Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK8 Fiesta ST-Line - new owner questions

CJLewis87

Hello all

New to the forums and had a few questions about my upcoming new motor!

Just over a week ago, I placed an order for a new Fiesta ST-Line in Red (100PS with city pack and rear privacy glass). I'm part-exchanging my 2016 100PS zetec white edition (pic below - it's been a great car and almost feel a bit bad getting shot of the poor lad!). This is my first time having a new car from the factory so a little unsure of a couple of things...

Firstly, after getting some offers on Carwow, I was pleasantly surprised upon visiting the dealership that a car in my colour and spec was already built and "in the compound" (I assume this is in Germany?) meaning I should be looking at the end of November. I've since been updated a few days ago that the estimated date of arrival to the dealership is now 3rd November. Would I be wrong in getting my hopes up and expecting to be able to pick-up within about a week of that happening?

Now, a couple of quick questions re the car - 1) How is Android Auto on the SYNC 3 system? That's one of the things I really wanted as soon as I saw it in action in a mates car. 2) Do the 2018 models get cylinder deactivation or is that only on the full fat ST model?

Having combed through the "MK 8 delivery delays" thread, I got to see some of the pictures when people were receiving their new motors, they looked fantastic!

Thanks 😀

Rocky.jpg

With working in a dealership you get to see what happens, and when it comes to new car PDIs it can be hit and miss.  If your car arrives on a day where the workshop is looking for jobs instead of being packed, they will start to pull new cars in for PDIs to keep the techs going.  If your car arrives in a busy week, you can expect that date to start being pushed back, unless the sales guy starts doing some crying.  However, this time of year things start to slow down at dealers, so you should be okay.  As for the other stuff, unfortunately I can't comment.

10 minutes ago, STJAY said:

With working in a dealership you get to see what happens, and when it comes to new car PDIs it can be hit and miss.  If your car arrives on a day where the workshop is looking for jobs instead of being packed, they will start to pull new cars in for PDIs to keep the techs going.  If your car arrives in a busy week, you can expect that date to start being pushed back, unless the sales guy starts doing some crying.  However, this time of year things start to slow down at dealers, so you should be okay.  As for the other stuff, unfortunately I can't comment.

Cheers for in the info! Yeah I'm in no rush, when I went into the dealership I was expecting an 8-12 week wait anyway, so anything this side of Christmas is a nice, unexpected bonus!

Hi Cal

Can see why you're reluctant to see the "old" car go - very nice in white and the black roof sets it off nicely. 

Our Mk 8 was also in stock (in Germania) and took 4 or 5 weeks to show up at the dealers, so hopefully it'll be in your eager mitts pretty soon. 😀

As for the Android Auto, it's champion! You can't connect to it via bluetooth as data requirements need a wired connection but that's no hardship and it'll keep your phone nicely charged. Google Maps works great, as does Waze but if you've got Ford's SatNav on your build, the recent mapping update means it's now fine. Won't give you the live traffic functionality of the other 2 though. So yes, you'll like the Android Auto.

Hope the new car is ace.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mick_Delinquent said:

Hi Cal

Can see why you're reluctant to see the "old" car go - very nice in white and the black roof sets it off nicely. 

Our Mk 8 was also in stock (in Germania) and took 4 or 5 weeks to show up at the dealers, so hopefully it'll be in your eager mitts pretty soon. 😀

As for the Android Auto, it's champion! You can't connect to it via Bluetooth as data requirements need a wired connection but that's no hardship and it'll keep your phone nicely charged. Google Maps works great, as does Waze but if you've got Ford's SatNav on your build, the recent mapping update means it's now fine. Won't give you the live traffic functionality of the other 2 though. So yes, you'll like the Android Auto.

Hope the new car is ace.

Thanks Mick! Good to hear from someone who had a similar order experience. I'll be emailing the dealership again the middle of next week, fingers crossed it's still on course for next weekend!

Not got the SatNav included on my build, to be honest, I've never been a fan of many of the systems that come in cars! I've always thought Google Maps is far superior due to it always being up-to-date, as well as the live traffic and not having to specify a full address/post code. I've used Android Auto plenty of times in the current car, which works nicely just with the phone docked on the dash, but obviously having it integrated directly into the 8" SYNC 3 display will be far better!

When navigating with Google Maps via AA, do you get the directions show up on the smaller dash display or just the main one? I assumed that functionality would probably be reserved for the inbuilt SatNav. 

What Mk8 model did you go for, and how have you been getting on overall?

Cheers

You did right not to pay extra for the SatNav - good move when you've got AA.

As you thought, Google Maps fills the screen (in landscape) rather than being in a window within Sync 3 - it's Sync 3 or AA, not both unfortunately. No big deal though. 🙂

I went for the 5dr 100PS 1.0 Titanium in white and I have to say that it's a great little car. I was torn between the Fiesta and the Seat Ibiza 1.0 FR and I'm very happy with my choice. Drives great, is nippy enough and drives unbelievably smoothly/quietly for a small car. It's also got loads of standard kit and has been 100% fault free, so it's all good.

