Do Not Sell My Personal Information

EGR blank in Winter

FociDoci

Hi Guys

First post here.

I recently blanked off the EGR valve on my 2006 Focus 1.8TDCi work horse.

I did this last month and did see a difference in responsiveness. However, it seems to take an eon to warm up now and  with winter up on us Im thinking that it may not have been such a good idea. My car doesnt even have a MPG counter so its hard to tell but my journeys are mostly short and it does seem to be using more fuel, whether thats because price at pumps Im not sure.

Should I take it off for the Winter? Love to know your thoughts.

Cheers

• Like 1

I kind of get the thinking behind that. As you stopped the hot exhaust gases from recirculating back into the engine it does help to warm up the engine. From my experience I don't know if blanking the EGR makes a difference. 

I think it could be due to the colder weather and shorter distances you do which may contribute to using more fuel. Also you could try to not use the heater so much as I've noticed with mine at optimum temperature the needle slightly goes down when I have the hot air on on number 3 or 4 whilst at standstill. 

23 hours ago, zain611 said:

I dont use the heaters that much tbh mate. Never until engine is up to temp anyway.

I kind of get the thinking behind that. As you stopped the hot exhaust gases from recirculating back into the engine it does help to warm up the engine. From my experience I don't know if blanking the EGR makes a difference. 

I think it could be due to the colder weather and shorter distances you do which may contribute to using more fuel. Also you could try to not use the heater so much as I've noticed with mine at optimum temperature the needle slightly goes down when I have the hot air on on number 3 or 4 whilst at standstill. 

On 10/29/2018 at 3:46 PM, zain611 said:

First point yes. You will always see a slight decrease in your MPG in winter.

The second point sounds like bull *****. The radiator uses waste heat that would otherwise just get transferred to the atmosphere and the fan will use bugger all power. It's a bit like saying you'll turn the radio down to save fuel. The difference isn't measurable in real world driving.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Luke4efc said:

The second point sounds like bull *****. The radiator uses waste heat that would otherwise just get transferred to the atmosphere and the fan will use bugger all power. It's a bit like saying you'll turn the radio down to save fuel. The difference isn't measurable in real world driving.

Not true at all.  In fact, running the blowers on max heat is a common method to stop an engine overheating when the rad fan breaks...  Sat in traffic on a hot summers day with no AC and having the heaters on full is not a fun experience! :laugh:  It's not electric use that's the issue, but the fact you're taking the heat out of the coolant which is then cycled back through the engine, the cold coolant then absorbs some of the heat from the engine block keeping the engine cooler than it would otherwise be.

• Like 1

Lol I'm gonna have to double check my statement 😂. I saw on a engineering explain video that if you drive a turbo car very hard you should leave it running for about a minute or two before switching it off. The thought was to do with hot oil when it cools and its next to hot parts (can't remember the full details). I don't really drive the car very hard but if I boot it a bit when I'm near home Id try to put the blowers on to reduce the temperature. Probably overthinking about it. I'm going to check though if the temperature needle moves slightly down from the middle without using the heating at standstill. 

On 10/29/2018 at 1:38 PM, FociDoci said:

Hi Guys

First post here.

I recently blanked off the EGR valve on my 2006 Focus 1.8TDCi work horse.

I did this last month and did see a difference in responsiveness. However, it seems to take an eon to warm up now and  with winter up on us Im thinking that it may not have been such a good idea. My car doesnt even have a MPG counter so its hard to tell but my journeys are mostly short and it does seem to be using more fuel, whether thats because price at pumps Im not sure.

Should I take it off for the Winter? Love to know your thoughts.

Cheers

Hi, 

The EGR valve fluctuates on the percentage oc opening in accordance with the throttle, at full throttle the egr circuculates up to 20% of waste gases back in to the induction pipe much like the Gorillas in winter the engine is eating it's own poo but the engine does it all year round.

When blanked, there is at most a 20% increase in clean air induction in to the engine and a 20% increase in exhaust pressure, 

This increase in exhaust pressure; spools up your turbo faster which causes a reduction in turbo lag meaning you reach speed a bit quicker. 

The increase in demand for induction means you may see benefit from fitting a clean induction filter of better a Green Cotton Performance filter or K&N filter, both aftermarket filters are a straight swap and reduce restriction. .

The egr circulatin pipe travels through a cooling jacket which is a lagged cavity pipe which has cooling circulating in it to cool the exhaust gasses as they recirculate,

See picture; coolant travels in the big pipe and out the small pipe in centre to form an after cooling jacket prior to recirculation of the gasses,

s-l640.jpg.d87ac292bbb50123e95dcaa858e79747.jpg

since blanked now the heat isint passing through that recirculation pipe so there isint as much going heat going in to your coolant which ultimately is a good thing for the engine, 

Diesel particles form a wax in winter months which gathers on the filter and causes restriction leading to a reduction in fuel economy, this has nothing to do with blanking the egr but economy would get 0.4 Miles to the gallon worse if your egr wasn't blanked.

