Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Diagnostics Software

jeebowhite

I read on a scorpio forum (http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/obd2a.htm), how a guy managed to download some software free, and bought a cable for $122, and he managed to connect his scorpio up and diagnose it, although it wasn't 100% perfect as the software was designed for US vehicles, he managed to get a lot from it, and it got me thinking, sure you can view the DTC's in the trip comp, but can you do something similar to Mr Scorpio where you get a cable and software and do it yourself for a fraction of the price (and true a fraction of the programs efficiency, functionality). Has anyone done anything like this as I think I would be willing to give it a go some time in the near future?

What would you need, I know a laptop with a "serial" port, and of course a diagnostics cable, not sure if there are budget, decent and superb varieties, but has anyone done or heard of anyone doing this?

You will need a cable to fit into your OBD socket the other end is a standard RS plug as used to hook up to a modem. There several sites offering software from free to £100. I have all the kit just haven't got around to trying out

Blimp

sounds good, I think I will give it a go, can you suggest the site that you could get the software from free - £100? did you buy your software or get it free?

Thanks

J

ive been doing a lot of research for an up coming car project and one of my required bits n bobs is one of these.

im sure its what you are looking for

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ELM-327-CAR-DIAGNOSTIC-FAULT-CODE-READER-SCAN-TOOL-1-3A_W0QQitemZ180472772416QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment?hash=item2a0503f740

beats paying $122! and being usb you dont need an rs232 port on your laptop

plus you will need software(the above eBay one comes with a bit of software), i havnt researched other software as i have different plans and wont need a stand alone software.

just google elm327 software im sure you can find a free one. if you are familiar with terminal services in windows you can use this to read the data from the obd2 using the elm327 interface.

very boring though as there are softwares that give you a digital dash with all the readings from oil pressure to clutch position and speed.

here are a few of the most common programs for the elm327 - ScanMasterELM,PCMSCAN,ScanXL,Digimoto

not sure which are free or not...... just do a little more digging im sure you can get one free ;)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

ive been doing a lot of research for an up coming car project and one of my required bits n bobs is one of these.

im sure its what you are looking for

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ELM-327-CAR-DIAGNOSTIC-FAULT-CODE-READER-SCAN-TOOL-1-3A_W0QQitemZ180472772416QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment?hash=item2a0503f740

beats paying $122! and being usb you dont need an rs232 port on your laptop

plus you will need software(the above ebay one comes with a bit of software), i havnt researched other software as i have different plans and wont need a stand alone software.

just google elm327 software im sure you can find a free one. if you are familiar with terminal services in windows you can use this to read the data from the obd2 using the elm327 interface.

very boring though as there are softwares that give you a digital dash with all the readings from oil pressure to clutch position and speed.

here are a few of the most common programs for the elm327 - ScanMasterELM,PCMSCAN,ScanXL,Digimoto

not sure which are free or not...... just do a little more digging im sure you can get one free ;)

Good Man!!! I havent been on f or a while as been busy, and you have just made my day with this find! will get right onto it and see what I can find!

• 3 weeks later...

Good Man!!! I havent been on f or a while as been busy, and you have just made my day with this find! will get right onto it and see what I can find!

let me know how you get on with it as i still havnt got round to starting my project yet so didnt get it

Yeah, I am just waiting for the funds to buy the part, so as soon as I have tried it I will update this thread!

• 2 months later...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club