Do Not Sell My Personal Information

GPS Frozen

SuttonRider

Running Sync 3 on a 2017 Focus.

After about 4 hours driving the GPS locked up (just when I needed it) No buttons worked, just the odd 50 yard update and an erroneous incorrect turn instruction. I stopped switched everything off, opened the door, got out, locked the door, after about 5 mins got back in, started the engine and just got the turning wheel on the screen and a message searching for maps. Got to my destination, again switched everything off, this time for about an hour, when I got back in everything worked as it should and the 4 hour drive back home the GPS was OK.

I've seen on here some time ago someone else reporting such a problem. Is there a fix? Should it go back to the dealer?

Thanks

That's pretty much what mine does, fortunately not too often but mainly in one specific area (Yorkshire Dales) which unfortunately is where I do most of my mileage.  There is a specific thread on Mk 8 Sat Nav/GPS problems on the Fiesta forum. @Mavroz in particular has pursued this at great length with the dealer and Ford who don't seem able to offer a fix for existing cars so far.

Interestingly we had a holiday in Norfolk last month, travelling down and back through Lincs and had no problems there.

The problem I had was in the Heathrow area. I've had the car for 10 months and this is the first time its done it.

Hi try disconnecting then the battery then reconnecting  the battery if this does not work go into the sync 3 unit settings and reset the unit to factory reset. This is what my dealer told me to try when my unit locked up and disconnecting the battery worked.

I went down to the local Ford dealers this morning. I told them about the issue I had and they say they and Ford know nothing about it being a fault. The guy there said that he gets a print out every morning of all the issues with all Fords and there has never been anything regarding the GPS. They did offer to put it on the diagnostic computer, but I'm not sure it will show anything as at the moment it works fine. If anyone knows of any bulletin numbers or Ford personnel names to help pin point it that would be useful.

Hi, is your fiesta a MK8? The new shape? I am guessing so if it is using sync 3.

If it is, we spent a long long time with the wife s st line x and the satnave issue, showing the car randomly in the middle of a field etc etc.

Whoever has told you that there is not an issue with fiesta mk8 sync 3 and the satnav system doesn't have a clue what they are talking about.

Trust me when I say there is an issue that has been acknowledged by Ford as they put us a very acceptable compensation package together which is that good, they even threw 3 years free servicing in for my car.

The worst thing is there is no fix for whatever causes the satnav issue and that is across the full Range from the fiesta to the kuga. They have tried replacement receivers, head units, sync units in other's cars at my local main dealer. 

There is no fix or planned fix being worked on for the problematic vehicles.

The sales manager even had a focus with the issues, this hilighted how frustrating it was at the time.

As Eric said, there is another huge thread covering this in detail.

It took us a long time to get anywhere, the thing that swung it was when we told Fors we would be returning the car and have a full refund with interest.

Good luck...

The car is a Focus 1.5 Titanium X Navigator 2017 with Sync 3.

Ok, can't comment then as we have only had issue with the mk8 fiesta.

I also forgot to add that the newer models after around June 2018 don't seem to suffer with the issue so something has been fixed.

My 2017 mk7.5 fiesta doesn't have the navigation issue but I don't think It runs sync 3.

On 10/25/2018 at 12:17 PM, SuttonRider said:

I told them about the issue I had and they say they and Ford know nothing about it being a fault.

Seems a bit hard to believe when a quick search on the web brings up loads of hits in the UK and the States. As @Mavroz says, the issue appears to affect anything from the Fiesta up to the Edge, Mustang and F350 truck, so pretty widespread.

My local dealer certainly seems aware that there have been issues, unfortunately until Ford themselves come up with a definitive fix there is not much they can do.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Seems a bit hard to believe when a quick search on the web brings up loads of hits in the UK and the States. As @Mavroz says, the issue appears to affect anything from the Fiesta up to the Edge, Mustang and F350 truck, so pretty widespread.

My local dealer certainly seems aware that there have been issues, unfortunately until Ford themselves come up with a definitive fix there is not much they can do.

Absolutely... the fight becomes with Ford and not the dealership.

My dealer Was blaming the fact that I have a dash cam installed.  So I took it out and it did it again about a month later.  So not the Dash Cam 

2017 Focus Titanium sync 3

the most likely thing is overheating.....  

if it has a fan it will be small pathetic one and usually (in this location) its blocked by carpet and wiring looms... at the factory where they can see what they are doing and have a procedure to follow, it will end up with a 5mm hole where the air flow is just enough.... with the fan a bit worn and covered in dust its still Ok …. up until the head unit comes out for the first time to fix or modify something.... and goes back with what little air flow its supposed to have compromised

with the nav on it will get hot.... with the heater just below on a long run both will tip it over till it has a moment.

the other point is the software was probably never updated on the cars systems and small improvements that would help it operate well were never applied

Alan: Under what conditions did you find it went faulty. eg after navigating for X amount of hours or if you were not following the route and it was re-calculating a lot. Was it always at the same place?

My 2017 Focus Titanium X satnav has also played up - 3 times since June.

The last time it happened I noticed the arrow representing the cars position was somewhere else on the on-screen map - not my proper location. Also I noticed a symbol with GPS and a line through it which means that the satnav had lost sync with one or more satellites. On previous occaisions the system would not recover unless I switched the ignition off and waited a few minutes.

However this time I tried doing a Sync 3 system reset (not to be confused with master reset). This is done by pressing the round audio on-off / volume button on the radio / cd unit and the seek up right arrow ">>" button which is immediately on the left of the audio on-off / volume button for a few seconds. (See your focus owners manual "Sync 3 System Reset" page 412). The screen went blank for a few seconds and then came up - everything returned to normal. No settings or favourites were lost except that the time reverted back to GPS time (i.e., GMT not BST) so I had to correct that. It is certainly not ideal but that is the only way I've found of recovering without switching off the engine.

It is my impression that the satnav does not dynamically recover if it temporarily loses sync with 1 or more satellites - unlike the Here Maps satynav app on my phone which does!!

• Like 2

Good point Minty, I've noticed the GPS with a line through it a couple of time always when near a hospital, the same one. I'll try that soft reset next time and see what happens. Last time it happened as you say it didn't recover, but the GPS seemed to work OK. To get rid of the 'No GPS' icon I had to switch off the engine wait a couple of mins then turn it all on again.

Got the no GPS symbol this morning in the usual place. Can confirm that the soft reset works on a Mk 8 Fiesta and restored normality, at least for the rest of the journey. Good tip @Minty_, thanks.😀

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

Same problem with new style Ford Fiesta Eco boost purchased June 2019. System just freezes whilst driving until the engine is restarted hours later. Local dealer hasn’t heard of this problem but it’s obviously a fault judging by the comments on here. Will be taking the car in as suggested. Very frustrating and inconvenient.

• 9 months later...

Wife did this sat nav frozen swicj engine off for 5 minutes works fine fiesta titanium x 2019.

• 1 year later...

2018 ST . Sat Nav going off when car is stop starting and getting hot , leave for 30 min and ok when cooled down .?

Got a Kuga ST Line 2016. Went to Birmingham from West Sussex today and it froze at Warwick. On the way back I wasn't using for guidance just has the map displayed and it froze again at Chertsey on the M25. Strange thing was I turned it of and when it came on it retraced the route I'd taken. Weird