Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2009 1.8tdci focus titanium engine issue, HELLPP!!

Jbryan18

Hi folks, just wondering if any of you could help me out. When I’m driving my car there’s a loud hissing noise that increases with volume when I go to change gear. Once I’ve changed gear and brought the clutch pedal back up it sounds like a big release of air. I can only describe it as like a dump valve effect. I’m assuming that I have a leaky/split hose or something. Please help! I have my mot due soon so need to get it sorted ASAP lol.

Thanks in advance for your time and efforts :)

1 hour ago, Jbryan18 said:

Hi folks, just wondering if any of you could help me out. When I’m driving my car there’s a loud hissing noise that increases with volume when I go to change gear. Once I’ve changed gear and brought the clutch pedal back up it sounds like a big release of air. I can only describe it as like a dump valve effect. I’m assuming that I have a leaky/split hose or something. Please help! I have my mot due soon so need to get it sorted ASAP lol.

Thanks in advance for your time and efforts :)

One of the few weaknesses in the Lynx engine is the small 90 degree shaped intercooler hose.  If you're looking at the engine from the front of the car, top left hand corner there's a small hose (90 degree angle shaped) and it's made from a plasticky rubber that over time goes brittle and cracks.  You can pick up a silicone replacement part on eBay for less that £10 and it'll last longer than the car or you can buy the same part from Ford for probably £40+ and it'll have the same inherent weakness.

There's a few on here (me included) that have had the issue and it's a nice easy one to sort.  There is the potential for it to be the bottom hose (front left hand corner if looking at the engine) but this one seems to be a lot less prone to failure.

• Like 1

Thanks for your response, I’ve found the problem there’s a small split in that 90degree tube, any chance could you link me the part on ford website so I can get one ordered 🙂

The Ford part number is 1496238 and when I needed one 3-4 years ago they wanted £46 for a part that isn't up to the job.

Just get a silicone one of eBay, like this one (item 263974680061), £7.41, job done.