Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Power start button and glow plugs

steviec2000

Hi, been struggling to start my 2.0 diesel Galaxy over the past few days as it's got colder.

Local garage thinks I may need to let the glow plugs heat up for a few seconds more before starting the car. 

Question is how do I do that with a push button start, as the car been just starting itself when I push the start button?

With mine (which is an Auto) pushing the button won't start the car if you don't have your foot on the break, it just turns the ignition on.  I've had the same issue since I've I had mine from new and I just do that during the winter months.

On my cmax i get the msg start pending this is the glow plugs warming up. But on my mondeos 2ltr tdci i never had to wait for glow plugs and  as you have the same engine nor should you till temp below -5 i seem to recall, is your battery in good condition?

Yes, battery only changed last week. I've never seen a message about start pending, the other day when it was -2 degrees when I tried to start the car as soon as I pushed the start button (mine is a diesel automatic) it tried to start from the off, but didn't actually until the 4th start button press

Only other thing does recently is I've had a new cambelt and water pump on. But no general starting issues (only when really cold the other morning) and nothing rough about the engine in general?

5 hours ago, veridion said:

With mine (which is an Auto) pushing the button won't start the car if you don't have your foot on the break, it just turns the ignition on.  I've had the same issue since I've I had mine from new and I just do that during the winter months.

So do you press the start button but without putting your foot on the brake, does this pre start the glow plugs or something?