Do Not Sell My Personal Information

EGR valve location - 2009 1.6 TDCi

BR36

Hi, anyone able to tell me where the EGR valve is located on this engine please and how easy it is to remove/clean?

My advice, based on a 2009 1.4 tdci, take it to a garage lol. My car is currently in pieces along with my motivation.  Mine is under the fuel filter but I'm having trouble getting the clamp that holds the EGR to the cooler back on, looks like I need a special tool.

Oh heck, sounds like a pain to get to😕. To be more specific tho, where exactly is it?

• Like 1

Not sure on a 1.6 but on mine you have to remove the air filter box & diesel filter and then it's underneath, pretty much directly under the scuttle panel to the rear top right of the engine.  Could be worse could be on the underneath, my one piece of advice if you are going to try it, go to ford first and get a replacement clamp, if it's a bolt up one it'll make the job easier, if not order a clic-r clamp tool (£5 on eBay, £20 in Halfords).

11 minutes ago, BP2411 said:

....,,,,if not order a clic-r clamp tool (£5 on eBay, £20 in Halfords).

Oh yeah, I saw your post on that elsewhere. Son works at Halfords so will see if we can borrow one if necessary. He’s got a code that points to EGR (looking at other posts on here) so want to try a clean first. He wants to do the EGR blank but I’d like to know this is the problem first. He’s only had the car 3 weeks so he’s a bit miffed at the minute😕

I was considering EGR blank but not sure where I'd stand come MOT. For me it looks like it'd make it a lot easier if I took the scuttle panel off but the wipers & headlights have to come off first.

13 minutes ago, BP2411 said:

......... For me it looks like it'd make it a lot easier if I took the scuttle panel off but the wipers & headlights have to come off first.

That looks like a lot of messing around 😕

According to the (useless) Haynes manual

The EGR valve is mounted on the left-hand rear of the cylinder head.

Remove the windscreen cowl & bulkhead closure panel.

Disconnect the wiring from the EGR valve.

Disengage & release the retaining clamp securing the EGR pipe to the EGR valve, then undo the EGR pipe support bracket bolt.

Undo the 2 bolts & remove the EGR valve & housing assembly from the rear of the engine.

On my mk6.5 fiesta 1.6 TDCI the EGR valves is located below the fuel filter. I blanked mine as the intake manifold was really sooted up because of itIMG-20180106-WA0006.thumb.jpg.9f602c438c48d9515cf91a36cf5e5181.jpgDSC_0115.thumb.JPG.832b6cfd1dfcd80493c8ed70432c35f4.JPGDSC_0134.thumb.JPG.04bf632552efbe7d5a2e575de045b59a.JPG

I think this video might be helpful in finding where it's located. 

Yes it's behind and below the fuel filter.  I've had mine off and it is a bit of a pain but doable.  One bolt on the EGR is done by feel if I remember right.  The tool/s you need to put the Clamp back on is a set of these :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/9PC-Hose-Clamp-Clip-Plier-Set-Swivel-Jaw-Flat-Angled-Band-Automotive-Tool-Kit/253419270027?hash=item3b00f72f8b:g:M0QAAOSwwbdWIIua:rk:5:pf:1&frcectupt=true

I got the clamp off but couldn't get it back on!  Thankfully a neighbour had a set so managed to clamp it back together.  Then I bought this set 😄

I found these vids helpful:

• 1 year later...

Anyone had any problems with water leaking of the top of the engine under the inlet manifold I’ve got water leaking of there and have to keep filling the coolent up everyday! 

Common problem with the focus 2005-2011 was leaking washer jets 

Well not so much the jet, more so the seals between the jet and the bonnet, the rubber deteriorates over time with heat in the summer and frost in the winter, eventually starts to let rain water drip on top of the engine, 

Not a huge problem unless you own a 1.6 petrol where your coil packs are positioned directly below the washer jets, then the rain water wrotts the inside of your rocker cover eventually filling up the areas around the spark plugs,

Overall fix; use some bathroom silicone sealant around the washer jets underneath the bonnet; stops the rain water getting in

14 hours ago, Bri06fiesta said:

Anyone had any problems with water leaking of the top of the engine under the inlet manifold I’ve got water leaking of there and have to keep filling the coolent up everyday! 

Common problem with the focus 2005-2011 was leaking washer jets 

Well not so much the jet, more so the seals between the jet and the bonnet, the rubber deteriorates over time with heat in the summer and frost in the winter, eventually starts to let rain water drip on top of the engine, 

Not a huge problem unless you own a 1.6 petrol where your coil packs are positioned directly below the washer jets, then the rain water wrotts the inside of your rocker cover eventually filling up the areas around the spark plugs,

Overall fix; use some bathroom silicone sealant around the washer jets underneath the bonnet; stops the rain water getting in

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club