Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Advice regarding TDCi engines

Dave1981

Hi all, not been on here since my MK2.5 got written off, but I'm back in the market for another focus but this time I'm leaning towards a diesel.. 

Anyway, I've found 3 that interest me, all mk2's 2008 to 2010 models and either titanium or zetec spec.

A 1.6 with dpf, done 60k, timing belt done at 55k

A 1.8, done 110k, no mention of timing belt done but says full service history from ford.

A 2.0 with 120k again full service record. 

Cost of car and insurance isn't an issue, my question is of those 3 are any of the engines best avoided, performance wise is the 2.0  that much better than the 1.8 or is there owt I should look for on them. I've always had petrols in the past so not used to a diesel. 

Cheers in advance

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave1981 said:

Hi all, not been on here since my MK2.5 got written off, but I'm back in the market for another focus but this time I'm leaning towards a diesel.. 

Anyway, I've found 3 that interest me, all mk2's 2008 to 2010 models and either titanium or zetec spec.

A 1.6 with dpf, done 60k, timing belt done at 55k

A 1.8, done 110k, no mention of timing belt done but says full service history from ford.

A 2.0 with 120k again full service record. 

Cost of car and insurance isn't an issue, my question is of those 3 are any of the engines best avoided, performance wise is the 2.0  that much better than the 1.8 or is there owt I should look for on them. I've always had petrols in the past so not used to a diesel. 

Cheers in advance

1.6TDCi and 2.0TDCi are Peugeot HDi engines, 1.6tdci prone to injector seal leaks

The 1.8 has a timing chain not a belt it also has no dpf as standard and it's Ford's own engine, it's only 5bhp less power than the 2.0 model which can be remapped for more anyway

• Like 1

Late 1.8 TDCI engines do no longer have a timing chain. At the time Ford installed a wetbelt on the late 1.8 TDCI engines to barely meet the emission standards. This way Ford was able to use the 1.8 TDCI without DPF for another couple of Years.

The wetbelts on the late 1.8 TDCI engines are known to fail prematurely quite often. However most premature failure occur on vehicles with DPF (Transit Connect or Mondeo). During regeneration of the DPF the oil becomes dilluted with Diesel fuel. The Diesel fuel affects the material of the wetbelt which causes it to fail prematurely. Another possible cause of wetbelt failure is the usage of engine oil that does not have the correct specifications and also affects the material of the wetbelt.

Replacing the wetbelt is a costly job. It is also possible to install the old reliable timing chain instead of a new wetbelt.

Both the (Peugeot based) 1.6 and 2.0 TDCI engines do have their specific problems.

The 1.6 TDCI is known for turbo damage as a result of heavily contaminated or dilluted engine oil. The strainers inside the oil feed line to the turbo become clogged by the contamination which causes damage to the turbo. In some cases this can even result in a new engine. Stay far away from a car that recently had a new turbo installed.

The 2.0 TDCI is known for electronic problems. Just an example is the engine not responding on the throttle pedal once in a while. If this happens the engine only idles. This is a known problem once the cars become older. Fixing this problem can be really hard. Searching for the cause of this problem can be a real nightmare. Replacing every single sensor that is installed on the engine usually solves the problem for a while. The real cause of the problem is assumed to be software related. The engine is produced by Peaugeot while the electronics and software are produced by Ford.

In my opinion the 1.8 TDCI is the most reliable engine. Especially when the car has a timing chain this engine is basically bullet proof.

• Like 4

I agree. The 1.8 is less refined and more tractor like but that engine is the most likely one to give you trouble free motoring. If I was in your posiion I would be looking at the 1.8tdci. The torque should feel excellent compared to petrol engine.

as a general comment, many people compare the BHP of petrol and diesel engines but the differences in the torque figures is important to how it feels when you drive.

• Like 3

Thanks for all the replies. Gives me something to think about!!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dave1981 said:

Thanks for all the replies. Gives me something to think about!!

• Haha 1

Hi Wilco,

Now you are scaring me. Have a 2009 Mk 2.5 with 1.8tdci (Euro IV) and 96 k miles on the clock. Should I replace wet belt ASAP? ETIS mandates replacement every 10 years or 125 kmiles.

Btw any advice on OEM spares, looking at Dayco / Continental / Bosch wet belt kit / cambelt kit?

This is a wet belt I replaced on a 2009 1.8tdci with 101k miles on it. 

3409D801-857D-4AB0-A759-852F8362993C.jpeg

94B06704-C812-4FA1-AD37-C27BEEFA9678.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, iantt said:

plenty of life left in that wet belt!! lol

I told him that lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, iantt said:

plenty of life left in that wet belt!! lol

the_hangover_13510.jpg.cf6188eb10ed31657f45fd11932efa0d.jpg

• Haha 1

One thing, maybe 2 things I would add that I’m sure Ian might agree is, the use of the correct oil is imperative to the life of the belt. Also the use of additives such as engine flush have a negative effect on the life of the belt so stay clear of using these.

• Like 2

yeah, engine flush is a big NO!! 

never put engine flush in my ecoboost either. 

• Like 2

When using the correct specification high quality engine oil and performing oil changes as prescribed engine flushing addititves are not really necessary anyway. 

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club