Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.6 vvti mk2.5 misfire P0301-EO

Botus

got a miss fire today and EML light doing its nut - three codes

P0301

P301-EO

P0301 pending

so, as only cyl 1 misfire cleared codes and car runs normally and EML off....   after heavy rain 2 weeks back when checking levels I found a massive puddle around spark plugs but car was OK and after last Sunday's even heaver rain I guess was same issue but car was happy, today when dry overnight, first thing this issue.  I suspect the rain helped finish off the 140k mile HT leads.  Any thoughts please and how am I getting a puddle here ?

really helpful replies guys !!!

appears its normal for coil and leads to play up, local motor factory says they mostly sell as a pair and had have both in stock.... 17 quid for set of leads and 30 for a Delphi coil

not worth arguing about at that price and with at 140k miles might as well slap them on, measuring resistance of the old ones, plug lead each has its own value with 2 3 and 4 quite similar  but 1 was much higher

ran normally after I cleared codes and again after fitted the bits

A lot of people recommend Genuine Ford leads, but they ain't feckin cheap!

they have a two year guarantee,, look similar with each having individual length but the two shorter ones are  an inch longer than ford so don't sit so nicely

on fresh water puddle both on and beneath the cam cover, I see the ***** that last did the screen left one clip off the screen bottom / wiper trim... can't see how that make a difference …. but the one clip that was probably most needed was the one he left unclipped after losing it... today laid small bead of sealant between the two bits and refitted it with a 6th clip

strange but true....

the car was well serviced, always ticked over happily and has never misfired till this episode.... I go in it often, and occasionally drive, of late I've thought it seemed a bit slow but would rev without issue to the red line.... and after I fitted the coil and leads, it started, revved and idled exactly as it always did...

but (almost didn't ask as should be no difference) I asked if it runs any better.... she said "oh I meant to tell you its so much smoother now and makes much more power, its like a different car ! "  which is all rather strange and I don't get how

think I've sussed the great design and how you get a hidden puddle under the cam cover where the plugs reside... its the drivers side washer jet.  almost as if they designed in a misfire,  it sits perfectly just about hiding a massive 10 x 20mm hole in the bonnet right above the plug leads !!!

for many years, now and then the drivers side heated screen washer jet occasionally pops out of place as if a clips broken... only sits up a mm then slides back may be 5mm or so.  but the jet goes off angle on the screen, so I pop just it back and think nothing of it...

last year did it regularly and I thought I should puts some gunge round it just to stop it irritating me, but never did and then this year its not popped out of place once. but was always a bit of a sloppy fit.... so I think in the two horrendous 12 hr non stop heavy rain storms we've had in the last month did exactly as ford designed :bangin:and built up a nice 4 inch deep, 2 pint puddle 100% out of sight in what anyone normal would think is a perfectly dry ideal home for your spark plugs  

• Haha 1

quick follow up on the new found performance gain from a  set of plug leads....

drove it today.... distinctly changed, I could notice the power increase reversing in 4 foot on a cold engine.... totally different throttle response...   gave up trying to find the top end gains (as my main driver is an auto with 386bhp, so this is just noise with little to gain). However you can now drive the car keeping up with everyone else on the road with just 5mm of throttle opening.... 

• Like 1

On 10/27/2018 at 6:13 PM, Botus said:

quick follow up on the new found performance gain from a  set of plug leads....

drove it today.... distinctly changed, I could notice the power increase reversing in 4 foot on a cold engine.... totally different throttle response...   gave up trying to find the top end gains (as my main driver is an auto with 386bhp, so this is just noise with little to gain). However you can now drive the car keeping up with everyone else on the road with just 5mm of throttle opening.... 

Good job mate, glad you got it sorted.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

remain bemused by the change in the way this drives...

in the 40 k miles we've done its never done the mpg I expected it too - but since the coil and leads were changed its picked up 10mpg till you can get an ave consumption of 57mpg on the flat.  Its never done this before.

All I can think was the coil it had was not the right one for the 115bph and map this car had from the factory...  when getting the bit there were 3 different ones and it had to go by engine code

look on eBay for a volvo v50 1.6 rocker cover - it fits the focus petrol engines as they were developed by both companies., though ford in their wisdom , i mean penny pinching stupidity , decided not to fit one while volvo did

it will seal the top of the engine and keep plugs dry even with a leaky washer nozzle 

pop the bonnet & look at your top cam cover - you should see 4 threaded inserts for where it bolts in place........

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club