Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Placing an order, spec , etc st-line (x)

Claire1234

Hello all I wonder if you can help

My son is 19 and coming up to 2 years NCB and we’ve been talking about getting him a new car.

He would love a ST2 but I think it’s a bit too much for a relatively new driver at his age and experience (this is just my point of view as a mum)

I think a ST-line would be a better choice from my perspective (and as I’m helping financially as he’s at university I still have some say in the choice)

My questions are firstly do you think I’m being reasonable asking him to consider a lesser powerful car ? (I’ve no idea about modern cars as I’m a vintage car driver so I could well be out of touch with what young people all drive power wise now)

Would you pick the X over the standard ST-line and would the 140 engine be the one to go for?

If you’ve ordered a build what options have you been really happy you added and are there any you could have lived without if you built again?

Ive used Carwow to get some quotes is there any thing I need to know about how the process works when trying to hit a deal price face to face? (They seeem to be coming back with 11% off roughly) 

Many thanks 

Always, budget dependant get the X over the bog standard st line. You get a lot of worthwhile extras.

Personally we could live without cruise control but it was a feature that came as part of the X package.

Now engine power depends upon the I strange quotes. For someone who is u see 25 I would definitely ring and ask your preferred insurer for s quote.

There is a big difference in the 100 and 140 bhp engines that the said insurer may charge a lot more for on the age of the driver.

19 is a young age with relatively little experience and I wouldn't like to think an insurer would sting you so always ask first, it is worthwhile.

If you have used car wow, make sure it is the car and spec you want and they have priced for. Use the best quote as your base price with the dealer.

You don't need to take the likes of Gap insurance etc as it is overpriced with the dealer, you can get it cheaper online, about a third of the price.

Deposit goes a long way in negotiation... the more you put in the better bartering options you have.... in my experience.

Get a monthly repayment price in your head, maybe the max you want to pay, and stick to that as much as you can. There has to be give and take on both sides...

If you aren't happy with the price always be prepared to walk away, there are many dealerships and it is a buyers market for new cars.

Good luck.

Thanks very much , I’ll look into the insurance and see if that makes the decision easier. I’m slightly worried as we live in the countryside but he’s in Reading at uni so I guess that’s going to be a much higher risk area. 

In your case with a young driver I wouldn't consider the ST.   Go for the 100 ecoboost.   Once he's driven it he'll be delighted.   It drives like a 1.6 and is a lot cheaper to insure and to drive.

• Like 1

Thanks yes , he’s currently driving a very old 1.2 Corsa so I don’t think he realises how much things have changed in the years in between , he’s home from uni next week so will get a test drive and hopefully that will open his eyes.

Oh, forgot to mention, you need to work out your average annual mileage if you decide to take the PCP option. Obviously the monthly repayment differs with expected mileage.

You're only young once...if he can afford the running costs I don't see any reason not to go for the Fiesta ST, it's specifically marketed at younger drivers and best to go for something fun before he's got the commitments of family & mortgage etc...

You can drive just as dangerously in a 1.0 as you can in a 1.5 if desired...  As long as he's sensible, it should be fine.  I bought a 130bhp diesel Golf and remapped it to 180bhp at 19 and didn't die, didn't have a single bump either, it's about knowing the limits and only pushing the car at the right time & place.  

I don't think you're being unreasonable by suggesting a 1.0 ST-Line, especially as you're helping towards it, but it really isn't the same as the ST.  If the costs aren't massively different, get him to test both and see if it's worth the extra for the ST.  Nothing worse than wishing you'd spent a bit extra on a better car...I've plenty of experience of that! :laugh: 

If you do go for the ST-Line, definitely add the X pack imo!

Thanks Tom I completely get your point, I’m just finding it worrying as a mother and I do think he’s a sensible lad. I panic now when he drives home up the motorway in his old Corsa but the safety features in these newer cars appeal to me also.

• Like 1

Tricky question, this. Financially, there's little difference on list price between the ST-2 and ST-Line X. Spec-wise the ST-2 lacks the factory sat nav but does have Apple Car Play and Android Auto capability.

I understand your worries regarding performance, but as others mention, you can still do something silly in a lesser powered car and at least the ST-2 has the brakes etc to match. With the move to zero emissions, cars like the ST-2 are not going to be around for that much longer, and as @TomsFocus mentioned, I certainly regretted not having certain cars while they were available.

Your son sounds like a sensible young man. Why not try a couple of test drives to see what he thinks, as Tom suggests. As @Bobrmentions, the Fiesta even in ST-Line trim should be a big improvement on the Corsa. Could I make the further suggestion that, if he is set on the ST-2, he does an advanced or high performance driving course, and/or tries a track based experience to see how a performance car behaves in a controlled environment? I've done a fair number of these over the years, through work or on my own initiative, and picked up some useful tips and had fun in the process.

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply , he’s home soon so test drives to be done on both. I’d probably feel better if he did some advanced driving so that’s a great suggestion.

Personally, I wouldn't let my 19 year old lad (if I had one) anywhere near an ST or even an ST Line 140. It used to be that insurers wouldn't touch anyone under 25 for high powered cars.
I'm 35 and I'm still shocked by how quick the 140 is and I've been driving 17 years. It still catches me out at times with the power and that it's a turbo.
An ST-Line 100 EB would be just as good and would probably be a lot cheaper than a 140 or even an ST. 
The ST-Line has the added bonus of looking like an ST with the body kit, 17" wheels etc but the drive is much better for day to day use as the suspension isn't as stiff and doesn't have racing bucket style seats.

