Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What are these things?

Kowsmou

A couple of the bolt caps came off a focus I just bought, but these bolts don't look like any sort of wheel bolts I've ever seen?

20181021_202733.jpg

The stainless steel caps are an integral part of the wheelnuts that can not beremoved or replaced. In case the stainless steel caps are missing the particular wheelnuts needs to be replaced completely.

If the caps are missing the wheelnuts need to be removed with an 18 mm socket.

The stainless steel caps become loose if released/fastened with an impact air gun. Usage of an impact air gun stretches the material of the caps. As a result of this the caps become loose. 

You can either buy new (very expensive) original Ford wheelnuts or solid aftermarket wheelnuts that have the correct dimensions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JW1982 said:

The stainless steel caps are an integral part of the wheelnuts that can not beremoved or replaced. In case the stainless steel caps are missing the particular wheelnuts needs to be replaced completely.

If the caps are missing the wheelnuts need to be removed with an 18 mm socket.

The stainless steel caps become loose if released/fastened with an impact air gun. Usage of an impact air gun stretches the material of the caps. As a result of this the caps become loose. 

You can either buy new (very expensive) original Ford wheelnuts or solid aftermarket wheelnuts that have the correct dimensions.

Ah I see,

Are these what you mean?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Focus-MK2-Replacement-Wheel-Nuts-x-16-Alloy-Wheels-Only-PE1006/400340308666?hash=item5d362452ba:rk:1:pf:0

Yep. The nut underneath is very soft and will easily round off if you keep using them as they are.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Luke4efc said:

Yep. The nut underneath is very soft and will easily round off if you keep using them as they are.

+1

Get them changed before letting a tyre fitting place loose on them with an impact air gun.

46 minutes ago, 1979Damian said:

+1

Get them changed before letting a tyre fitting place loose on them with an impact air gun.

Is this what I need?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Focus-MK2-Replacement-Wheel-Nuts-x-16-Alloy-Wheels-Only-PE1006/400340308666?hash=item5d362452ba:rk:1:pf:0

9 hours ago, Kowsmou said:

As long as you got alloy wheels, they should be fine.

Has anyone got a link to an aftermarket set of Mk2 nuts (not Mk3 global nuts) that they've personally used for a while without wheels falling off lol?  I'm a bit sceptical about using aftermarket items to hold wheels on but need a set to fit Mk2 alloys to a Mk3. :unsure: 

Euro car parts sell Febi ones for £2.17 each https://www.eurocarparts.com/search/924660101, I've bought Febi ones before from E bay and they look the same as the original MK2 nuts (they may well be the o.e supplier). Last time I had four tyres replaced I jacked the car up and removed all four wheels before the mobile tyre fitter arrived in case this sort of thing happened, you see so many focus/fiesta's on autotrader and eBay with the caps missing off the wheelnuts.