Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus mk2 high clutch

scoop64

Just got a ford focus 2006 one  thing i noticed the  biting point of clutch is very high, my son drove it the first time tonight who is a learner driver also complained about same thing, said he would find it some getting use too compared to  his instructors car, clutch seems to work fine not slipping, what is the clutch like on yours?  thanks

10 minutes ago, scoop64 said:

Just got a ford focus 2006 one  thing i noticed the  biting point of clutch is very high, my son drove it the first time tonight who is a learner driver also complained about same thing, said he would find it some getting use too compared to  his instructors car, clutch seems to work fine not slipping, what is the clutch like on yours?  thanks

It's perfectly normal on the MK2 Focus, especially the petrols, the clutch is self adjusting.  To test the clutch, try to pull off in 3rd gear letting out the clutch in the same way that you would if pulling away normally in 1st.  If the clutch isn't slipping you'll stall (as you'd expect),  if you let the clutch out and the car pulls off despite being in 3rd gear, the clutch must be slipping.

8 minutes ago, 1979Damian said:

It's perfectly normal on the MK2 Focus, especially the petrols, the clutch is self adjusting.  To test the clutch, try to pull off in 3rd gear letting out the clutch in the same way that you would if pulling away normally in 1st.  If the clutch isn't slipping you'll stall (as you'd expect),  if you let the clutch out and the car pulls off despite being in 3rd gear, the clutch must be slipping.

just went out and tried it, the car stalled in 3rd, so i guess this is normal, the high clutch.

1 minute ago, scoop64 said:

just went out and tried it, the car stalled in 3rd, so i guess this is normal, the high clutch.

Yup, the diesels generally aren't as noticeable but the petrols are, especially the MK2.  It's perfectly normal though so nothing to worry about, it's just a case of getting used to it.

• Like 1

Just as a point, mines always been high too. However, I’ve had it a year and I’ve always been able to pull away in 3rd (albeit very slowly) if I accidentally put it back in 3rd instead of 1st?

49 minutes ago, dtulip8 said:

Just as a point, mines always been high too. However, I’ve had it a year and I’ve always been able to pull away in 3rd (albeit very slowly) if I accidentally put it back in 3rd instead of 1st?

Do you mean by letting the clutch out REALLY slowly or letting out just like you would in 1st gear (as normal)?

Problem is i don’t know! I’ll have to try it by taking it somewhere where no ones watching and having a go!

Just now, dtulip8 said:

Problem is i don’t know! I’ll have to try it by taking it somewhere where no ones watching and having a go!

:driving:

Another test you can do is to drive along a straight piece of road in 5th gear at 30mph and put your foot down.  If the revs jump at a disproportionate rate to your speed, your clutch is slipping.  I did this recently on a friend's mk2 with a suspect clutch and is was slipping badly.

My clutch is ok for now, though I suspect it may be on a slow descent to death as it’s 12 years old now and has mostly been used about town. The box is quite notchy and stiff at times.

13 hours ago, dtulip8 said:

My clutch is ok for now, though I suspect it may be on a slow descent to death as it’s 12 years old now and has mostly been used about town. The box is quite notchy and stiff at times.

Even though the manual boxes are "sealed for life" and don't have a fluid change interval, after 12 years the fluid in the box will probably be well and truly ready to be changed.

clutches used to come up more and more as they wear,

my one was too high when I got it of my sister and was horrid to drive at 110k put in an LUK clutch and its back to normal....

what often finished off a clutch that easily had another 40k miles in it, was the pedal hits an upper stop and engages the clutch more and more, as it causes wear so it causes it to engage more, slip more = new clutch.  In the good old days you simply adjusted and got another 5 years... auto adjusters you could get a long screw driver and get the quadrant to slip back allowing some play in the cable and drop the pedal height.... these days its game over

12 hours ago, 1979Damian said:

Even though the manual boxes are "sealed for life" and don't have a fluid change interval, after 12 years the fluid in the box will probably be well and truly ready to be changed.

I did have it changed earlier this year!

• 4 years later...
On 10/29/2018 at 7:56 PM, scoop64 said:

Hi iv just had a band new 3 peace clutch fitted on a 2009 1.8 zetec s. the biting point is at the end of my pedal when fully released. I keep hearing from people this isent right but then people say its self adjusting to me it's a pig to drive so I'm in the middle of an argument with the garage as its cost £630 and hasent made a blind bit of difference to the old clutch I'm also  haven trouble trying to find information about this. My partner had a new clutch fitted in an 2002 mk6 Ford fiesta and her clutch bitting point was just after realising the clutch I'm very confused if anyone could help it a be very much appreciated many thanks 

All petrol Fords have the biting point towards the top of the pedal.

In fact due to a master cylinder fault my ST150's clutch biting point fell towards the bottom of the pedal and it felt completely unnatural and made it difficult to get the car in and out of gear when the pedal was depressed.