Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.8 Duratec MPG

KeiranGinge

Hi!

I have an 07 MK2 Focus, 1.8 Duratec and was wondering what sort of MPG people with the same spec cars were getting?

I drive 10 miles on a reasonably large A road to and from work each day and I'm only returning like 26-28 MPG.

Any tips on how to improve MPG? I serviced the car only a few months ago, it's running on good oil and doesn't have any mechanical issues!

Thanks

KG 🙂

I have a 2010 Zetec S 1.8 duratec, and I typically get around 28-30 mpg a week when I reset the computer. And that's driving really sensible, changing gear at 3000rpm, and only doing 65-70mph on dual carriageway.

The Focus is a heavy car, and so needs working a little bit regardless of the engine. The 1.8 has about 120bhp which isn't much in a car that size, so MPG will suffer. My 1.6 which has even less power (100bhp), doesn't do much better. It only gets about 31mpg although I have had it as high 39 around town recently after some maintenance. 

I can get the wife's 1.8 Zetec up to an absolute maximum of 38 MPG over a 1 hour long run (5 minutes on B roads, 10 minutes on A roads and 45 on the motorway) but that's with me really trying to boost the MPG i.e. lift and coast, 65 MPH on the motorway etc.  As stated above the Focus isn't a small/light car and the 1.8 Duratec is an older Mazda design so won't ever be very efficient by modern standards.

My 2008 2.0  Titanium manual rarely does less than 36 MPG with normal brisk (but sensible) driving - I avoid very short runs though, typical trips are A road 15 miles.  Heading straight out on a long journey from a full tank and zero'd mpg display, with good acceleration, 60-70 mph on A roads and 70-80 on motorways typically shows 38-40.  Most I've seen is 44 mpg after about an hour on A roads.  I'm surprised there would be that much difference between what are basically the same engines.

Computer on mine (2010 1.8 Duratec) tells me bang-on 40.0 MPG for my 20-mile current daily round-trip commute. 8 miles B Road,  and 2 miles each way of A Road.

I was getting about the same out of mine, I think the best I ever had was 38 mpg on a long run but I have to admit my right foot does weigh quite a bit...

On a long run (car fully loaded with holiday stuff and 3 people) I calculate the mpg (not off display), and can get 40-42mpg.

Day to day usage can get me (according to display) 37-38mpg, and this is normally a 42 miles round trip to work,  mainly on an 'A' road with a little town driving too.  It also includes a few 2-4 mile trips  (and shorter trips) throughout the week. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club