I would definitely suggest paying for an advanced driving course through IAM (Institute of Advanced Motoring) as it can teach more about car control and economical driving. 
I was half way through my IAM training when I had to give up due to losing my job at the time. 

Thanks Nick , taking all comments on board , it’s hard to know what these cars do nowerdays, I had a mg midget and sunbeam alpine in my youth so lots of fun at the time but nothing like today’s cars.

1 hour ago, Claire1234 said:

I had a mg midget and sunbeam alpine in my youth so lots of fun at the time but nothing like today’s cars.

I had a Mk 3 MG Midget back in the day. I loved it to bits, but (even looking back through rose-tinted spectacles) can definitely confirm that the brakes, roadholding etc on the ST-Line are in a completely different league altogether!

Hi,

If you need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.

I dread to think what the insurance on an ST would be for a teenage driver.

Insurance group 28 (between 10 and 15 for the ST-Line depending on engine).

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I dread to think what the insurance on an ST would be for a teenage driver.

Insurance group 28 (between 10 and 15 for the ST-Line depending on engine).

I just realised that my Mk7 ST is insurance group 30! There are at least some advantages of getting older!

Insurance groups don't mean anything, the insurers make up their own.  I've had quotes £200 more for a lower ABI group!  When I asked why, they told me each insurer alters the groups based on their own stats.

St-2 looks like £760 for him with 2 years no claims fully comp no black box with Admiral (£640 for 10 months on a no claims discount accelerator policy )

St-2 looks like £760 for him with 2 years no claims fully comp no black box with Admiral (£640 for 10 months on a no claims discount accelerator policy )
That's good!

I’ve sort of said no to the ST2 at this stage and was pushing the St-Line , possibly a VW Up GTI, Mazda 2 but he’s suggesting Honda Civic 182ps vtec turbo or Astra 1.6t as ST2 alternatives. I don’t think he’s understood smaller engines are so much more powerful now that he doesn’t need anything that big.

4 hours ago, Claire1234 said:

I’ve sort of said no to the ST2 at this stage and was pushing the St-Line , possibly a VW Up GTI, Mazda 2 but he’s suggesting Honda Civic 182ps vtec turbo or Astra 1.6t as ST2 alternatives. I don’t think he’s understood smaller engines are so much more powerful now that he doesn’t need anything that big.

Sorry but I reckon there's some unclear thinking going on here! Different categories of car have entered the discussion.

The VW Up is a very small hatchback, ideal for the driver and one passenger but not much more.

The Fiesta and Mazda 2 are small hatchbacks, excellent general-purpose vehicles for the driver and one passenger plus sometimes carrying one or two more people for modest distances.

The Astra and Civic are family-size. Better suited if long-haul main road and motorway journeys are to be a regular occurrence and also if several passengers are to be frequently carried.

Then there's the question of how many doors. Three doors looks a bit more “sporty” but lots of people don't like the feeling of being trapped in the back seat of a 3-door hatch. Getting in or out tends to be awkward, maybe not too bad for youngsters!  

Now I know nothing of this young chap's situation and his intended use for the vehicle but I would guess that any new Fiesta with at least 100 bhp would be absolutely wonderful. 

Tony , it’s me suggesting the smaller cars ( I suggested the Up GTI and Mazda 2 as cars that sort of came up in comparison tests )and him picking the bigger engine ones. I think the conversation will be easier once he’s actually driven something moderden compared to his very old 1.2 Corsa. I’m pretty sure he’s thinking a 1.0 is a backwards step in terms of power against what he has.

The car will be for pottereing around Reading and motorway trips home probably once a month back to Somerset.....well at least for next year and a half whilst he’s at uni there. Thanks 

I think Tony has summed things up pretty well there. Can't see why any youngster would want an Astra or Civic (except a Type R - but let's not go there!) nowadays, they're whoppers compared with the size they were a few years ago, and a lot less "sporty" to drive ( if that's what's wanted) than an ST-Line.

I think an Up! GTI  could be a good option. My Mrs currently has a SEAT Mii which is virtually the same as the Up!, and it's very spacious upfront, a little tight in the back but surprisingly useful boot. I had a good test of a GTI a little while ago and was very impressed with it.

You're right, the 1.0 litre turbos found in the Fiesta and the Up! are infinitely better than something like the engine in his Corsa, both in terms of performance and general "fun factor". Surprised your lad hasn't picked up on that from the web, unless he's a rare exception - most teens seem to be glued to it ( mind you, we're not much better on here, come to think of it!😀).

Yes, back when I owned a Fiesta 1.25 I had a Fiesta Ecoboost 1.0 courtesy car while it was being serviced and the improved power and acceleration was very noticeable.

I wanted to come back and thank you all. Son drove an St-Line x 125 today and loved the car and the 1.0 engine ..... nothing like saying “I told you so” regarding the power against a 14 year old 1.2 Corsa ! The only problem was the one they had in stock in 3 doors was blue wave and we didn’t like the colour. They had the magnetic but in 5 door but that had the free red pack trim in it which he loved.

Now trying to find a red 3 door 125 with the red style pack or a black one with it..... it’s not easy as very few about seem to have the red accent interior so could be forced to spec a new one. We were hoping that there was a 6 month old one floating around but just can’t find it. Some come close but second hand seem dearer than a new price I got on Carwow.

• Like 1