Personally I wouldn't change it now, I would fit an upgrade induction filter and have the fuel filter changed at the beginning of every spring or summer.

You may consider purchasing and fitting a scangauge for yourself for Christmas can fit in an ST pod 

9 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Not true at all.  In fact, running the blowers on max heat is a common method to stop an engine overheating when the rad fan breaks...  Sat in traffic on a hot summers day with no AC and having the heaters on full is not a fun experience! :laugh:  It's not electric use that's the issue, but the fact you're taking the heat out of the coolant which is then cycled back through the engine, the cold coolant then absorbs some of the heat from the engine block keeping the engine cooler than it would otherwise be.

Exactly, you're cooling the engine down via the heater matrix, as you say a common way to cool the engine down when sat in traffic with a dodgy rad fan.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Maybe I didn't word that too well lol. I think most of us have been in that situation where the car will only run with the heater on full blast 😂.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Luke4efc said:

Maybe I didn't word that too well lol. I think most of us have been in that situation where the car will only run with the heater on full blast 😂.

My dad had the head gasket go once,

And he pulled over on the side of the road with steam coming from the bonnet, 

He quite angrily got out to investigate under the bonnet, 

A short time later a good Samaritan pulls up and says "Are you boiling?" 

My dad knew exactly what the person ment but chose to respond to say

"No I'm not a Boylen I'm one of the woods'es just an ordinary fella you wouldn't know me thanks" 

The good Samaritan then drove away thinking what a knob😅

Can we get back on point fellas. None of this helps my query. Start a thread about fans if you wish.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, FociDoci said:

Can we get back on point fellas. None of this helps my query. Start a thread about fans if you wish.

Personally I'm not here to repeat myself, 

The information below should help your query as post earlier I can't break it down any better than previously written.

11 hours ago, Lenny said:

Hi, 

The EGR valve fluctuates on the percentage oc opening in accordance with the throttle, at full throttle the egr circuculates up to 20% of waste gases back in to the induction pipe much like the Gorillas in winter the engine is eating it's own poo but the engine does it all year round.

When blanked, there is at most a 20% increase in clean air induction in to the engine and a 20% increase in exhaust pressure, 

This increase in exhaust pressure; spools up your turbo faster which causes a reduction in turbo lag meaning you reach speed a bit quicker. 

The increase in demand for induction means you may see benefit from fitting a clean induction filter of better a Green Cotton Performance filter or K&N filter, both aftermarket filters are a straight swap and reduce restriction. .

The egr circulatin pipe travels through a cooling jacket which is a lagged cavity pipe which has cooling circulating in it to cool the exhaust gasses as they recirculate,

See picture; coolant travels in the big pipe and out the small pipe in centre to form an after cooling jacket prior to recirculation of the gasses,

s-l640.jpg.d87ac292bbb50123e95dcaa858e79747.jpg

since blanked now the heat isint passing through that recirculation pipe so there isint as much going heat going in to your coolant which ultimately is a good thing for the engine, 

Diesel particles form a wax in winter months which gathers on the filter and causes restriction leading to a reduction in fuel economy, this has nothing to do with blanking the egr but economy would get 0.4 Miles to the gallon worse if your egr wasn't blanked.

Personally I wouldn't change it now, I would fit an upgrade induction filter and have the fuel filter changed at the beginning of every spring or summer.

You may consider purchasing and fitting a scangauge for yourself for Christmas can fit in an ST pod 

9 hours ago, FociDoci said:

Yes, the EGR blank does cause a longer warm up time.

But in my experience it doesn't make any noticeable difference to MPG.  Winter MPG will obviously be a bit lower, but between one winter without a blank, and one with, my average MPG was the same.  If you want to work out actual MPG do a brim test next time you fill up.  :smile: 

3 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Yes, the EGR blank does cause a longer warm up time.

But in my experience it doesn't make any noticeable difference to MPG.  Winter MPG will obviously be a bit lower, but between one winter without a blank, and one with, my average MPG was the same.  If you want to work out actual MPG do a brim test next time you fill up.  :smile: 

Cheers mate. I am in the process of doing a few tests. Thanks.

12 hours ago, Lenny said:

Personally I'm not here to repeat myself, 

The information below should help your query as post earlier I can't break it down any better than previously written.

Yes I am familiar with the process and how an EGR valve works, thanks, but there are others with opinions I'm sure.

• Haha 1