Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car not start

lasthope

Any idea why car not start had it down garage few weeks back and just cut out said it was the dash clocks but i had lose live and car been ok till today tryed to start and it seems as battery is flat but its not it just clicks turns slow and all dash lights just go mad ha ha this happend few weeks back but aboit 20 clicks on key it started and was fine till now 1.6 tdci 2008 so thinking can this me down to clocks 

I cheers just got battery on change see if the cold killed it and its been snowing up here i never had them probs with clocks that people say when clocks go mad 

the instrument cluster deteriorates and get worse, till it wont start.....    the big test is when you pull the key out and lock the car the mileage display should go to sleep in 10 mins, if its 30 mins they are going wrong

33 minutes ago, lasthope said:

I cheers just got battery on change see if the cold killed it and its been snowing up here i never had them probs with clocks that people say when clocks go mad 

I had issues last winter and needed a new battery it was ten years old original 🙂

• Like 1

ok will try later just got battery on charge when trying to start you can hear the central locking clicking to

1 minute ago, F0CUE said:

I had issues last winter and needed a new battery it was ten years old original 🙂

battery is saying 2017  it done this last week but after about 15 clicked it started up so iam hoping the cold has killed battery car been running all week fine to

Well the cold I doubt would run down the battery power seems like a charging issue which could be a faulty alternator. See if it charges and starts if so would be looking further down the line.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Botus said:

its the instrument cluster

hope not lol I wait till tomorr and stick battery back on,,i have never had and probs with clocks speedo revs lights flashing or any other listed just until now as car not start and display would go off after 10 mins to

I didn't think the IC fault affected 2008 models.  Thought it was only on the mk2 around 2006.  

battery should be your first port of call.  My Dad once had a new battery that went duff.  Should be under warranty for about 3 years.  If battery ok then maybe the starter motor?

I just waiting till tomorrow but would you not think if this happend last week the starter would be still doing it  was last sunday car would not start took about 15 goes or more then started drove all week done about 100 miles or more stop and starting np all week untill the morning

I think post title is misleading…..

am I correct in now knowing the fault you had was "the car wont crank" - rather than  "the car cranks but doesn't fire up"  which is what  "won't start"  means

ones the battery, the other is (often) the immobiliser

• Like 1

no it did crank but slow then it would click battery was new last new so was  alternative I was just going off what the lad said when he done the diagnostics test that the clocks were duff but that was 2 weeks back car been ok till we had that bit snow off to get them checked now

if it cranks slow it could be

low battery,

worn out starter,

bad connections (earth etc.),

seized engine,

Car runs ok so can't be seized engine started motor turns ok all the time just stuck battery back on car this morning after a charge 1st turn starts up been about 30 mile run start and stopping car working ok unless i have some prob with drain on battery at nite 

3 hours ago, lasthope said:

Car runs ok so can't be seized engine started motor turns ok all the time just stuck battery back on car this morning after a charge 1st turn starts up been about 30 mile run start and stopping car working ok unless i have some prob with drain on battery at nite 

Glad it's sorted.  I guess time will tell if you have a drain or something on it. Let's hope not :thumbsup:

I cheers albert  yes time will tell lad who done check today says if it does it again take live off at nite and if ok next day you have a drain some place

Little update car started 1st click this morning at 7am and it very cold most of been raining and windscreen was vell fronze 

• Like 2

remembered bloke at work with his focus mk2 petrol 1.6 car that had this non crank issue randomly around every 3 to 6 months...  according to company that come to rescue his wife each time, the fix is push the car a metre down the road in second gear...

the issue is the engine stops in the same place so only one area on the starter ring gear wears...   as it gets worse on occasions the starter pinion won't mesh and then never gets the power to crank as the solenoid is not in position…  I thought it was a load of clap trap, but its done the same on mine once (but I forgot about it)....

when mine did it 18 months back the battery was OK and using a fully charged power pack it still just kicked like a totally flat battery.... a year on when the battery was gone... the same power pack would fire it up as though it had a brand new battery on it

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club