I see you've gone down the ST route and I must admit, I was tempted by the sportier suspension and body kit. I may have made a mistake going for the Titanium instead of ST but what the hell, they're both cracking cars.

Please let us know what you think of your ST when it arrives. It's bl00dy awful waiting for a new car to arrive! 🙄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mick_Delinquent said:

You did right not to pay extra for the SatNav - good move when you've got AA.

As you thought, Google Maps fills the screen (in landscape) rather than being in a window within Sync 3 - it's Sync 3 or AA, not both unfortunately. No big deal though. 🙂

I went for the 5dr 100PS 1.0 Titanium in white and I have to say that it's a great little car. I was torn between the Fiesta and the Seat Ibiza 1.0 FR and I'm very happy with my choice. Drives great, is nippy enough and drives unbelievably smoothly/quietly for a small car. It's also got loads of standard kit and has been 100% fault free, so it's all good.

I see you've gone down the ST route and I must admit, I was tempted by the sportier suspension and body kit. I may have made a mistake going for the Titanium instead of ST but what the hell, they're both cracking cars.

Please let us know what you think of your ST when it arrives. It's bl00dy awful waiting for a new car to arrive! 🙄

Absolutely, I think the Titanium models are really nice and come with plenty of kit as standard! To be honest I've always been a fan of the honeycomb grill so the ST-Line is perfect for me as it's got the sportier looks without having the beefed up engine. My current 100PS ecoboost has been more than ideal for what I need! It's a nippy little thing so good for the odd overtake and runs nice and steady on longer runs. I think I managed about 57mpg earlier this year on our 200 mile trip down to Devon on the M5! I hear the Mk 8 is supposed to be even more refined, and it'll be nice moving to the 6-speed gearbox as well.

One other question you may be able to answer, this "speed limiter" function, am I right in thinking you can say, set it to 75mph, and providing you keep your foot rested on the throttle nice and steady, it should stay at that speed and will only go over it if you put your foot down kind of thing? I don't normally do long journeys so didn't really need the cruise control (as nice as I'm sure it is) so this would be a nice little addition.

The speed limiter merely sets your maximum speed (unless you deliberately override it by pressing hard on the accelerator, or inadvertently go over e.g. when descending a steep hill, in which case it warns you). It will not hold a set speed like cruise. 

I guess what your'e suggesting is using sufficient accelerator pressure to hold it against the set maximum? Having cruise on my car, I must admit I haven't tried that, but sounds like a plan! 

20 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

The speed limiter merely sets your maximum speed (unless you deliberately override it by pressing hard on the accelerator, or inadvertently go over e.g. when descending a steep hill, in which case it warns you). It will not hold a set speed like cruise. 

I guess what your'e suggesting is using sufficient accelerator pressure to hold it against the set maximum? Having cruise on my car, I must admit I haven't tried that, but sounds like a plan! 

Hi Roger, yes I guess that's what I was getting at.... if you set your max speed to 40 and keep your foot steadily on the throttle, it should keep it from going over unless you press hard to override it. Certainly not as convenient as cruise, but could be quite convenient in a number of situations I guess!

Yes, anything to keep the points away is worth a try!😀

• Like 1

Haha had the Mrs mk8 for 8 months and never used the cruise control. It is only used around the town, going to work and the odd trip to the in laws....

I think cruise was part of the St Line X package and came as standard on this model. My 7.5 doesn't have it, not that it would be missed.

I don't understand how people don't use cruise control...  I use mine every drive, even in town, 30mph in light traffic is much less stressful on cruise than watching the speedo to stop creeping up.

I wouldn't buy a car without cruise personally!  (Unless I could add it cheaply and easily, as I did with the Mk2 Focus and Audi A3 8P lol).

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

I don't understand how people don't use cruise control...  I use mine every drive, even in town, 30mph in light traffic is much less stressful on cruise than watching the speedo to stop creeping up.

I wouldn't buy a car without cruise personally!  (Unless I could add it cheaply and easily, as I did with the Mk2 Focus and Audi A3 8P lol).

I suppose it's one of those things, if you're used to having it you wouldn't want to be without it! I've never had it on a car, but I'm sure I will in the future.

@Mavroz - I'm sure from reading through the delivery delays thread, that most people's estimated delivery dates at dealerships we're for week ending? My dealership has emailed me this morning saying it's still showing as 03/11/18, but that they usually receive their orders at the beginning of the week. I'm hoping this means I may get some good news in the next couple of days!

Cruise control never gets used i am afraid, i don't see the point of it, especially at 20/30mph. I drive with a heavy foot.

It is as much use as the 6th gear on the Fiesta... Why? 

To us, another pointless addition.

@CJLewis87 , when the Mrs car arrived at the dealership, pretty sure they  said they could turn it around in 24 to 48 hours or so but we couldn't collect it while a weekend if i remember right.

