there behind as it's all plastic.

post-14432-1242399761_thumb.jpg

I've just realised your name is Ian and not Angus lol sorry!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Lmao thought you were just calling me Angus cos I'm Scottish 馃ぃ

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, F0CUE said:

Lmao thought you were just calling me Angus cos I'm Scottish 馃ぃ

Typical assuming the world's against you because your Scottish 馃槈

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I got the part and fitted it and it worked fine a couple of times and now it's not opening again 馃槥

17 hours ago, F0CUE said:

I got the part and fitted it and it worked fine a couple of times and now it's not opening again 馃槥

Is your grill fitted properly?

I had this issue with an aftermarket honeycomb grill, it kept pulling the lock apart as it didn't really fit properly.聽 I refitted the original one in the end and returned the other one. 聽

Yeh its original I had to pull radiator bolts and climb in there to open it today great fun it was lol

Lol, sounds fun! :laugh:

Can you see which part is actually broken?聽 If you've got the longer cross pin it must be the lock itself that's the issue?

Tbo no as had to do belts today too and that's another story so original slot is back on ATM cos at least can open with screwdriver that way.

8 hours ago, F0CUE said:

I'm really tempted with this dunno if it's legal though.聽https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/flush-lockable-bonnet-pin-set-ge66

They are 100% legal mostly saw on Japanese import drift cars with carbon fibre bonnets, but the sub frame of the focus has got holes for them,聽

Personally I favour the ones with the flap cover as saw in this video from mightycarmods聽

Yeh I like the聽Aerocatch but don't think you can lock them so anyone would get in hence the type I was looking at.

• Like 1

They are legal, but I've seen more than one set fail resulting in a bonnet hitting the windscreen at speed.聽 Wouldn't trust them myself. :unsure:

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

They are legal, but I've seen more than one set fail resulting in a bonnet hitting the windscreen at speed.聽 Wouldn't trust them myself. :unsure:

Probably why I've only saw them on drift cars because they always drive sideways 馃檭聽perhaps the reason they do aswell馃槈

• Haha 2

the original Bowden cable (the flexy bit) is made wrong... a 40 quid repair kit is available from your ford dealer聽and the bonnet opens properly

the plastic antitamper bit is a complete misnomer in my opinion,聽it won't fix anything at all and never causes the issue

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club