I suppose we all drive in different conditions, and have different driving styles. Like @Mavroz, I rarely use cruise or 6th gear (be nice to get the chance now and again!). I do find the cruise very useful on the rare occasions I get on a motorway when there always seem to be average speed cameras in use.

On delivery, seems a long time ago now, but I think mine turned up at the dealer at the end of the week and I picked it up the following Thursday (1 March).  After a 6 month wait there was no way I was taking it on a 67 plate! I had the handover bay to myself that day as it was a blizzard and the other customers had postponed collection!😀

Haha, yes i remember telling them we didn't want a 67 plate.

We actually picked the car up on a Sunday. It was a promotion weekend at the dealership, with some special event on.

Ours was the only ST Line there and the only X they had seen since the track test day the sales reps were supposed to have had when it was launched.

Many a person asked if they could sit in it and see what it was like, blah blah blah.... Needless to say, that never happened.

@Mavroz @Eric Bloodaxe I certainly feel for you guys having to wait that long on the factory orders! It must have been agony, I'm getting excited/impatient, and I could have mine within 4 weeks of ordering (granted the colour and spec was already built and in the compound). I suppose that's the pain you go through when you're amongst the first ordering the latest model!

I told my sales lady at the dealership I'm actually away on holiday next week and not back until the Friday (9th). She asked if I needed the car before 5th should it arrive in the next couple of days, I said I was in no rush, but of course if they were able to that would be an added bonus. She said she would "see what she could do for me" with a little wink so you never know! I'm sure I saw a few people mention ETIS (or something similar to that) on the other thread. Were people able to track their delivery on that?

The old "breaking in the engine" thing, is it advisable to take it steady for the first 1,000 miles or so?

Going back over old ground, all along he dealership have helped us all they way with this car.

When we ordered, we was advised to sell our our car to them as the Mrs was having a hand operation and couldn't drive for at least 12 weeks. New car ordered would be ready in plenty of time..... really?

Anyway the new car wasn't ready so the dealership lent us a car (another St Line the same as mine) until it was. When she could drive from around early November to March she had free motoring.... all she had to do was put fuel in.

Was in no massive rush for the leather for the seating to be delivered.

That is why I have every trust in the dealership. They have never lied or tried to fob us off or rip us off in any way at all.

We gave our cars about 300 ish miles before giving them a good push I think.

• Thanks 1

Dealership has been in touch this morning and car has arrived today!! Collecting on Sunday so more than a little giddy and exited now! 😂😂

Aye, happy days Cal! Just try sleeping a lot and Sunday will feel like it's come round quicker. Lol. Enjoy.

When I collected mine, I asked about running the engine in and was told by the salesman "Just do what you like with it - they're already run in". Ask your dealer and see what they say but I think Mavroz is right to suggest 300 miles before giving it the beanz. Just doesn't seem right to redline a car with a few miles on the clock.....

50 minutes ago, Mick_Delinquent said:

Aye, happy days Cal! Just try sleeping a lot and Sunday will feel like it's come round quicker. Lol. Enjoy.

When I collected mine, I asked about running the engine in and was told by the salesman "Just do what you like with it - they're already run in". Ask your dealer and see what they say but I think Mavroz is right to suggest 300 miles before giving it the beanz. Just doesn't seem right to redline a car with a few miles on the clock.....

Thanks Mick, yes happy days indeed! I've got quite a lot on the next few days and then I'm off next week so plenty of time to test out the new motor!

Yeah I've always wondered about running a new engine in, mainly because I've never had a brand new car before! I'll ask the dealership but I'll most likely take it steady for the first few hundred miles as per @Mavroz's comment

Not sure that is per se but it is what we did and seems ok. Good luck and enjoy.

• Thanks 1

On 10/29/2018 at 11:23 AM, Eric Bloodaxe said:

@CJLewis87Got a rare opportunity this morning to drive in a straight line at a steady speed, so tried the speed limiter as discussed. It does indeed work as you suggested, Cal😀.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

@CJLewis87Got a rare opportunity this morning to drive in a straight line at a steady speed, so tried the speed limiter as discussed. It does indeed work as you suggested, Cal😀.

Ah well that's cool Roger, thanks for the info! Only a minor thing but could be helpful in certain situations I reckon!

I actually got to "test drive" a new Fiesta today, as my soon to be part-exchanged motor was in for it's second service so was given a courtesy car. It was only a basic spec 1.1 80PS one with 5-speed gearbox. Even that was pleasant to drive, even though it clearly lacked the umph of the ecoboost models. Have to say I was impressed with the interior and the touchscreen/dash display is so much better! I did notice after I paired my phone it didn't show the album art from the music I was streaming, was kind of hoping it would be that's only a minor niggle!

Just picked up the new motor. Over the moon with it! 

IMG_20181104_134707.jpg

MVIMG_20181104_113555.jpg

MVIMG_20181104_113443.jpg

• Like 2